Corsair Community

XD5 Pump not turning on

MGriff

Hello all,

I have built a new computer over the last couple of months (having built my first in 2014 and not upgraded and components) and all of the parts are new.

After completing installation and gaming for a few weeks, I decided to give liquid cooling a go. I wanted to cool both the CPU and GPU. Unfortunately it was hard finding a compatible block for my Zotac 2080 Super AMP. I got one from another company (not sure if I can mention the name, re forum rules) and shipped it over from China. I thought I would stick with the same manufacturer for the pump and CPU block too, to keep the components and metals consistent in my new build.

I connected everything, filled up the reservoir and powered it on but the pump did not come on - it didn't move the water out into the system or make any kind of sound. I only had the molex connector in my PSU, with the ATX cable bridged.

Suspecting it was a faulty pump (partly because of the above and partly because the box it was shipped in had already been opened and there were no instructions etc) I decided to buy the Corsair XD5 instead.

I installed the XD5 pump this morning although I had trouble fitting it to the front radiator because the GPU is so long...it also means I can't use the CableMod verticle GPU mount. After connecting the ports and plugging the unused ones, I filled up the reservoir and proceeded to power on. Nothing happened, again no sound or movement of water. I hooked up the RGB to the commander pro together with the PWM cable to fan port 6 and the temp sensor to temp 1. This time the lighting came straight on and so did the case fans of course, but nothing to the pump. I switched my PSU although a faulty PSU was contraindicated by its own fan coming on and of course power to the SATA components. I switched the molex 3 times and nothing.

I really don't know what else to try. I have watched a few Corsair install videos, read forums, read the manual but cannot think of what to try next.

Any help would be appreciated. Happy to upload any photos or try anything. Not sure if you can see the spec attached to my profile but happy to upload.

In image 3 I have the 6 case fans plugged into fans ports 1-4 (there are two splitters) and PWM control for the pump in port 6.

Thanks a lot.

Matt

1031949950_Image1.thumb.jpg.96afbadae4baace7ee03d00d658f08a4.jpg

1465399031_Image2.thumb.jpg.71d9145a22d7c273f7e5c1d8c2bbf335.jpg

935214989_Image3.thumb.jpg.5bcf1d64c6d0cc7b0b2333336eee54f0.jpg

Did you try to start the PSU with the pump PWM connexion unplugged from the Commander pro ?

You should unplug it for filling, to default the pump to 100%

Hi LeDoyen. I didn't have the PWM connected to the commander pro when I first tried it and when it didn't work I tried it whilst connected. No difference :/

at this stage i'd go back to basics : is the pump powered? Check with a multimeter on the molex connector if you have your 12V.

Since the other fans start spinning, you know your PSU and the 24 pin bridge are OK, and so is the SATA extension.

• Corsair Employee

Checking with a multimeter if you have 12V on the molex would be a good idea. Especially since you experienced the same with your first pump.

If you have any older PSU unit lying around, you can try to confirm the functionality of the pump motor.

For the test and later on when filling the system, keep the 4-pin fan connector of the pump unplugged from the Commander PRO. This way the pump will run at 100%.

at this stage i'd go back to basics : is the pump powered? Check with a multimeter on the molex connector if you have your 12V.

Since the other fans start spinning, you know your PSU and the 24 pin bridge are OK, and so is the SATA extension.

Thanks for this. I've checked both sides of the molex, 5v and 12v showing on my multimeter. I made an enquiry with the website which sold me the XD5 and they did an RMA straight away, so I assume they will test and repair/replace it as appropriate.

It might be me. This is the second computer I have built and I don't have much experience.

On the first pump (not the XD5) there are 12v and 5v molex ports for the pump and integrated digital display respectively. Neither of them worked when connected to the PSU. I swapped 3 different molex cables and 2 different PSUs. I then tested the power through the molex via my multimetre and it comes up ~12v and 5v (see attached). So I was sure that pump was broken.

When I bought the XD5 and installed it, only to have the pump on that not work as well, I assumed it must be me... I suppose I will know for sure when they test it. I will post on here to let you know what they say!

In any event I am sure the first pump is faulty. I was a bit surprised when it arrived in a box which had already been opened, with no instructions and with masking tape on the front of the box with Chinese (I think) writing. Not sure what it says though...I have raised a ticket with the shop and they are giving me a bit of a run around...

752822777_Upload1.thumb.jpg.2b477a88589d925ce21f272c3c6f6d2c.jpg

1705119189_Upload2.thumb.jpg.00adda138b39350ea56683ee03e7cba1.jpg

Checking with a multimeter if you have 12V on the molex would be a good idea. Especially since you experienced the same with your first pump.

If you have any older PSU unit lying around, you can try to confirm the functionality of the pump motor.

For the test and later on when filling the system, keep the 4-pin fan connector of the pump unplugged from the Commander PRO. This way the pump will run at 100%.

Hi Greg,

Sorry, I neglected to quote you. Thanks. I saw your input on other threads as well as LeDoyen's and I tested the pump without the 4-pin attached, to - as I understand it - default the pump to 100% speed. I will repost on here when I know what the vendor says about it when they test anyway.

Thanks a lot,

Matt

So the Chinese pump manufacturer (first pump I bought) agreed to refund the purchase price in full, together with shipping costs.

The Corsair XD5 (the second pump) has just been tested by the English company and found to have a fault in the pump. They're replacing it now.

This is my first custom loop build and my second computer build ever - I will finish it!

Thanks for your responses LeDoyen and Greg (sorry, I didn't quote you guys correctly in my last post!)

Hi again. The new dx5 arrived today but I can't get the pump to work.

I had one sata connected to the PSU, to show the lighting. And one molex, which was just connected to the pump. The pmw control for the pump was not connected. I had the outlet connected to the gpu and then top rad, CPU, front rad and then down to the top of the reservoir, as you can see in the photo. I filled up the reservoir to about 2 cm from the top and I turned it on. I also tiled the case and tried to shake it a bit because I know the first time is more difficult for the pump. It's like I can't get any reaction from it at all. Now I am quite stuck...

IMG_20200706_234140.thumb.jpg.12f8102355f9d3e650a9df6a1aeaf28d.jpg

• Corsair Employee

After powering on the PSU, is there absolutely no vibrations or a slight hum from the pump? It should take a few seconds for the pump to ramp up.

Do let me know if there are signs that the pump motor is running.

BTW, which PSU model are you using? I've seen a few odd examples when users were not able to power up when only the pump was connected to the +12V line.

Any chance to try with a different PSU unit to try to fill the loop?

After powering on the PSU, is there absolutely no vibrations or a slight hum from the pump? It should take a few seconds for the pump to ramp up.

BTW, which PSU model are you using? I've seen a few odd examples when users were not able to power up when only the pump was connected to the +12V line.

Hi Greg,

Thanks. I couldn't get anything from it, no sound or vibration. I have also tried my old EVGA750W and my new (2 months old) Corsair RM750X. Incidentally, the Molex with the RM750X only has the 5v active but I cannot get any voltage reading on the 12v connection on the other side. I still have 2 of my old EVGA Molex cables and they're showing 12v when powered on and it's those that I have been using to test with.

I have also tried with and without SATA going to the commander pro, with LED strips and case fans coming and, again, with the motherboard with the Molexand SATA connections at the same time (bringing the case fans, LED strips and my water block lighting on).

I have asked the website from where I bought it for help and am awaiting reply. This is the second pump and although the first was diagnosed with 'non-functional pump' on testing at their workshop, what are the odds of two pumps being fault...much lower than human error on my part I am sure! Hopefully they respond today or tomorrow and I will update this post.

Thanks,

Matt

• Corsair Employee

If you used a molex cable that is checked that it delivers 12V and ground to these pins, then we can rule out the power delivery issue. The reason I'm so picky with this is that a lot of no power occasions were caused by finicky adapters or custom PSU cables. And also, as you mentioned by yourself, it's really not common for the pump motors to come DOA.

For the pump motor to spin, only this molex cable is required.

fFOoCx7.png

Do update us on how it goes.

If you used a molex cable that is checked that it delivers 12V and ground to these pins, then we can rule out the power delivery issue. The reason I'm so picky with this is that a lot of no power occasions were caused by finicky adapters or custom PSU cables. And also, as you mentioned by yourself, it's really not common for the pump motors to come DOA.

For the pump motor to spin, only this molex cable is required.

fFOoCx7.png

Do update us on how it goes.

Hi Greg,

Yes that's right, there is ~12v coming through the molex connection. I have uploaded 6 photographs and you can see the reading there.

Note I have rearranged the radiators and tubing, to clean up the build a bit.

I have also bought an XD3. The smaller form factor fits better in the case (the Zotac GPU is too close to the front radiator to fit a reservoir next to it). I bought this before the second XD5 had been tested because I sort of got desperate, having been without a PC for a few weeks and it would be a bit of a pain to hook the original heat sink and fans to the GPU etc...)

Unfortunately I cannot get this (third) pump to turn on.

The voltage to the pump I think is fine, per my photographs but please tell me if you think otherwise.

The tube connections I think are fine: for the avoidance of doubt and looking at the face of the reservoir, the ports are connected as follows -

- left side is plugged

- right side is the drain

- bottom is the temp sensor

- front left is the outlet (to front rad -> top rad -> CPU -> GPU -> pump inlet)

- front right is pump inlet

There are no obstructions in the tubing, I can blow through the tube which would go into the pump outlet and the air comes out of the tube going to the inlet (if that is a valid test?!)

I have put EK's Cryofuel Premix (Clear) in the reservoir and filled to about 1-0.5 cm from the top.

Nothing is connected to the PSU apart from the molex. The PMW cable isn't plugged into anything and neither are the temp sensor or RGB...

Thanks

2.thumb.jpg.d1f30a9287d8bd8bbad599c24ed00d29.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.997903b71575f8676a60b4116832b5b0.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.1b320753681096f8fefbf151b3eee86f.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.6db15940df766fd96c4ad90f8e50e47c.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.30e77ba99eb82e6f16135730c3b212de.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.bdb9a663f8fcd08c5134de1283a85ab5.jpg

Taking a look at your flow, I think the problem might not be the pump failing to turn on but rather the difficulty of initially pumping liquid uphill through your front radiator. With the small reservoir capacity within the XD3 and/or gravity itself, I think you'd be hard pressed to feed your loop.

Have you tried reversing the direction of the flow for your loop (swap the front tubes on your XD3)?

By that I mean:

• XD3 pump outlet ►► GPU, and
  • front rad ►► XD3 pump inlet.

Sorry to hear about all your problems, I hate it when my new hardware refuses to work...I always think that I have f'd up somehow :|

Have you tried the original cables that came with your PSU? I Could be wrong but they look custom. I remember having a similar issue myself when I first put my Hydro X custom cooling loop together 10months ago or so, I unplugged everything, used the PSU Bridge and got no activity in my XD5. I was using CableMod cables for my AX1600i PSU, then when I tried the cables that came with the PSU (24pin and Molex) it worked fine and started pumping liquid in to my loop.

I also see you went for the XD3, as I was reading this thread I was going to suggest trying that with your GPU not leaving much room :D

Taking a look at your flow, I think the problem might not be the pump failing to turn on but rather the difficulty of initially pumping liquid uphill through your front radiator. With the small reservoir capacity within the XD3 and/or gravity itself, I think you'd be hard pressed to feed your loop.

Have you tried reversing the direction of the flow for your loop (swap the front tubes on your XD3)?

By that I mean:

• XD3 pump outlet ►► GPU, and
  • front rad ►► XD3 pump inlet.

Thanks Blaise. I did try it the other way round on the first XD5 I bought (outlet into the GPU) but it didn't work.

I have just re-arranged the loop so the journey out of the pump isn't so difficult (please see attached) - I took the extra step of putting the XD3 higher in the case too. Still nothing, no sound or vibration at all.

Sorry to hear about all your problems, I hate it when my new hardware refuses to work...I always think that I have f'd up somehow :|

Have you tried the original cables that came with your PSU? I Could be wrong but they look custom. I remember having a similar issue myself when I first put my Hydro X custom cooling loop together 10months ago or so, I unplugged everything, used the PSU Bridge and got no activity in my XD5. I was using CableMod cables for my AX1600i PSU, then when I tried the cables that came with the PSU (24pin and Molex) it worked fine and started pumping liquid in to my loop.

I also see you went for the XD3, as I was reading this thread I was going to suggest trying that with your GPU not leaving much room :D

Hi Terminal. I have an EVGA 750 GQ 80 Gold Plus semi-modular and a Corsair RM750X fully modular. Each one has its original cables. I have tried each. There is definitely power through the Molex on each, I get 12v on the left/left-middle pins which go into the pump connector.

The XD3 fits much better thanks. The XD5 ended up supporting the end of the (quite long) Zotac GPU and partially covering the fill port. Shame though, would have liked to have mounted it on the front radiator somewhere...

1.thumb.jpg.50d4510c81bde9840d43cf2ee280d8fc.jpg

So both of the XD5s have been diagnosed as 'non-functional' on testing. I asked for further information particularly about the 2nd pump which has just been tested. The adviser said that the RMA had been recorded only as 'non-functional pump'.

Prior to these two Corsair pumps I had bought another from a pretty well-known Chinese manufacturer (who also made my GPU water block), which did not work either. They have received and tested that pump now and today sent me a video showing the pump spinning. I am assuming they are really testing the pump I returned and not another, pump, of course.

I cannot work it out. My PSU is functional, my Molex cable is too and it delivers 12v/ground on the 2 pins which connect with the two pins on the pump's molex port. That's all I should need to get at least vibration and sound from the pump, right? No other connections e.g. PMW cable to fan header and power to the motherboard etc... It is hard to reconcile (a) that my electrics seem to be working, (b) the Chinese pump didn't work but it worked when it was tested by their company, © the two returned Corsair XD5s which didn't work were tested and diagnosed as non-functional by Scan.co.uk and (d) I have now had 4 non-working pumps (incluidng the most recent XD3 which is still in my system). Factors (b) and (d) suggest it is me/my system, © militates against that and (a) is tenuous because I am not an electrician...

I am speaking with someone from Corsair's tech team at the moment, have exchanged a few messages over the last few days and hopefully narrowing down the cause. Will update when I know more. Sorry about all the posts, I hope something useful comes out of this!

At this point i'm totally lost too ^^' I can't imagine the PSU sending such spikes of electricity at powerup t hat it could kill the pump's electronics.. that's all i have left in mind to have 3 pumps die on you.. but the computer would be toast too at this point.

Really a strange one.

• 3 weeks later...
At this point i'm totally lost too ^^' I can't imagine the PSU sending such spikes of electricity at powerup t hat it could kill the pump's electronics.. that's all i have left in mind to have 3 pumps die on you.. but the computer would be toast too at this point.

Really a strange one.

I really hope you get it sorted soon! Shame you don't know anyone close by that can help you test stuff. I know if I was in your position I would be on the phone to a friend and test things on his system :s

Hi all,

I have my custom loop working now.

I had tried 2x XD5s and 2x XD3s but as per my previous posts I couldn't get any response from the D5/DCC pumps at all.

I bought an EK Quantum FLT D5 and it fired up straight away. I have no idea why the others wouldn't work. A bit frustrating that my pump rgb is on different software to the corsair products (for which I use iCue).

Will really bug me that I won't know what prevented the other pumps from working too. I just have to return this last XD3 pump, which I feel bad about but if I can't get it to work...

Thanks for the help guys

Comp.thumb.jpg.1ea545a8c41715204ff98cd8c5f8c99f.jpg

Ah well.. you don't change colors everyday after all. At least it cools now. It's really weird that the Corsairs didn't work because they are supposed to be all Xylem pumps.

Unless Corsair had a BIG manufacturing issue where 12V and ground wires were mixed up, but that sounds very unlikely.

Ah well, that tily FLT looks mighty cute in the end :) and... you now have 1500L/min to start with instead of 800. A good trade off for the loss of iCUE control ove the reservoir RGB.