Corsair Community

Corsair 500R Mounting fans

XReflection

Hey all,

So I just got my 500r yesterday and got all my stuff put in. I feel the need to put in more fans. I was wondering how exactly you mount the fans into the case? I would like to put two fans on the top under the grating. my understanding is that you can put either 120 or 140mm fans. But I tried to mount a 120mm fan and the fan screws that came with the case don't screw into place?

My questions are:

- The long screws are the fan screws right?

- What kind of fans are compatible? I was trying to mount an extra Antec 120mm I had lying around.

- The hole that the fan screw goes through is not threaded, so how does that work? The fan screws (at least the screws I think are fan screws) are really thin, so they don't grip onto anything.

Any suggestions or ways to enlighten me?

• Corsair Employee

A: Maybe not normally Fan Screws look like this!

- What kind of fans are compatible? I was trying to mount an extra ######## 120mm I had lying around.

A: you can use any standard 120MM fan there are no issues that I am aware of.

- The hole that the fan screw goes through is not threaded, so how does that work? The fan screws (at least the screws I think are fan screws) are really thin, so they don't grip onto anything

A: Please see the answer for the first question!

Unfortunately this is also true with the Carbide 400R as well. :(

I just bought my wife's case and I had exactly the same problem. It seems Corsair supplies the mounting screws for the H100 or something similar. There are NO fan mounting screws like there are in the 650D, 600T boxes of goodies.

Also because Corsair has oversized the holes for the grommets, the standard fan screws that you have shown in the link just barely hold. You really need the wide flat head ones. Again, like the ones that come with the 650D or 600T

If you are not sure what I mean, then look at the head on the screws on the top fan on a 650D or the ones on the back of case holding the exhaust fan.

This was a major setback for me living in a country town with very little Computer stores. I had to beg (borrow) 8 corsair type (large head) from a friend that had 2 Corsair cases.

Even he was suprised to see no screws. I have to say that this may not be considered a major overlook, but you can see from my little tale it was in my eyes.

I give the Corsair Carbide 400r a score of 10/10

For the bundle you get (Screws etc) 4/10

Let me know the case # and I will have customer service look into it right away.

Case Number 2302735

I got a message from Corsair today asking for my name and address so I am guessing they are looking into it already :biggrin:

- What kind of fans are compatible? I was trying to mount an extra ######## 120mm I had lying around.

- The hole that the fan screw goes through is not threaded, so how does that work? The fan screws (at least the screws I think are fan screws) are really thin, so they don't grip onto anything.

Yes, the long screws are fan screws, but they will only work for the three mounting points inside the case. You can fix 2 fans behind the HDD tray and 1 fan on the bottom of the case. There you will find the appropriate threaded holes where the long screws can grip onto. You can use any 120 mm fan.

The response I got back from Corsair was that the screws had to be ordered and could take a week or two. I'm guessing if that's the case (No Pun Intended) then we'll all be waiting for them for several days.

I did an RMA and haven't gotten any confirmation or any reply at all.. :/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived