Corsair Community

TWINX1024-3200LL and -3200XL compatible?

tswca

Hi, I currently have a set of TWINX1024-3200LL running without any problems in my system (Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard (i875 chipset), P4-2.8C, not o/c'ed). I've been thinking about upgrading to 2GB memory for a while and would like to take advantage of the current Corsair promotion. However, that rebate applies only to -3200XL memory, not the -3200LL; the -3200LL memory is also about $50 more expensive with worse latency (2-3-2-6 vs. 2-2-2-5). So my question is: Can I run a pair of TWINX1024-3200XL memory modules on the second channel together with the existing pair of TWINX1024-3200LL modules on the first channel? Or would there be compatibility problems between the two slightly different memory types on different channels? Specifically, would it prevent the chipset from running in dual-channel mode? I'm assuming the XL memory would have to run at 2-3-2-6 latency. Any thoughts? Regards, Thomas

• Corsair Employee
With this MB if the modules are not exactly matched it may not post if you mix memory! So I would have to say no! You might see if you can find another use for the modules you have and just get Twinx2048-3200 if you need 2.0 Gig of memory. If you try and run 4 modules you may have to relax the timings because of chipset loading!

Archived