The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 11:35 PM
Baasha's PC Specs

POST ID # = 605336
Baasha Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutz94 View Post
With that CPU i would be a little conservative with the voltage. Go 1.64v to keep it just under max. If it's not going to be stable at that voltage 1.66 isn't going to make a difference.

Asking 2400mhz out of CPU that does 16oomhz officially is really asking alot from your CPU.
But since you are still getting errors at 1333mhz i would try replacing the modules . But if you have the same problem with another set i would look at maybe getting your MB replaced.

Why switch, you can run your current kit at those speeds just as easily. Although you need to figure out where the issue is first.

I can't find any confirmation that you have tested the modules individually yet. Have you? what were the results at both speeds?
I tried running the RAM @ 2400Mhz again after the BIOS update (1.30) but it still crashed with 0x1000007E bugcheck. BF3 crashed three different times to desktop.

I set the RAM to 1600Mhz and put all the other settings (for RAM) on "Auto" and things have been VERY stable! I rendered a 2GB video, played BF3 for several hours straight with the GPUs OC'd to 1300Mhz and it was absolutely smooth!

The reason I want to return/exchange the RAM is that I paid $320 for this 16GB kit that's SUPPOSED to run at 2400Mhz. If I'm going to run it at 1600Mhz or 1866Mhz or whatever, I can get those kits for half the price and still be good. There's no way I'm paying $300+ for a 1600Mhz RAM kit.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Baasha's PC Specs

POST ID # = 605337

Quote:
Originally Posted by HU16E View Post
STOP: 101 with X58 platform was always QPI related, with X79, some say CPU and/or RAM V. related. Sometimes, the actual BIOS setting is not as accurate as we would like. I use a digital multimeter to be sure of the actual voltage being delivered. 1.66v setting in the BIOS may be perfectly safe as it may only being delivering 1.65v or maybe even less. I have seen as much as a 0.014v drop at the DMM checkpoint. On two X79's yesterday, I tested a Corsair 4X8GB 32GB 2133 Dom. Platinum kit. They worked at 2133 with settings of Command Rate 2, 9 11 11 31, tRFC 278 @ 1.65v's. Actual DMM V. reading was 1.645v's. Yes, filling all 8 DIMM's will definately add more stress to the CPU IMC. I am not really sure the CPU IMC of the Sandy-E's are as healthy & strong as the Ivy CPU's are. Of course they only run Dual Channel.

Added: Wanted to also mention that SA V. had to be set to 0.965v's, and the I/O V. set to 1.07v's manually in addition to the RAM setting tweaks. On my X79's, the SA was an accurate setting as checked by DMM. The I/O higher BIOS setting gave me the perfect 1.056v's I was looking for.

2nd add: Yes, no need to exchange your RAM kit if all of them check out ok individually. They can be tried at those other settings of 2133 or 1866 before giving up on them. As mentioned, the RAM may be perfectly fine. Always likely the CPU IMC is not up to the task. Won't rule out the possibility that a new BIOS revision from the mainboard manufacturer may be needed for better compatibilty. Seen that to be the situation a time or two as well.
Thanks for that info but I'm not sure what "SA V" and "I/O V" are. Are those voltages related to the DRAM settings? Where can I set them in the BIOS?

I still haven't run MemTest86+ v4.20. I will do that in the next day or two.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Baasha's PC Specs

POST ID # = 605338

Okay, how do I exactly "completely" remove the old driver for the IntelRST? If I use some program, like Your Uninstaller that removes registry entries etc., would that cause problems? Or should I go into the Control Panel and just remove IntelRST and install this new version?

Also, I had NO idea that Corsair updated the firmware to 5.03! I still have 5.02 on my SSDs. I just saw that thanks to you so I have to update that as well. The problem is that my OS is on the 2 ForceGT SSDs. They are in RAID-0 so how do I use the update tool if I put them in AHCI mode and can't boot into Windows? HELP!

I first set the RAM to 2400Mhz and tested the CPU at stock settings. I got a BSOD in Photoshop with code 0x1000007E. BF3 crashed about three times to the desktop saying "there was an error" so I don't know what caused it.

I set the RAM to 1600Mhz, OC'd my CPU back to 4.5GHz and OC'd my GPUs to 1300Mhz and everything works beautifully! :D I was able to play BF3 for several hours without issue. I played F1 2012 and some other games without issue either.

Should I try 1866Mhz? I will also test the RAM using MemTest v4.20. I would really like to get the 32GB kit either 1866Mhz or 2133Mhz. However, I don't think the CPU IMC will be able to handle that given the rest of the hardware I have on the system.

Thanks again for your help and I will update you (and the others) on how the RAM is checking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbonerfs101e View Post
About Raid driver, some time you have to completly uninstall old driver befor intall new one, as windows often said the the best driver is all ready intall and it not tru as 3.5.0.1101 is the last raid driver version maid by Intel. I have see BSOD wan using Force GT ssd 5.02 firmware wend all my pcie was fill. Din't have any BSOD with
Firmware 5.03

For the INF driver, (I have ASRock on my main rig btw, NOT Asus) how do I update it? Do I have to uninstall the old one? There are MANY "system devices" in the Device Manager that use the INF driver (9.2.3.1016 is what I have now) so do I have to uninstall each one and then install the new one? Or could I just install this over the old version?

And don't forget abouth your quad sli, it could give thos BSOD to

Even INF drive is not up to date on Asus 9.2.3.1020 as Intel offer 9.2.3.1023
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...&DownloadType=

Yes, filling all 8 DIMM's will definately add more stress to the CPU
To get best chance to make it worck keap CPU stock and memory XMP profile
With new bios i hope it resolve XMP profile stetting
After that check if ssd is up to date v.5.03
Then if it still bugy, run with only 1 VGA card to test if it the sli that causing instability.
Please use memtest86 v.4.20, its miss a lot ove information with 4.00

hope this help
Sincerly yours

Old 09-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Baasha's PC Specs

POST ID # = 605339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
retest with the latest memtest and run at 2t. 1t is just too tight especially with so many sticks.
let us know.
Okay I will test it in the next day or two. Right now, it's running at 1600Mhz @ 9-11-11-31 @ 1T. Everything except the RAM speed (1600Mhz) is on "Auto" in the BIOS.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:56 AM
HU16E's PC Specs

POST ID # = 605349
HU16E Reputation: 10

Quote:
Thanks for that info but I'm not sure what "SA V" and "I/O V" are. Are those voltages related to the DRAM settings? Where can I set them in the BIOS?
Those should be in the same BIOS Section with the CPU V. & DRAM V. settings. The Intel datasheet for your CPU goes into excellent detail what those are.

Quote:
0x1000007E
Whenever I get that BSOD error code, STOP:0x1000007E, it has been the CPU V. needing an increase a step or two. If it BSOD's with that one & the CPU was restored to stock, then I would start looking at raising the SA & I/O voltages. Yes, basically, they are tied in with the CPU/RAM relationship equation. Although rare, the BIOS may not be setting a high enough CPU V. by default when the system is stressed. Raising the CPU PLL may help.

As a side note, these Corsair kits, when they were tested, worked at their rated speeds flawlessly on two X79's, CMP32GX3M4X1600C10, CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10, & CMD32GX3M4A2133C9. PSU used is a Corsair AX1200. VGA's used were not set for Tri-SLI though, two GTX680's in SLI. In the next day or so, I have a 4X4GB Platinum 2666 kit arriving. Right after testing them in a Z77/Ivy platform, I will try to see if either CPU IMC 3930k C2, or 3960X C1 can run RAM at 2400. I honestly don't believe the IMC can handle it. With some timing & voltage tweaking, a big 'maybe'.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 605409
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baasha View Post
Okay, how do I exactly "completely" remove the old driver for the IntelRST? If I use some program, like Your Uninstaller that removes registry entries etc., would that cause problems? Or should I go into the Control Panel and just remove IntelRST and install this new version?

Also, I had NO idea that Corsair updated the firmware to 5.03! I still have 5.02 on my SSDs. I just saw that thanks to you so I have to update that as well. The problem is that my OS is on the 2 ForceGT SSDs. They are in RAID-0 so how do I use the update tool if I put them in AHCI mode and can't boot into Windows? HELP!

I first set the RAM to 2400Mhz and tested the CPU at stock settings. I got a BSOD in Photoshop with code 0x1000007E. BF3 crashed about three times to the desktop saying "there was an error" so I don't know what caused it.

I set the RAM to 1600Mhz, OC'd my CPU back to 4.5GHz and OC'd my GPUs to 1300Mhz and everything works beautifully! :D I was able to play BF3 for several hours without issue. I played F1 2012 and some other games without issue either.

Should I try 1866Mhz? I will also test the RAM using MemTest v4.20. I would really like to get the 32GB kit either 1866Mhz or 2133Mhz. However, I don't think the CPU IMC will be able to handle that given the rest of the hardware I have on the system.

Thanks again for your help and I will update you (and the others) on how the RAM is checking out.
To update your RAID-0 SSDs, you have to update them one drive at a time as a secondary drive. Our firmware update doesn't delete the information on the drive so after you update the drive each individually, you can set them back as an array again. However, remember you back up your information anyways as a precaution.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Baasha's PC Specs

POST ID # = 605425

Quote:
Those should be in the same BIOS Section with the CPU V. & DRAM V. settings. The Intel datasheet for your CPU goes into excellent detail what those are.

Whenever I get that BSOD error code, STOP:0x1000007E, it has been the CPU V. needing an increase a step or two. If it BSOD's with that one & the CPU was restored to stock, then I would start looking at raising the SA & I/O voltages. Yes, basically, they are tied in with the CPU/RAM relationship equation. Although rare, the BIOS may not be setting a high enough CPU V. by default when the system is stressed. Raising the CPU PLL may help.

As a side note, these Corsair kits, when they were tested, worked at their rated speeds flawlessly on two X79's, CMP32GX3M4X1600C10, CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10, & CMD32GX3M4A2133C9. PSU used is a Corsair AX1200. VGA's used were not set for Tri-SLI though, two GTX680's in SLI. In the next day or so, I have a 4X4GB Platinum 2666 kit arriving. Right after testing them in a Z77/Ivy platform, I will try to see if either CPU IMC 3930k C2, or 3960X C1 can run RAM at 2400. I honestly don't believe the IMC can handle it. With some timing & voltage tweaking, a big 'maybe'.

I forgot to mention that that BSOD occurred when the CPU was also OC'd to 4.5Ghz.

Perhaps you could help me with fine-tuning my CPU OC. Right now, I have the 3930K C2 and the settings in the BIOS are as follows:

Multiplier: 45
Power Control Limit: 300
Internal PLL Voltage: Disabled
V-Core: 1.360V "Fixed"
VCSSA: 1.110V "Fixed"
VTT: 1.086V
LLC: Level 2
DRAM Channel A/B: Auto (1.65V)
DRAM Channel C/D: Auto (1.65V)

What are the settings I can tweak to make the CPU OC better and the RAM stable? With LLC at Level 2, CPU-Z shows 1.328V at 100% load but the CPU gets to 83C in Prime95 on the hottest core. I'm not sure I can increase V-Core too much more due to heat(?). I originally wanted to get 4.8Ghz since I have the H100 with 2x 3000RPM fans but I'm not sure what settings I need for that.

Perhaps there are settings that I can adjust to get the RAM to be stable at 2400Mhz?

Also, I would really like to get the 2133Mhz 32GB Platinum kit. Do you think I can pull that off with 4-Way SLI and 8x SSDs in RAID-0 (using the LSI controller and the board has 2x PLX chips)?

Please help.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Baasha's PC Specs

POST ID # = 605426

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
To update your RAID-0 SSDs, you have to update them one drive at a time as a secondary drive. Our firmware update doesn't delete the information on the drive so after you update the drive each individually, you can set them back as an array again. However, remember you back up your information anyways as a precaution.
Okay but how do I run the Firmware Update utility if I can't boot into Windows? Is there a Command Prompt method or do I use Parted Magic etc.?

Old 10-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 605431

NO you will have to install/Clone Windows on another HDD and boot the system.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:51 PM
HU16E's PC Specs

POST ID # = 605473

Quote:
Perhaps you could help me with fine-tuning my CPU OC. Right now, I have the 3930K C2 and the settings in the BIOS are as follows:

Multiplier: 45
Power Control Limit: 300
Internal PLL Voltage: Disabled
V-Core: 1.360V "Fixed"
VCSSA: 1.110V "Fixed"
VTT: 1.086V
LLC: Level 2
DRAM Channel A/B: Auto (1.65V)
DRAM Channel C/D: Auto (1.65V)

What are the settings I can tweak to make the CPU OC better and the RAM stable? With LLC at Level 2, CPU-Z shows 1.328V at 100% load but the CPU gets to 83C in Prime95 on the hottest core. I'm not sure I can increase V-Core too much more due to heat(?). I originally wanted to get 4.8Ghz since I have the H100 with 2x 3000RPM fans but I'm not sure what settings I need for that.

Perhaps there are settings that I can adjust to get the RAM to be stable at 2400Mhz?

Also, I would really like to get the 2133Mhz 32GB Platinum kit. Do you think I can pull that off with 4-Way SLI and 8x SSDs in RAID-0 (using the LSI controller and the board has 2x PLX chips)?
I would like nothing more than to be able to assist you with this. However, my two X79's are MSI X79A-GD65(8D) and Big Bang XPower II. With the variations involved, my settings that I give are only suggestions and recommendations. They may not be relevant to your unique system. It would be best to probably open a thread in your mainboard's manufacturers forum to inquire about CPU OC'ing.

All I can verify is that Platinum 32GB 2133 kit works on both my MSI X79's at their rated speeds, voltages, and timings.

Added: Tested the 2666 4X4GB 16GB Platinum Kit in the Big Bang XPower II set to 2400 (the mainboards highest available setting). Settings for 100% stability were as Corsair recommended, 11 13 13 35, tRFC 214, Command Rate set to 2, with the DRAM V. set to 1.635v's rather than 1.65v's since not running at full rated speed. What I learned from this may or may not be of help to you. Primary thoughts are that your particular CPU IMC exemplar is not as strong as the one I am testing with, some setting is not quite optimized, the mainboard manufacturer may need to develop a BIOS for better memory compatibility. Another option would be to have that memory kit tested in another system known to run RAM at 2400 or better.

For CPU OC, I recommend the following voltages verified by using a DMM, VCSSA of 0.965v's, VTT of 1.056v's, Internal PLL 'Enabled', PLL V. 1.82-1.84, & if you have it, disable 'EuP 2013', 'Overspeed Protection', & 'Spread Spectrum'. Make sure your power limits & duration are set correctly. Not knowing your mainboard, you may or may not have some of these things I just mentioned, or they are named different. That is why I recommend you contact people in the mainboard's forum to help in that area.

Last edited by HU16E; 10-02-2012 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Old 10-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Baasha's PC Specs

POST ID # = 605654

Quote:
I would like nothing more than to be able to assist you with this. However, my two X79's are MSI X79A-GD65(8D) and Big Bang XPower II. With the variations involved, my settings that I give are only suggestions and recommendations. They may not be relevant to your unique system. It would be best to probably open a thread in your mainboard's manufacturers forum to inquire about CPU OC'ing.

All I can verify is that Platinum 32GB 2133 kit works on both my MSI X79's at their rated speeds, voltages, and timings.

Added: Tested the 2666 4X4GB 16GB Platinum Kit in the Big Bang XPower II set to 2400 (the mainboards highest available setting). Settings for 100% stability were as Corsair recommended, 11 13 13 35, tRFC 214, Command Rate set to 2, with the DRAM V. set to 1.635v's rather than 1.65v's since not running at full rated speed. What I learned from this may or may not be of help to you. Primary thoughts are that your particular CPU IMC exemplar is not as strong as the one I am testing with, some setting is not quite optimized, the mainboard manufacturer may need to develop a BIOS for better memory compatibility. Another option would be to have that memory kit tested in another system known to run RAM at 2400 or better.

For CPU OC, I recommend the following voltages verified by using a DMM, VCSSA of 0.965v's, VTT of 1.056v's, Internal PLL 'Enabled', PLL V. 1.82-1.84, & if you have it, disable 'EuP 2013', 'Overspeed Protection', & 'Spread Spectrum'. Make sure your power limits & duration are set correctly. Not knowing your mainboard, you may or may not have some of these things I just mentioned, or they are named different. That is why I recommend you contact people in the mainboard's forum to help in that area.
Okay so I have a couple of questions since I'm not entirely sure of your suggestions.

My VCSSA voltage is 1.110V, much higher than the 0.965V you recommended. I'm not sure my CPU OC would work with such a "low" VCSSA voltage(?). In fact, at default CPU speeds (3.20GHz), the VCSSA voltage was 1.10V; I increased it by two notches (+) to 1.110V. The CPU VTT voltage was 1.048V at default. I increased it by four notches (+) to 1.086V. Wouldn't my CPU OC become unstable if I reduce this to 1.056V?

As far as the RAM settings go, how do I find out what the Corsair recommended specs are for the 2400Mhz CAS9 kit? I see that the timings are 9-11-11-31 even set on "Auto" but the tRFC setting is 193. I don't even know what that is so what should I set it to to optimize the RAM? Right now, I increased the CPU PLL voltage to 1.823V from 1.811V ("Auto" setting) just by one notch (+). I also enabled Internal PLL Overvoltage in the BIOS and set the RAM to 2400Mhz. I left all the DRAM settings/timings on "Auto". Should I set it manually to 9-11-11-31 and Command Rate 2T? What about the tRFC setting?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:25 AM
HU16E's PC Specs

POST ID # = 605701

As mentioned, every system & CPU is going to be a little bit different. I can run up to 47X (4.7) with the SA, I/O, & PLL voltages I gave you & the RAM set at 2133.

To find tRFC, all I do is look in my BIOS's Memory-Z sub menu. It gives all the settings I need under the X.M.P. profile readout. You can always leave tRFC on 'Auto'. Command Rate & the first four are the most important.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Baasha's PC Specs

POST ID # = 607838

Quote:
As mentioned, every system & CPU is going to be a little bit different. I can run up to 47X (4.7) with the SA, I/O, & PLL voltages I gave you & the RAM set at 2133.

To find tRFC, all I do is look in my BIOS's Memory-Z sub menu. It gives all the settings I need under the X.M.P. profile readout. You can always leave tRFC on 'Auto'. Command Rate & the first four are the most important.
I don't have a "Memory Z-Sub Menu" or not sure what that is. Under "DRAM Configuration", I see the tRFC setting and it is set to "Auto". There is no reading in the BIOS that tells me "suggested" value or something like that.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Baasha's PC Specs

POST ID # = 607843

So a quick update on my issue.

The 2400Mhz did NOT work at its rated speed - the system was more or less unstable. The system would fail to boot about 5 out of 10 times.

The RAM worked fine at 2133Mhz after I increased the CPU PLL voltage from 1.811V to 1.823V (one notch).

I returned the 2400Mhz CAS9 kit and got the 2133Mhz CAS9 (32GB) kit instead.

Just installed it yesterday and there are some serious issues.

The computer just fails to POST - I can't even get to BIOS. After about 5 restarts, it boots fine and I was able to play BF3 for several hours without issue. Max Payne 3 crashed on me twice but I think that may be GPU driver related instead of memory.

So, when the computer boots, it seems to work fine with the 32GB 2133Mhz CAS9 kit (Dominator Platinum). The really annoying thing is that it fails to boot most of the time! The first time I turn it on, it gets to "Starting Windows" and then the monitor just goes to sleep. I had to power cycle it (hard shutdown) and it did the same thing. I hit "Reset" twice and it still didn't POST/boot. I did a 3rd or 4th time and it booted and everything was okay - some really strange behavior here.

I think there is some setting in the BIOS that needs to be adjusted to get it to POST/boot properly.

The voltage for the RAM is set to 1.65V, RAM speed to 2133Mhz and all the sub-settings (timings) are on "Auto". CPU-Z shows 1067Mhz @ 9-11-11-31 2T. The sticker on the RAM itself shows timings of 9-9-9-24 @ 1.65V.

So, I'm not sure why it's slower than its rated timings. I tried setting it to the 9-9-9-24 but the computer didn't even POST/boot.

Do I need to increase CPU PLL again (by one more notch)? What are some other settings that should be adjusted?

Please help!

Old 10-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 607852

Please post a screen shot from the memory and CPU Tab in CPU-Z

Tags
corsair, dominator, platinum, problems