Corsair Community

New H80i V2 in a very limited space case

GuruSR

The system specs show what I have for the machine, the H80i V2 is in the front bottom 120mm spot as it actually offers proper screw mounting for a 120mm rad there only (not the top unless you remove the optical drive bay and that in itself causes more grief with where to put the hoses). If I have to pull the machine back apart, I'll take a photo of it so everyone can gasp at it.

Onto the not so fun news, before getting this cooler, I wasn't "happy" with the air coolers I was using (tried a few) and was seeing "mediocre" temps at torture (AVX for 1 hour, anything less and you're really fooling yourself, sustained heat tests are necessary to ensure that the chip won't fail later on). Anyhow, sometime later (2 years and 5 months in), the PC froze mid-game play (on a game where there is more GPU use than CPU usage and no core was really being taxed by it), which was odd. So, talked to ASUS and Intel about the issue in chats, ASUS RMA'ed the board and Intel had the SWR on ready in the event that the motherboard replacement didn't solve the issue. When the new board arrived, I re-used my original cooler with it, but now that the motherboard was allowing it to properly turbo, the cores spiked past 60 to 62/63, during Intel's diagnostics, as soon as that happend the SWR for the chip went through. The 6700K's max temp is not 100c, it's 64c because the Tcase can't survive past 64c without causing internal damage, why Intel did the SWR for the chip. So, I decided to go liquid to see if I can get a better temp on the CPU when the new one arrives, which it did on the Friday just after New Year's Day. I had the whole system back inside on the Sunday afterwards (because it was a logistic nightmare to do it, the 1050Ti hits the fan on the H80i while trying to get it into the case).

Sunday fired the system up, installed the software, it defaulted to Performance and wow, the jet is taxiing to take off. With the two fans on it acting as an intake on the bottom of the case front, the 1050Ti blocks the output of the fans to the lower half of the case (basically making the heat get sucked out through it's fans and out the back, though it doesn't seem affected by the temps so far only sitting at 29C like the rest). After looking at the temp for the pump, it was listing very little in the way of range (25.5-31.8). So I aimed the fan for the unit to max out at 100% when it gets to 31C for pump temp, because nowhere in the documentation does it state what is the max temperature for the fluid or the pump, very important information indeed, as if I am to believe that the fluid can't go more than ~5C over ambient temperature then it's going to be a noisy gaming time for this setup (more-so than the air cooler).

Currently to keep the CPU away from the Tcase value of 64C, I'm limiting the multiplier to 36 (not 40) and the Turbo is off (normally 42x, the old motherboard wouldn't allow turbo to work anyways). Temps hit 50 max currently, but if I don't limit it and it hits 40x, those temps jump up ~8C and that is just too close for comfort, I want this CPU to last, plus those minor loses in MHz are not even that annoying for performance, maybe 3 seconds longer to convert a 47minute TV show down so I can watch it again on my tablet later.

I've seen "Internet 'Chatter'" about keeping the pump temp under 60C, but that in itself sounds insane. Looking at the unit right now, the temp is sitting at roughly middle at 28.7C where the core temps bounce from 22 to 28.

So my biggest question is, what temperature should I be aiming to stay under for the pump temperature, within the range listed or is that just a range that it's seen so far? And if not, what is the safest tolerated temperature it can get to for a sustained period?

(For those wanting to see my case, if I have to open it again, I'll be sure to take a photo of it. Just so you can see what it looks like inside, it's fairly neat and organized looking.)

GuruSR.

60C is really the absolute max safe temperature for the cooler. That said, more realistic is to keep it under 40C or so (depending on your environment, of course!). The default profiles will kick up at 40C.

Take a look at the Cooler FAQ. There's some really detailed guidance in there about custom fan curves that I stole from one of c-attack's posts. That'll give you a good idea of how you'll want to configure your curve.

60C is really the absolute max safe temperature for the cooler. That said, more realistic is to keep it under 40C or so (depending on your environment, of course!). The default profiles will kick up at 40C.

Take a look at the Cooler FAQ. There's some really detailed guidance in there about custom fan curves that I stole from one of c-attack's posts. That'll give you a good idea of how you'll want to configure your curve.

Ah, alright, though the Cooler FAQ should realistically be listed somewhere in the manual (that is "most people" *should* read it) for the cooler so that web surfing isn't necessary right away (because first time users of a specific product will have that important question), just because "Quiet" is so, doesn't mean it's beneficial in the environment that they have. I just was not going to rely on the "Web" for realistic answers outside of Corsair, plus the temp range gauges I have for the system and graphics card both give me ranges that are static, but the Link software must list what the pump has seen, which is where the confusion could come into play. I was not about to take any chances, as of now, it's still hovering around 29C with the fans over 2200RPM but the pump is on quiet. Now that I have a slightly larger target for temperature, getting it to hover below or at 40 max would be the best, as I know the hotter that gets, the less effective it is at cooling the CPU down and the higher the temps on the CPU will get (and I don't need another SWR for Intel). Most definitely a trial and error, I know the base temp is ~25C for the idle, as I have RealTemp monitoring the system and also monitoring it if it hits 59C and that in itself is a dangerous number which will cause RealTemp to sleep the machine for safety, I've also set 40 as the temp to shut the machine down if the pump hits that number, so I can see how harsh things will get before I could possibly cause issues.

GuruSR.

Uh ... you have RealTemp monitoring the cooler?

59C for your CPU is fine, especially under load.

But ... having two applications monitoring the cooler (Link/iCUE and RealTemp) is bad and will cause issues. If it's not monitoring the cooler, don't worry and be a little less aggressive on your CPU temps.

Uh ... you have RealTemp monitoring the cooler?

59C for your CPU is fine, especially under load.

But ... having two applications monitoring the cooler (Link/iCUE and RealTemp) is bad and will cause issues. If it's not monitoring the cooler, don't worry and be a little less aggressive on your CPU temps.

Actually Core Temp is monitoring the cores, not the cooler, the Link software has the pump temp set at 40C to full fans and shutdown if 30 seconds doesn't fix it, so I can't cause any issues while testing. 59C for the CPU is fine, it is 5C away from the Tcase, though I'd rather still avoid it, because one thing I did notice was ~30 mins in with the fans at full, the cores kept creeping past 55 to 58 and then I stopped it at ~30 minutes, meaning the H80i V2 was losing the battle for heat and I can understand it with the limited case space, plus the fact that most of the hose is on the bottom of the case where the exhaust from the rad is passing through. I'm playing with Intel's UTX to see if I can't offset the core voltage down enough to reduce heat enough to regain the 400MHz I dropped it by and still keep the temps from consistently climbing out of control. After 3 hours of "medium game usage" (left a semi-cpu hungry game paused, the environmental effects in it keep going while paused) and 46C was the max core temp and the pump was at 33.4C. Going to keep the pump on Quiet for now, since the slower the fluid passes the rad, the cooler it'll get on each pass. I also greatly dropped the fan curve down, which has drastically quietened the system.

GuruSR.

With the CPU power limited to 61Watts, the max processor multiplier maxed at 36 (not 40 yet), I was able to watch the pump max out to 35.3C (it actually occasionally bounced down to 35.2 and back up, so fairly sure that was where it maxed at and was there for a good 30 minutes).

The image shows the core temp lows and highs. Fan #3 (not sure what that is from) would hit 0RPM here and there. The temp of the 1050Ti is affected by the RAD but not that much, but since it's the OC version it's designed to handle more heat, so no worries in that department, at most it just raised it's normal ambient temperature 10C.

When the warmer weather hits this area, I'll do some more testing in a warmer environment to see if I can push the CPU farther up to it's normal clock speed, though when time permits, will hit the OC forums to see if anyone has any stable under-voltage values for the 6700K so I'm not starting from -0.005. The fans hit 2200RPM (not overly loud like 2700RPM is), though go back down in ~15 minutes to a quieter performance level.

The pump is set to Quiet, the Pump Fans are set to Custom with it aimed at the pump temperature.

The curve is as follows:

24C 25%

30C 35%

33C 55%

35C 71%

37C 87%

38C 100%

Setting this curve would really help if the active temp we're adjusting to was visible on the curve while we are adjusting it, so we could line the curve up with it better.

GuruSR.

1967627984_Statsafter1hr.thumb.PNG.cc441c908ff3cddd2ecab9a633570e80.PNG

If you use iCUE, you can actually type in the temps and the %. It's a bit easier to control. If you look at my iCUE Tips & Tricks, there's something to help you import your fan curves from Link too.

Didn't believe iCUE would work with the H80i V2, since it lists only Link for downloads, though looking at iCUE, it's more aimed at the lighting aspect than just the setup of the pump and fans, since I can easily turn off the autostart of Link after I have it setup properly and use something else to monitor/warn me of the pump having an issue, to reduce "idle" processes in the background.

GuruSR.

Archived