The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Enthusiasts Section > Overclocking and Benchmarking

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2020, 12:38 AM
Eberhard's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1062403
Eberhard Reputation: 10
Default Wanting to overclock

Been wanting to learn to overclock my current build so I can get it running correctly, started another thread thinking the RAM was the issue but wasn't so I'm thinking it's just not stable but other than using the XMPI/II I don't know almost anything about overclocking as I've never seen the point personally. Thing is the setup for both XMP's sets the RAM to 2666, like I want, but games always eventually lock up the system. I've already tried new ram so now I have 64gb's of ram as faulty hardware isn't the issue, and also a new gpu because we thought that was the problem the first time.

I've so far read around online that unstable overclocking can make your computer freeze/lock up and/or BSOD randomly or very often if setup wrong. I figured the XMP files would automatically be alright as it's what the RAM was tested for but maybe not. If anyone has any video's or guides how to do it step by step or if anyone has a similar build or the same exact build!

Been tempted to take the ram a little lower and possibly give the CPU a couple steps up for voltage as that can freeze/crash your computer too I'm sure.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:53 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 1063225
Corsair Mint Reputation: 31

XMP is an overclock of the RAM, but at 2666 MHz, that's not too high that it should be causing major issues. Have you tried memtest to verify that the kit you have doesn't have errors? Also, try testing your drives to see if they may be causing an issue as well.

Old 09-29-2020, 03:52 PM

POST ID # = 1063380
jimboj Reputation: 10

Having read this it made me wonder where would i find a general guide to overclocking?

Tags
newbie, overclocking, unstable, xmp