Corsair Community

AX1200i Buzz

aTs

Hi,

I've RMA'ed already the unit and my RMA request has already been Approved, but I really want to ask why my unit is performing like this out of the box (except maybe the luck part); moreover this happens to me, that I have a similar hardware configuration and issues with this case (forum link: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=604463). I have associated the Corsair brand name with top quality products... and although I am very happy with the efficiency and performance... (tbh they are amazing) the low-volume, but loud enough to hear it while sitting in my chair, insanely irritating buzzing noise that comes from the PSU is not something that makes me satisfied... and we are talking about a brand new and expensive product here.

Also you have said in some threads that some units would not be silent (not fan noise, but buzzing noise), shouldn't this be on the packaging for customer info and such?

Thanks in advance...

(I'd like RAMGuy's reply mainly on this, if he's kind enough)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

I've RMA'ed already the unit and my RMA request has already been Approved, but I really want to ask why my unit is performing like this out of the box (except maybe the luck part); moreover this happens to me, that I have a similar hardware configuration and issues with this case (forum link: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=604463). I have associated the Corsair brand name with top quality products... and although I am very happy with the efficiency and performance... (tbh they are amazing) the low-volume, but loud enough to hear it while sitting in my chair, insanely irritating buzzing noise that comes from the PSU is not something that makes me satisfied... and we are talking about a brand new and expensive product here.

Also you have said in some threads that some units would not be silent (not fan noise, but buzzing noise), shouldn't this be on the packaging for customer info and such?

Thanks in advance...

(I'd like RAMGuy's reply mainly on this, if he's kind enough)

I had a Corsair TX850 and upgraded to the AX1200i. All of the sudden I had a buzzing noise. I had a cheap surge protector.

A 1200W UPS unit is too expensive so I looked around and found that this might help.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=P11VNT3

I bit the bullet as the noise was rather annoying and was ruining the experience of using my PC. It worked! I'm not saying that it will work for everyone but having a line conditioner seemed to do the trick.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I did and also your reply is a bit off topic...; I also searched among all topics in the forum for related posts, but found nothing that I haven't already done. The setup is the same that I used with my previous PSU unit, which in fact was a dated one to be more specific I bought it back in ~2006, and was a Tagan Piperock 1300W semi-modular. This PSU didn't have a noise or any other annoying sounds, it worked as it should, I bought Corsair AX1200i as a worthy replacement for it and from day 1 it had that noise. Truth to be told at first I thought if was the transformer of my APC Smart X UPS which does make a similar sound (although not that high pitched and loud) but I removed it and isolated the sound.

@bee144 I have a Server Grade UPS, APC Smart X UPS 1500 (1200 Watts of Peak Power) which also happens to output a pure sine wave signal (which is almost impossible to find in a consumer grade UPS). So, in contrast to your case...unfortunately I really doubt that is the root of my problems.

Hi,

RamGuy, RMA Request was not the intention of this post, but to answer me to specific questions I stated in the first post... where I said that I already applied for RMA and got one.

If you are kind enough, please respond when you can.

Thanks.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply! No, not at all! I've not even sent the original unit yet... I have to find a spare PSU to work with in the meantime... otherwise I can't sent it due to the fact that's my main workstation and I can't afford any lengthy downtime. What I am saying is that I've seen a lot of posts with AX1200i buzz, is there a pattern, that's what I am saying.

Also having read all buzz related topics in the forums you stated in some posts that these power supplies won't be really silent even with their fan turned off, as a small buzz/click is going to be heard when you are close to the unit, I didn't see that information on the packaging though... isn't this a bit misleading?

Let me know your input on this,

Thanks.

PS here is a video of the buzz, my fans are on max... and you can clearly hear the annoying buzz if you ramp up the volume (my iPhone mic isn't exactly stellar!). Link:

(the video was taken around 50~60 cm away from the case)

There is a sequel to this... the noise got WAY worse... and WAY louder... it's also constant and as of today.... doesn't fluctuate... I can barely stand the operation of my computer, here is a link with the video but now even with my crappy iPhone mic it can be heard even if you don't turn your speakers up. The best part is that the PSU isn't even a month old...

As a side note, the PSU stops that buzzing noise when it is on the UPS battery and starts it back again when it's on the main power (with or without the UPS)... I am really at a loss here... I've thrown another power supply in the computer and doesn't make a noise at all! (although less powerful)...

Let me add to this... I've thought if the voltage is high/low then it would definitely account for that buzzing (it's usual since I am guessing it's a switching power supply...), but I plugged in the outlet my Fluke Multimeter and showed no fluctuation at all... when on battery it was on 231V~228V and when on main it was on 229V~232V which is well within the spec... so I am leaning more and more that the power supply is at fault here...

• Corsair Employee

I have asked Engineering to look at this and let me know what they think.

But I did not hear anything other than fan noise and yes its loud but it will not be quiet with a 1200 Watt PSU with more then 50% load on the unit.

EDIT: Are you using an APC or battery Backup? If you are please try it with out the device and just plugged into the wall with a surge protector.

Hi,

I am sorry but these questions have already been answered in my previous posts, the UPS that I am using for my tower is this:

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SMX1500RM2UNC

Which should be more than enough. I've removed the PSU and only used the self-test function in order to record the buzz noise only, in the first segment I've also blocked with a pen the PSU fan blades in order to prevent it from spinning (hence eliminating any noise that the fan makes).

The noise when no cables are attached to the unit (with or w/o PSU) is considerably less but still very annoying. When the PSU is attached to it's power cables the noise gets quite louder...

here is the updated video:

(iPhone was around 40 cm from the unit when I captured the video)

Finally RamGuy, when I bought this PSU the packaging said:

* Digitally Controlled Power

* Quiet, Efficient Operation

* Fully Modular

When I read on the packaging Quiet...I expect the unit to be quiet (or else present product information on the packaging is quite misleading)...I am not really picky with silence since I ramp up my fans quite a bit... but this buzzing noise is on a different scale and in a frequency that's not even remotely tolerable. What I also don't understand is how this is the only PSU that I have that makes a buzzing of this level, the wattage excuse is not valid... since my now ancient 1300 W PSU made considerably less buzzing (non-existent, virtually!) from this newer, superior product.

Let me know your input.

• Corsair Employee

Did you try it with out the APC and did you still hear the noise was the main point of my question? If the answer is yes then please submit an RMA request and let me know the case number as I would like to test the unit here.

And yes everything I see on the APC spec says it should not be the issue but please lets test it.

Hey,

I think that I already answered that (in many posts, but take it from the previous one):

The noise when no cables are attached to the unit (with or w/o PSU) is considerably less but still very annoying. When the PSU is attached to it's power cables the noise gets quite louder...

Of course, when I tried it without the PSU I used a surge protected Schuko (the particular APC product was http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=220)

Still the same... no improvement whatsoever... when on mains

Thanks.

• Corsair Employee

Please use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can try and replace the unit, just post the case number as I would like to see this PSU...

But if you have the same issue with the replacement then it has to be some issue with the MB and or APC...

Hey,

Well I doubt that's the motherboard, due to the fact that in the last video I tested it without the motherboard, where you can clearly see that no cables are attached. I also tried it without the UPS... also when I tried it with the UPS I said in a previous post that I've also swapped 4 different power supplies to check if the UPS was at fault, the only one that made that noise in that annoying high level was your power supply; heck I even tried it in an another room (that had a different circuit)... and got the same buzzing noise.

I am at loss here...

Hi,

It was actually an email; but got this sorted out with your customer support. Will post when the unit is received and tested. If you want for comparison I can upload video and data using an RMS ATX power supply loader... (I've got some lying around in my university's office) as well as videos of the other 4 power supplies that I tested, namely these are the following:

* Enermax Pro 82+ 625W (EPR625AWT)

* Tagan 1300W Piperock Series 1300W

* FSP-GROUP 400W (FSP350-60THN-P)

* Thermaltake ToughPower 1500W (although I borrowed this PSU, I no longer have it)

No noticeable buzz was heard, with/without UPS; and on/off UPS battery. I can't take any more measurements using your PSU as I've packaged it for sending it back; I'll get back to you when I receive the replacement unit.

Hey,

The RMA number that was assigned to my case is the following: #5215187. Also could you please let me know what happened (or what was wrong with the unit) if you are allowed to do so... as I am quite curious as well.

Thanks in advance...

Hi RAMGuy,

I am probably the unluckiest person in the world! The replacement unit arrived today... after much anticipation, well the good news is that the unit is dead silent when it comes to buzzing... but this unit does a sound of a "murmur" which is again quite loud and has nothing to do with the kind of noise the previous one did... needless to say is VERY annoying...

This sound is not affected if I turn the UPS battery on/off so I am guessing they are completely different problems. The setup is the same as before and the PSU I had never showed any such noises (buzzing or murmur's).

The replacement PSU I temporarily had was the Enermax Pro 82+ 625W (EPR625AWT). I've uploaded a YouTube video again showing this sound... could you please tell me what to do next? That sound is periodic in nature (at least that's what I think!) and it's quite distinct from the fan noise, so I don't think you will have a hard time noticing it.

The video showing the murmur:

Let me know what you think,

Thanks again!

PS: I've spend 5 hours today trying to figure out if there is a solution to this murmur... changed cables (tried all the cables inside the pouch), changed wall outlet, changed room, UPS battery on/off, with/without UPS, change power settings... nothing. Although the one thing I could find is that during load the period of the murmur sound gets much smaller...but the pitch remains the same... as far as my ears can tell of course.

PS2: The sound has nothing to do with the PSU fan at all... most of the time (and during video recording) is turned off, not spinning at all.

Archived