Corsair Community

i am probably going to cause some high blood pressure in this community, but here goes: I am a NON GAMER!!!! Dum Dum Duuuuuuuuuum!!! GASP! NOOOOOOOO!!!!! Yes! Never the less I just bought the Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB with the "brown" keys .. because my passion is Music Software like DAWS and other musical instrument interfaces and I want a mechanical keyboard but with relatively "quiet" key presses. Yet I want a really solid quality color display keyboard.. You can find keyboards dedicated to DAWS but not one that is flexible enough to cover multiple DAW systems... (also I am not confident they will match the quality of Corsair's keyboards. )

So Now that I've scared at least half of you away.. here is my question: I don't seem to find many RGB profiles for NON-GAMING software! Really? Do any users like to use any Utilitarian uses of a color display keyboard where specific Keyboard layouts can be colored or even animated for specific software??? besides Games? I can think of not only Static displays but even animated ones that might indicate different modes of music making. (Mixing vs. Transport vs Sequencing ) I'm asking because I don't seem to find anything and I'm curious to know why not?

Because musicians use MIDI keyboards, not gaming keyboards to make music :P (I'm ignorant of music work, so hey... we're still friends... right?)

Beside jokes, I did a personal profile for autodesk maya (3d software), I think that simply there isn't much people that buys a gaming RGB keyboard for work because the overkill features that most people don't need and won't have time/will to "learn how to make"/make a personal layout to make it pretty, and when someone gets used to the software they're probably won't be looking the keyboard.

Personally I find RGB keyboards useful for work, but not indispensable to do a better job.

GAhhhh!!! But this is SO MUCH PRETTIER then boring business keyboards! I just set mine up (Yes! just now!!! ) and Oh man! these keys feel like heaven! my typing fingers are SO much Infinitely happier! (Sigh! its a pity! I guess instead of finding a wheel already made by a musician.. I'm going to have Invent one!

So this is what I would like to know: With Gaming.. I know you can set nice static lighting setups and highlighting specific keys when you are say "tank" mode or "Fill them with Lead mode" or "Running the HELL away from that Big Ravenous velociraptor" mode. But this is what I would like to know: How easy is it have your Key sets change based on Events initiated by the Software?

In other words, Say you are slaughtering a Platoon of monsters with all your weapons controls and then suddenly something freaky happens and an evil wizard waves his want.. and suddenly you are stark naked in flight mode.. Do you have to execute a key command to change the cue lighting theme? or is it possible to get Cue 2 to respond to events happening in a game? My crazy imagination is contemplating the idea of shaping the behavior based on events happening in Music software to affect the Cue 2 Lighting pattern. Is that too ambitious? I'm even imagining a lighting pattern that is triggered by a clock event.. like a metronome... or a MIDI event, like colors that change depending on a specific note value. I mean COME ON! Someone has got to have thought of this?

but perhaps on a less fanciful level.. let me ask this: So lets say you ARE limited to initiatng RGB patterns or static displays by a key combination. Will the Key combination function in the Software as it was originally intended, or is it "hi-jacked" by Cue? I'm realizing my question seems a little obvious as I'm asking it... but I just want to be sure: if say Shift-F12 fires a cannon in the game, Does it ALSO trigger a display or Cue2 Macro .. or is it only one or the other? I'll have to experiment I guess... but thought I'd ask in advance...

Since I probably will not be eviscerating zombies anytime soon..:eek::eek:

I use the K95 RGB for Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and 3Ds Max. I have the G-keys setup for all sorts of shortcuts depending on which application I'm running... Cut, copy, paste, paste in place, save, save as, save for web, send to front, send to back, rotate, move along axis, etc etc... Love the K95 with 18 G-keys, and will never buy the Platinum with only six. I did not buy the K95 for gaming (however, I do use it with P3D, XP, and FSW).

I use the K95 RGB for Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and 3Ds Max. I have the G-keys setup for all sorts of shortcuts depending on which application I'm running... Cut, copy, paste, paste in place, save, save as, save for web, send to front, send to back, rotate, move along axis, etc etc... Love the K95 with 18 G-keys, and will never buy the Platinum with only six. I did not buy the K95 for gaming (however, I do use it with P3D, XP, and FSW).

Ok.. so you have some experience with using this with Non-Gaming software? Good.. I am trying to figure out this Cue2 interface.. and the thing I'm going for just is NOT obvious to me!!! I set up a lighting scheme with specific Keys command keys highlighted in a different color. Great! Now, When I press specific Keys.. (I'm Playing with a Propellerhead Reason profile right now) I want to be able to Change the Lighting to a different layout! In Reason if you choose F7 for example, it will switch to a Sequencer View.. and I want a different layout for specific Sequencer commands.

Here is the problem: I would Expect to define a Macro based on the F7 key that will then select a pre-defined "Lighting effect" I have made and stored in my library. Within the Macro there is a field for "Lighting" But if I click on the list box.. there are NO Items to choose from!!!! Even though I have defined and created several Lighting Effects and stored them in the Lighting Effects Library! What's the trick?

It sounds like in past versions they had "Profiles" and then you could define "modes" within Profiles.. but from what I can tell that has been abandoned!

I think that what you want is a profile switch. You need 2 or more profiles to make this happen.

To do a macro for profile switching, you would like to click in "actions" of your profile, click the "+" for add a macro, select "Profile switching" in the drop down menu.

After that, you can choose the switching mode, that probably will be a "direct profile selection" then you can choose your profile.

At right there are 2 gears, if you click them there is an advanced setting "retain original key output", if you don't flag that, for example the sequencer won't appear because the software won't read the key.

After that, you select the F7 key by clicking on the keyboard on CUE, and that's it.

You may want to create a macro for profile switching on the profile for the sequencer, same thing, and maybe same key if the sequencer toggles.

Hope this helps.

hmmm.. Ok... REALLY? So for a given game or software you might use 5 or 10 profiles???? That seems odd.. There is no sub levels or layers ? I thought it makes sense to select 1 profile per application! ... so you might have 10 profiles? all named "world or warcraft? or 10 "photoshop" profiles? .. and I'm still puzzled by the "Actions" menu! In Macro mode, If you click the "START SETTINGS" Icon (checkered flag) There is a "Lighting" drop down menu. Why is it that you cannot choose among any Lighting effects you may have created? Is that control and its accompanying "Test" button just useless? How do you populate that list? so that you can make the macro choose a another Lighting effect?

Ok, I have played around with it.. Now I think I get the "switching Profiles" thing.. (Though honestly, I think they need a better term than "Profile" now that its meaning and function has changed recently has been changed recently!)

In any case.. I now can create Keyboard layouts based on key presses... which is what I wanted.. I like that you can "hold down" a CNTRL or ALT key and get the keyboard to light different relevant keys! There is one limitation I'd like to seem them improve though. You can define one key for a Profile switch, but I have discovered you CANNOT do it for multiple keys! Like CTRL-SHIFT or CTRL-ALT.. I think I'll ask in the forum at large if there is a way to achieve that!

The easiest thing to do would be to create 3 profiles with the three M keys at the top of the keyboard and switching that way. The only problem is there are only 3. I will look into this because, yeah, I want more profiles for say, P3D, one for each class of plane or heli. I've been wanting to do this, but now that I think about it, how am I going to create more than 3 within said application? (I don't have this need for business applications). CUE 2 took me a few hours to figure out by playing around with it, and by the end of the evening, I was no longer wanting to go back to CUE 1.

Ok, I have played around with it.. Now I think I get the "switching Profiles" thing.. (Though honestly, I think they need a better term than "Profile" now that its meaning and function has changed recently has been changed recently!)

In any case.. I now can create Keyboard layouts based on key presses... which is what I wanted.. I like that you can "hold down" a CNTRL or ALT key and get the keyboard to light different relevant keys! There is one limitation I'd like to seem them improve though. You can define one key for a Profile switch, but I have discovered you CANNOT do it for multiple keys! Like CTRL-SHIFT or CTRL-ALT.. I think I'll ask in the forum at large if there is a way to achieve that!

I know what do you mean and I would like too some kind of deep customization as you told, but there isn't for now :C

I did that for my Autodesk Maya profile, you can drop an eye on that and examinate my multiple ctrl-alt-shift combos, there is also an explaination of how it works.

HEY! I think I figured out how to create "Multi Key" profiles!!! (using the "profile switching" Action)

Here it is:

Lets say I have a "Chrome Profile" It highlights whatever single Action keys affect actions in Chrome.

I also have a "CNTRL" and another "ALT" Profile. Which shows whatever actions occur in Chrome whenever I click and hold the "CNTRL" key or click and hold down the ALT key to show whatever keys achieve appropriate actions. (As suggested above by Lupo Marcio!) I used the Profile Switching action for each so that when someone in Chrome holds down either CNTRL or ALT they see the appropriate keys that do something in the applicaiton.

NOW.. What about CNTRL+SHIFT or CNTRL+ALT?

I thought this was not possible because you cannot define more than one Key to trigger a Profile switching Action.

But by experimenting I found this IS Possible! What you do is to create a new profile With its own Lighting effects, call it "Chrome CNTRL-SHIFT" with a static Highlight of the keys I want to stand out for that particular key combo, Then Only in the CNTRL Profile you created earlier You make a new profile switch action where its trigger key is "Shift". Be sure and check "While Pressed" option. Now you will ONLY switch to that profile ONLY when You hold down the CNTRL key AND THEN hold down the SHIFT key! ... AND when you release ALL keys it will return back to the original "Chrome" profile!

I should note that in every Profile Shifting action.. Its really important to check the "Retain original key output" so that it will not interfere with the applications built in shortcut key.

Another note to make is that if you use a profile that profile switches on the "CNTRL" key you MAY have to temporarily remove that specific action (say "LCNTRL" because you WILL need the cntrol key to add more than one key to a customized Lighing Effect .. whithout causing CUE2 to switch while you are working on it!)

I think one could create a Highlighted MAP of every Major key combination used in any given application!

Archived