Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2019, 04:26 PM
Cairnexus's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1028732
Cairnexus Reputation: 10
Default 2x vs 4x kit confusion

So I was looking to expand my memory from 32 GB to 64 GB from my pre-existing setup and cannot find out if its more beneficial for me to return my current kit and get a "64 kit" ro just buy another 32 GB kit. I tried to search for spec differences and couldn't' find anything other then the model number is different, the timings appear to be the same. Was wondering if someone with some experience could just chime in and set me straight here, thanks!

Current setup: CMT32GX4M2C3200C16 (2x 16 GB Sticks)

vs

Should I get? CMT64GX4M4C3200C16 (4x 16 GB Sticks)

P.S I know this amount of memory is overkill but I might be doing some extreme video editing in the future and I need more RGB lol

Old 12-26-2019, 05:34 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1028739
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 116

If you have a legitimate return option on the 2x16, you return that and get the 4x16 matched set. It is possible to run two of the same exact kits, but it often requires some manually tweaking and it can be used as a sword against you in any kind of technical/warranty issue. Your motherboard is throwing up errors and support sees a mixed kit and declares that the problem - end of discussion. The difference (assuming none in specifications) is from the unique batch of semiconductor material they are cut from. I generally feel the larger the amount of memory in play (module size) the more this becomes critical, but I do not have any specific x570 experiences and there is a platform/chipset aspect to success.

Obviously there is a financial aspect to two “2x16” vs a single 4x16 matched and RAM prices are often idiosyncratic. No getting around a serious price difference, but I would not go double 2x16 to save $20. That would likely be lost the first time you freeze on boot and scramble the OS.