Corsair Community

Fan Voltage on Pull Configuration H60 cooler

matthew3

I installed an H60 corsair cpu cooler, and im just curious what would be a good voltage to set the fan on, i have it on 7.62 volts, i just dont want to let it sit on too high a voltage for something thats running continuously, but i want the fan to pull enough heat from the radiator. Thanks for input.

If it's the 4-pin fan connector, you should set it to have the full 12V. It won't hurt the fan at all. That's a PWM fan so it should always have the full 12V with the speed controlled by the PWM signal.

So have it be controlled by temperature and not just a steady 12 V is what your saying?

It's going to be controlled by temperature, the question is how.

There are two ways to do variable fan speed control - DC (by altering the voltage) or PWM (sending a Pulse Width Modulation signal to indicate the desired speed).

The cooler's fans are intended to be controlled by PWM - and that's a constant 12V. Now, with this cooler, you'll control that in the BIOS by whatever temperature the BIOS makes available to you as a control source - usually CPU temperature. It's not a great control source for a liquid cooler but it can work.

Depending on the type of fan, some PWM fans actually won't operate properly if they aren't supplied the constant 12V.

It's going to be controlled by temperature, the question is how.

There are two ways to do variable fan speed control - DC (by altering the voltage) or PWM (sending a Pulse Width Modulation signal to indicate the desired speed).

The cooler's fans are intended to be controlled by PWM - and that's a constant 12V. Now, with this cooler, you'll control that in the BIOS by whatever temperature the BIOS makes available to you as a control source - usually CPU temperature. It's not a great control source for a liquid cooler but it can work.

Depending on the type of fan, some PWM fans actually won't operate properly if they aren't supplied the constant 12V.

Im able to do PWM in my bios with something called smart fan control and set the fan to a certain percentage based on the temperature ( of the cpu im guessing ) , im still trying to play around with what are good boosting points for the fan based on what temperature. If i turn smart fan control off with the PWM mode im able to just set a general % for the fan use.