Corsair Community

GS700 - Changing auto fan settings

Conjal

Hello,

I have a GS700, that is making that annoying buzzing noise that others are talking about on the forums. I have filled in a RMA request, but after postage research. I found that it was going to basically cost the same amount to ship this off as it would to buy a new PSU.

So my question is this, is there anyway that I can change the auto fan setting of this PSU? So that I can just have the fan running all the time? I would rather they sound of that then this annoying buzz when gaming.

Thank you for your assistance.

Well, any mod like this is a warranty-killer, as you probably realize. I've modded a few supplies over the years to make the fan run faster. Typically there's a thermistor screwed to one of the large heat sinks that serves as the sensor for the speed controller. Thermistors are temperature-dependent variable resistors whose resistance varies inversely with temperature. So to make the controller "think" the heat sink is warmer than it is, thus running the fan faster, you have to install a fixed resistor in parallel with the thermistor. Now note that this is not a mod that idiots ought to be undertaking! There are lethal-level voltages inside those supplies and if you don't know what you're doing, you can have some pretty off-the-rails outcomes. Anyway, if you DO know what you're doing, and have proper equipment and supplies to make the mod safely, this will probably accomplish what you're after.

FWIW, I've found a variety of thermistors used, ranging from 1-2K to around 10K at room ambient temperature, so you'll need to have an assortment of fixed resistors on hand to test until you find a value that works for you. It's been a while since I've done one of these, but IIRC, I needed to add a value somewhere around 2X to 3X the room temperature value.

Please use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can replace it for another unit that does not have that issue.

Yeah like I said in the first post "I have filled in a RMA request, but after postage research. I found that it was going to basically cost the same amount to ship this off as it would to buy a new PSU."

-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the advise "GeneralEclectic", but I really don't have much on an idea when it comes to electrics, I was more looking to see if there was some kind of software out there that could control the settings... But thanks a bunch for the tips.

• Corsair Employee
I send customer service a message to change it to another model,and asked them to take care of the shipping since its less than 30 days old. But if you want to get an advanced RMA you will need to call them by phone and you can do this from free by calling the Toll free number listed under Contact on the main site using SKYPE.

Archived