Corsair Community

New HX1200i tripping on start up

Fidaros

• Corsair Employee
Have you had any word from the escalations or support?

I got a snappy response from support. :(

You're not going to believe this, but the dude that was getting the failed units back to me is on PTO for the week. :(

I did find an HX1200 in the US warehouse with the same lot code, so I can try that.

And we did manage to find an Asus Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi in the office, so I have a rig I can test on.

• Corsair Employee

Ok. Got some failed units back from you guy. Tested them on an ASUS X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi which is the board "Turnip" was having problems with. Fired right up. Tried it at 115V and 230V. Still fired up and boot right into Windows.

So if you've tried different BIOS revisions and it still doesn't work, there must be a board revision that is incompatible.

I did try 2 different BIOS versions, 1302 and 1602. As for the board revision, I can't verify that unfortunately. I did RMA the board which still had the same problem with the HX1200i.

3 HX1200i have failed to work with my board while the RM850x just happily works and wishes I won't trade it out.

I need a power supply soon because I've already gotten 2 additional harddisks which I will need to add into the system soon. The 3080/3090 remains elusive but that is definitely in the plans to speed up my ML work.

Edited by Fidaros

I am not an electrician but I am wondering that since all the problems seem to be UK based, is it possibly an issue of the HX1200i and the UK AC voltage/frequency that is having a problem?

Do the other Europeans on 230V have any issues? Can you get one of your UK partner retailers to test with a new HX1200i and a motherboard in their inventory?

I am not an electrician but I am wondering that since all the problems seem to be UK based, is it possibly an issue of the HX1200i and the UK AC voltage/frequency that is having a problem?

Do the other Europeans on 230V have any issues? Can you get one of your UK partner retailers to test with a new HX1200i and a motherboard in their inventory?

In US and Canada we use 115V so I am slightly limited for power per rig.

My HX1000i has been rock stable. A friend with 2 HX1000 PSU has no problems but now ne is using an AX1600i.

• Corsair Employee

UK uses 230V 50Hz just like the rest of the EU.

Ok. Got some failed units back from you guy. Tested them on an ASUS X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi which is the board "Turnip" was having problems with. Fired right up. Tried it at 115V and 230V. Still fired up and boot right into Windows.

So if you've tried different BIOS revisions and it still doesn't work, there must be a board revision that is incompatible.

Strange that the replacement HX1200i works fine and also my older AX860i works fine with my motherboard (been powering the motherboard for the last year). The only reason why i replaced the AX860i was due to age and also i used the HX1200i with it's supplied cables and not using the AX860i cables just incase anyone asks.

Edited by Turnip

• Corsair Employee
Strange that the replacement HX1200i works fine and also my older AX860i works fine with my motherboard (been powering the motherboard for the last year). The only reason why i replaced the AX860i was due to age and also i used the HX1200i with it's supplied cables and not using the AX860i cables just incase anyone asks.

Well, I measured the power good signal too, and while it's fast (135ms to 150ms) it's within spec (100 to 500ms). So it could be that Asus has changed something on their motherboards that's expecting the power good signal much later (like after 200ms).

Well, I measured the power good signal too, and while it's fast (135ms to 150ms) it's within spec (100 to 500ms). So it could be that Asus has changed something on their motherboards that's expecting the power good signal much later (like after 200ms).

I wonder why the replacement works fine?

Putting together a new workstation and my Hx1200i also trips exactly like yours. My unit shipped from china but it seems that when it was manufactured it was not intended for the USA. The cord that came with it had a different plug.

You are seeing this same exact problem I had with a MSI motherboard in the USA?

Does your HX1200i's serial number start with 203471 or 203871?

The workstation I am replacing has a HX750i. That machine is 4 years old. I took out the HX750i and put that into the new build I am doing and it boots just fine. There is obviously an issue with the HX1200i. I will be contacting corsair on Monday.

I am in the USA but I do not believe the unit was intended for the USA when manufactured because of the cord it came with. There is a shortage here in the USA for this product. My unit serial number starts with 2036714

I have noticed that too. Not sure what gives other that retailers sold out and waiting on more inventory or if new models are expected soon.

• Corsair Employee
The workstation I am replacing has a HX750i. That machine is 4 years old. I took out the HX750i and put that into the new build I am doing and it boots just fine. There is obviously an issue with the HX1200i. I will be contacting corsair on Monday.

When you get the support ticket from Corsair support, can you DM me the ticket number?

Also, exactly what motherboard are you using? Is it this one: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X299-PRO/

Thanks!

Edited by jonnyguru

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to follow up.

Firstly thanks to Corsair customer support and jonnyguru here for all your help and support. You guys rock!

Regrettably, I took the refund option after 3 HX1200is failed and went with another brand as I was desperate and just picked anything that was available. This PSU arrived 5 days ago and it worked right away and has been happily churning since.

I have always had great experiences with Corsair products and this will not deter me from still being a Corsair customer. You tried your best to make things right and I really appreciate it. I will still look to Corsair for all my future needs in coolers, PSUs, memory, etc.

I wish you the best and hope you get to the bottom of the HX1200i problems!

Thanks for posting.

We've learned more since this thread was last updated.

My final question to you is: What's the temperature in the room you're operating the PC in at the time you try to power on?

My room is often kept cool. Typically it's always kept between 62-68 fahrenheit.

I do remember that with the first HX1200i, there was a indian summer and we were having warm days so it was definitely above those temperatures. The whole of October became very cold and that's definitely when the 2 replacement HX1200is were tried and didn't work at all.

Today's cold though, my room was 59 degrees when I fired up my PC.

And if you need any more info, feel free to ask. I will jump right in when I see the notifications.

• Corsair Employee
My room is often kept cool. Typically it's always kept between 62-68 fahrenheit.

I do remember that with the first HX1200i, there was a indian summer and we were having warm days so it was definitely above those temperatures. The whole of October became very cold and that's definitely when the 2 replacement HX1200is were tried and didn't work at all.

Today's cold though, my room was 59 degrees when I fired up my PC.

And if you need any more info, feel free to ask. I will jump right in when I see the notifications.

Yeah. What we've found is that there's a component in there that doesn't like cold. Which is odd since the part is rated to operate from -20° to 85°C. But we used a thermal chamber and dropped the temps and the PSU stopped turning on. No power good signal. Turned up the temperature and the PSU started to work.

That makes a lot of sense. I was spying on Turnip's case and the date he reports his replacement HX1200i failing, coincides with the sudden drop in temperatures. The UK last week was having a rather warm fall and this week, it started turning on the freeze sort of Tuesday/Wednesday-ish, depending on which part of the UK you are in.

If the heating has been turned on in the house, it could have been warm enough until the sudden drop this week which would have changed things.

Anyway, I'm glad you got to the root of the problem. I am sorry I couldn't wait for the fix though.