Corsair Community

HX650 power problem?

Forest01

I have a HX650w power supply which I received last December. Along with a GTS450 graphics card which was installed with it, a week later my computer started to have issues running, with popping noises coming from inside of it, and heavy graphic and sound lag (processor running at 100%). I expected this to be issues with the Graphics card idling at 70C with dual-screen hook up. The issue would start maybe 20-30 minutes with 2 screens, and maybe an hour with 1. (It would work right after a restart though) After removing the graphics card I thought all would work well, but then after a few minutes of the pc running it shut off suddenly, turning it back on there was no video at all, I had to unplug the pc let it sit, and try again later. It did it again, the third attempt there was a buzzing noise from the psu I believe but the pc ran this time. The graphics and sound lag persisted still without the card. I hooked the old psu the pc worked just the Motherboard and hard drive, which has so far not caused any graphic or sound issues.

Could this be just problems with Windows 7 acting up? Or the power supply causing issues with computer?

Also the pc only requires 400w with the graphics card in, so there is more power from the PSU available. The computer is NOT custom made just to give a little heads up. And I do not have a 400w psu to test everything out with. Any help would be gladly appreciated.

• Corsair Employee

Its going to be hard to know for sure if its the PSU unless you can test it in a different system and try to duplicate the same issues. It is certainly possible that these issues could be caused by the PSU and we have the option to replace it for you, but first I would see if you can test it in a different system.

Request an RMA

I can see if I can, most of my other computers are years older than this one (2001 and 2005 are the closest dated), and require only 20pins instead of 24. Also, if the psu might be struggling or not as good power output would it be possible for it to end up damaging the computer?

Just wanting to check for sure, I'm just cautious and don't want to fry a pc trying to test it out. Thank you.

• Corsair Employee
Its definitely possible for a faulty PSU to damage hardware, but its unlikely. There are sensors built into both the motherboard and PSU which would tell the PSU to shut down if something were drastically out of spec.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, and sorry for a late reply, it took me a while to remove the psu due to the case size of my pc.

I've been running my pc with its old 300w psu for a while now and I haven't noticed any problems so far that I had before. I hooked the HX650w up to my old pc and so far I haven't really came across the same graphic and sound problem I had on my other pc either.

Old pc specs are: 60gb hard drive, 2GHz Pentium 4, 1gb of DDR2. Just summing up differences.

I noticed something that could show a problem but I don't know. Each pc has 2 DVD drives on them, both drives on the old pc and one on the new one sometimes have trouble pushing the little lid on the case open and may make faint whining noises when using the HX650w, not sure if that says anything though..

Any specific tests I can do or run to further test the PSU?

• Corsair Employee
If the HX650 is working in a different system then you either have some sort of short or grounding problem that the HX650 is picking up in your main system, or there is a compatibility issue. The HX650 is built to ATX12v 2.01 specs and some OEM systems use proprietary PSUs. At any time we could try replacing it for you, but if its working in a different system I would suspect that a replacement unit would not resolve the problem.

My computer that I use is a Gateway DX4822-01. I don't see anything saying it needs Proprietary PSU.

The pc I am testing it on is a HP Pavilion 752n. The case is small so the psu that can fit inside it is actually half the size of what the HX650w is. So I have to have the psu outside the case to run it. I can hear electronic sizzling or faint screeching noises from the psu when the desktop starts up or comes out of sleep mode, but the same problems as scratching noises and such doesn't continue, because the pc doesn't have many intense usage programs on it. Not sure if this provides any help... Anything I can look for to tell if its the psu?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
We have seen a lot of OEM system use their own proprietary design and isn't fully compatible with off the shelve parts. Have you checked the ATX spec on the system? The PSU is ATX12V v2.2 and backward comaptible to ATX12V v2.01. If your system is older than v2.01, then it isn't compatible.

Archived