Corsair Community

Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9

Crylon

Hi there, I'm having a problem with my current ram and wanted to know which settings I should use.

When I set my dram configuration manually to :

Dram freq.: DDR3-1866

tcl:9

tRCD:10

tRP:9

tRAS:27

DRAM voltage : 1,5

..I get instability issues when running intel burn test with cpuz and core temp.When I leave the dram settings on auto my system works perfectly.

So how should I set it to work?

.I get instability issues when running intel burn test with cpuz and core temp.When I leave the dram settings on auto my system works perfectly.

So how should I set it to work?

Use the timings that are printed on the label. Those should be the correct timings . Or run CPUz and look at the SPD tab to see what the XMP timings are.

Your instability issues could be just a needed bump in memory controller voltage.You can go as high as 1.25v with that.

Have you tried to back the frequency down to 1600mhz and see if your system is more stable?

You should also test each stick individually with memtest in the same slot to be sure one is not failing.Load setup defaults and run each stick through memtest one at a time for about 3 passes or until you get an error.Theres a link to the correct version of memtest in the left side of the forums.

186mhz is a pretty high memory overclock and it may be just that your CPU cant handle the overclok. The I5's are not the best for overclocking.

The timings are 9-10-9-27 1.5V but if I enter those into the bios I get instability issues...

I will post what cpuz shows for my ram (when bios is set to auto dram configuration).

Do you think those readings are correct ?

mem1.JPG.01a4382a58f098fab22bdbb2d20df3ed.JPG

mem2.JPG.b561c4d98bdb026416491a4aeeab2eae.JPG

Yes those are correct for default settings. It sets the RAM to 1333mmhz which is the max frequency your CPU supports. Any frequency above that is overclocking and then all bets are off.

The timings are 9-10-9-27 1.5V but if I enter those into the bios I get instability issues...
Those are the correct timings for 1866mhz. But overclocking is highly CPU dependent. And not all CPU's within the same family act the same either as fasr as overclocking goes. one chip may OC great , but the very next one off the line may not overclock as well as the last.

Did you try lowering the frequency to 1600mhz with the XMP timings?

Have you tested each stick individually?

Did you try adding memory controller voltage?

What happens if you load setup defaults and then enable XMP?
: Same result, its unstable

-I've tested every sincle stick, no problems at all

What is the setting called to change the memory controller voltage?

I will try another freq. (1600mhz) and see what happens

What is the setting called to change the memory controller voltage?

It can be called a few different things. QPI/VTT, or VCCSA are the most common ones. If you can take a screen shot of you BIOS settings it would be easy to point out to you.

At any rate you can try 1.15v with that setting and can go as high as 1.25v but no more than that.

If you see one labeled VCCIO, leave that one alone.:)

From Toms hardware...

Intel Processors

Intel processors use the following voltages (the names below are the official ones):

VCC: This is the main CPU voltage, which can also be unofficially referred as Vcore. Usually, when we say “CPU voltage” we are talking about this voltage. The option that changes this voltage will show up on the motherboard setup as “CPU Voltage,” “CPU Core,” etc.

VTT: This is the voltage rail that feeds the integrated memory controller (on CPUs that have this component), the QPI bus (on CPUs that have this component), the FSB termination (on CPUs that are based on this architecture), the L3 memory cache (on CPUs that have this feature), the thermal control bus (PECI, Platform Environmental Control Interface, on CPUs that have this feature, except from second-generation Core i processors on, where this bus is fed by the VCCIO voltage) and other circuits, depending on the CPU. It is important to understand that on AMD CPUs, “VTT” is the name of a different voltage; the VTT on Intel CPUs is the equivalent of the VDDNB from AMD CPUs. This voltage can be changed through options such as “CPU VTT,” “CPU FSB,” “IMC Voltage,” and “QPI/VTT Voltage.”

VCCSA: Starting with the second-generation Core i processors (“Sandy Bridge”), the VTT voltage was renamed to VCCSA, and is called “system agent.” It feeds the integrated PCI Express controller, memory controller, and display engine (i.e., the “2D” part of the graphics engine).

VCCIO: Available starting with the second-generation Core i CPUs (“Sandy Bridge”), this voltage is used for feeding all input/output (I/O) pins of the CPU, except memory-related pins. On CPUs that have this voltage, it is also used to feed the thermal control bus (PECI, Platform Environmental Control Interface).

VCCPLL: Voltage used by the CPU clock multiplier (PLL, Phase-Locked Loop). This voltage can be changed through an option called “CPU PLL Voltage.”

VAXG: Voltage used by the video controller embedded inside the CPU, on CPUs that have this component. This option can be called by names such as “Graphics Core,” “GFX Voltage,” “IGP Voltage,” “IGD Voltage,” and “VAXG Voltage.”

CPU clock voltage: Some motherboards allow you to increase the voltage of the CPU base clock, through options called “CPU Clock Driving Control” or “CPU Amplitude Control.”

So it will be VCCSA in your BIOS under the OCtweaker menu. I would start of with 1.15v and see if that helps stability.

I will try another freq. (1600mhz) and see what happens
Did you try this? What was the outcome?

I tried VCCSA settings of :

-1.107 and 1.2V with 9-10-9-27 2T 1.5V but without any luck.... next step will be lowering dram frequency.. I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed not to be able to use the full potential of my ram

By the way, I noticed that I also have a setting called VTT voltage in my bios... don't you think that's the right one? I'm asking cause it also corresponds to the values you posted.

In the VCCSA setting I can only change it to 4 different values... in the VTT voltage I have many more... including 1.15 and max 1.25 as you mentioned

By the way, I noticed that I also have a setting called VTT voltage in my bios... don't you think that's the right one?

Yeah i did notice that as well. It wont hurt to try it. If does not work, just set it back.

Try it with 1866mhz first and if it wont run at 1866 try 1600.

The only problem left is I dont know how to set tRC to 48 ... I cant find that setting in my bios... does it maybe have another name??

And what about command rate 2T? In my bios it shows as command rate : 2N is that the same?

The settings I can change under dram configuration are :

Write recovery time tWR

Frefresh cycle time tRFC

RAS To RAS Delay tRRD

Write to read Delay tWTR

Read to Precharge tRTP

Four active windows tFAW

These are all set to auto at the moment, do I have to change them to get maximum performance? All I want to do is set my ram correctly to ddr3-1866 9-10-9-27 2T tRC48.

This is what everest and cpuz show :

everestcpuz.thumb.JPG.5e4a64e4cc807b16193512a94c487f47.JPG

hese are all set to auto at the moment, do I have to change them to get maximum performance? All I want to do is set my ram correctly to ddr3-1866 9-10-9-27 2T tRC48.

This is what everest and cpuz show :

All you need to do is set the first four values and the leave the rest on auto. By the first four i mean 9-10-9-27 and make sure command rate is 2t.

And what about command rate 2T? In my bios it shows as command rate : 2N is that the same?

Yes, they are the same.

I cant tell what your memory is running at from the screen grab. That is the SPD tab and that just shows the JDEC tables and not what the memory is actually running at.

Can you post the MEMORY tab in either CPUz or everest.

Have you tried 1600mhz yet? I'm not trying to be pushy about it, it would just help diagnose the issue. If they run fine at 1600mhmz, then this is most likely your CPU not wanting to overclock to 1866mhz.

I was asking about how to set the tRC value because this one guy with the same ram as me told me that only by entering that exact value of 48 will enable me to use the ram on 1866 mhz. I would like to try that first, then I'll move over to 1600mhz..

Hello,

Crylon, as I said to you in an other place, the test doesnt pass successfuly even by entering everything manually.

Its not CPU related, I pushed the vCore and still not working. I'll try to push QPI/VTT, and then if it doesnt work i'll downclock @ 1600mhz if any one give me the timmings for this frequency. There is barely no difference between 1866mhz and 1600mhz. And it seem that this Corsair kit is knowned to fail @ 1866mhz, just google it...

If I knowned that I must run it @ 1600mhz, I should bought the 1600mhz kit, wich is less expensive...

So,

Same problem here. XMP profile loaded, so, all things to auto.

Tried to push my Vcore @ 1.416 temporaly to try, still getting errors at the IntelBurnTest (LinPack).

or

Set to Standart and set one by one tCas, tRas, tRC, tRFC etc (provided by AIDA64 and CPU-z)... manually for 1866mhz

Tried to push my Vcore @ 1.416 temporaly to try, still getting errors at the IntelBurnTest (LinPack).

So its not the CPU.

Do we have to push QPI/VTT or vRam to handle 1866mhz ?

It could be only the RAM controller of the mobo who can't handle, or we have a bad batch of memory kit which cannot handle 1866 @ 1.5v.

I read that only few kit (very good batch can handle 1866 @ 1.5 for 9-10-9-27-48-2T)

I'll try to push QPI/VTT to 1.15 and vRam to 1.60/1.65.

I read at techpowerup that the Vengeance kit, must run @ 1.60/1.65v for 9-10-9.

All vengeance are the same component, like processor, they test them and if they can handle X.mhz for Y.volt they are destined to be is "Z" category. We have a bad batch... that all...

If still not working @ QPI/VTT1.15 and vRam to 1.60/1.65, i'll go to 1600mhz and 1.5v.

I could test @ 1600mhz, Dear Corsair can I have the timings for this frenquency (1600mhz), (i have for 1333mhz and lower, and for 1866mhz, but not for 1600mhz)

My procc is also a 2500K.

Hmm thats interesting!

Anyways I tried lowering the dram frequency to 1600 and voilà...it works perfectly fine.

Take a look at the screenshot I took :

I simply changed the dram frequency and left the command rate on 2T... the rest on auto

dram1600.thumb.JPG.50c1fa54a8d32b7f9d25688690bb11de.JPG

Good to know,

for 1600 it can handle 9-9-9-24 I think, 9-10-9-27 is high (very bad) for 1600.

You will test 1866 9-10-9-27 @ 1.6/1.65 ?

You will test 1600 8-8-8-24 @1.6 ? or 9-9-9-24 @1.5

I can't test now i'm @ work :(

And you should o/c your procc ;)

I wont test a Dram Voltage of over 1,5V because my motherboard won't support it...at this point I would like a stable dram configuration for ddr3-1600 and then I will move on to oc my cpu.

Are you sure 9-10-9-27 is too high for 1600mhz, when set to auto those are the values it uses and so far it seems stable..... peanutz, what do you think?

Yes its stable because high timming = more easy to handle for the RAM ^^

Lower timming = best perf, but "less easy to handle".

If you want to be sure 100% of the stability set 12-12-12 ^^

A ram @ 1600mhz can handle 9-9-9-24 or 9-10-9-27 @ 1.5v i m pretty sure.

It depend also of the voltage = High voltage = can set lower timming and higher frenquency.

I tried setting it to 8-8-8-24 2T 1,5V and it seems stable!! Are these good timings, should I be happy? :)

Question is :

Will BF3 stop crashing ? ^^

you can try 1866 9-10-9-27 @ 1.6v you have good mobo and good PSU...

And be ready to o/c your procc :) 3.4 is low for a 2500k, it go easy to 4/4.2 :D

Can't wait to go home and set my ram @ 1.6 :D i ll tell you if running :)

Archived