Corsair Community

Late 2017 CorsairOne 1080Ti Get Hot Easily Now

Waterman

I have owned this Corsair One Since Feb 2018, it is a 2017 model with 1080Ti and Intel i7-7700K.

However, in the last 2 months, I noticed that it gets hot with the GPU temp easily reaching 90 while playing games. It never got hot before. I played Diablo III.

It is because the PC is getting old? Or is there other reason I don't know?

Hi Waterman!

You are definitely not alone here! I have a similar Corsair One with 1080 Ti and i7-7700K, purchased late 2017, and I noticed drastically worsened GPU thermals recently. In some games I get image artifacts all over the screen after playing for a while, then it goes black and the only way out is hard system shutdown.

The machine is clean, I even removed the side panels to clean the dust which I couldn't vacuum-clean from the outside. I have the last Windows feature update, which required manually installing Corsair Link 4.4.4.9 from the link on the forum to prevent the blue screen during update due to Cpu-Z.

I have performed stress-testing in Furmark, I attach a screenshot with thermals graph from Furmark and from Corsair Link. Main system fan on top of the case was set to Max RPM manually from the beginning. What I observe in Furmark is that GPU temp starts to climb up after a while, GPU fan ramps up, but the GPU pump stays at constant RPM around 2400 all the time. Eventually GPU temp gets to 85C at which point I stopped the test.

Furmark2.thumb.jpg.26a87c975a4bb329489391e3d0236c5d.jpg

Edited by nikitam

Hi Waterman!

You are definitely not alone here! I have a similar Corsair One with 1080 Ti and i7-7700K, purchased late 2017, and I noticed drastically worsened GPU thermals recently. In some games I get image artifacts all over the screen after playing for a while, then it goes black and the only way out is hard system shutdown.

The machine is clean, I even removed the side panels to clean the dust which I couldn't vacuum-clean from the outside. I have the last Windows feature update, which required manually installing Corsair Link 4.4.4.9 from the link on the forum to prevent the blue screen during update due to Cpu-Z.

I have performed stress-testing in Furmark, I attach a screenshot with thermals graph from Furmark and from Corsair Link. Main system fan on top of the case was set to Max RPM manually from the beginning. What I observe in Furmark is that GPU temp starts to climb up after a while, GPU fan ramps up, but the GPU pump stays at constant RPM around 2400 all the time. Eventually GPU temp gets to 85C at which point I stopped the test.

Hi Nikitam, what you described is exactly what I am facing, in fact it seems getting worse by the day.

Right now, even just browsing internet can cause the fan speed to go up to a very noisy level, even though the GPU or CPU are not even hot.

I hope 1080Ti is not getting outdated this fast?

Hi Nikitam, what you described is exactly what I am facing, in fact it seems getting worse by the day.

Right now, even just browsing internet can cause the fan speed to go up to a very noisy level, even though the GPU or CPU are not even hot.

I hope 1080Ti is not getting outdated this fast?

I don't have the issue with internet browsing (yet?), are you sure your system is clean? I don't think the GPU is getting outdated this fast, no, a hardware/software problem is more likely. For me the GPU works all fine until around 90C (which is the thermal limit anyway), but it shouldn't actually get there with proper cooling. There are a few recent threads from users with similar or related issues, but I couldn't find exact reason for malfunction in these threads. My current guesses are

1. Bad GPU block-GPU die contact due to dry thermal paste that needs replacement

2. Gunk inside GPU cooling block, similar to what happens in custom water cooling loops after a while

3. Pump not working, even though Corsair Link shows that it does

4. Software error, maybe GPU should start throttling to prevent overheating instead of going straight to 90C?

5. Software error, maybe pump is OK but it should speed up instead of fluctuating around 2400 RPM? Maybe this all is a coincidence, but I started noticing the overheating after Windows feature update and Corsair Link 4.4.4.9 update, along with some recent NVidia drivers.

Corsair Mint, thanks for the information! I contacted the Support team.

P.S. This https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=195961 might also be related to our problem.

Edited by nikitam

Have you guys not yet re pasted your AIO coolers to the GPU/CPU's? Might be worth it, was for me big time.

Hey zguy85, thanks for sharing your experience!

What thermals did you get before and after? Are there any things to pay extra attention to during the re-pasting? For instance, I understand that there is no heat spreader between the GPU die and the cooler, and I was a bit worried that I can crack it by applying to much mounting pressure.

At work atm ill update when I'm off

**Ok, first off if your system is from 2017, which sounds like it is. It's been 3 years like mine. Paste IMHO paste starts to turn into doo doo in about 3 years of average "Gamer" use. So yes I would highly recommend a repaste if your gaming on the daily/ish.

There are plenty of videos on youtube how to properly clean and reapply new thermal paste/ TIM. Another possibility is that your pump on either your GPU or CPU is dying hence sporadic up-tiks in heat.

My thermals varied a lot not just do to repaste which I did early on after purchase, but I went from a paste to a liquid metal TIM (Thermal Interface Material). I used Thermal Grizzly's Conductonaut and went down an average of 10C! on the CPU and GPU! Mind you, I also DE-Lidded the processor and also Conductonated the Processor Die to to the lid which then the cooler makes contact to with more conductonaut! =)

The OG paste INTEL uses on the 7700K Die to the Lid is garbage and has many people comment such. Highly recommend doing that if you feel comfortable enough. There's a kit out there I purchased that made it ez to perform the de-lid.

Check out this old post I had going. If you read this entire thread with my posts it will enlighten you. Some good videos linked in here as well. https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=168574

Edited by zguy85

• 2 weeks later...

If I have to paste to make it work like before, I will never a buy Corsair One again.

My iMac 5K from 2014, the very first 5K imac still work beautifully without any problem and is actually my main driver since the Corsair One start giving me problem.

My MacBook Pro from 2013 is the same, working very well without any issue. Before I got my Corsair One in Feb 2018, I used both of these to play games. It is so sad to see iMac and Macbook Pro are outlasting Corsair One by such a big margin.

• 5 weeks later...
I don't have the issue with internet browsing (yet?), are you sure your system is clean? I don't think the GPU is getting outdated this fast, no, a hardware/software problem is more likely. For me the GPU works all fine until around 90C (which is the thermal limit anyway), but it shouldn't actually get there with proper cooling. There are a few recent threads from users with similar or related issues, but I couldn't find exact reason for malfunction in these threads. My current guesses are

1. Bad GPU block-GPU die contact due to dry thermal paste that needs replacement

2. Gunk inside GPU cooling block, similar to what happens in custom water cooling loops after a while

3. Pump not working, even though Corsair Link shows that it does

4. Software error, maybe GPU should start throttling to prevent overheating instead of going straight to 90C?

5. Software error, maybe pump is OK but it should speed up instead of fluctuating around 2400 RPM? Maybe this all is a coincidence, but I started noticing the overheating after Windows feature update and Corsair Link 4.4.4.9 update, along with some recent NVidia drivers.

Corsair Mint, thanks for the information! I contacted the Support team.

P.S. This https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=195961 might also be related to our problem.

After multiple testing, I believe my problem is likely due to GPU pasting? Because it is always the GPU getting too hot, not the CPU.

Is there any guide how to do GPU thermal pasting in a Corsair One

Hey Waterman, checkout this video my guy.

Thanks. But this video doesn't help me.

My problem is not doing the thermal pasting of the GPU itself, it is how to safely do it on the Corsair One, I hate to mess thing up.

Do you happen to have a good thermal paste to recommend that will definitely work well with Corsair One?

Meanwhile, still waiting for Corsair to reply my ticket.

It's super ez your just gonna take the water cooler of the GPU by the 4 screws attached in the corners and it comes right off. Clean both GPU side and water cooler side with alcohol and reattach with clean paste. If you need more info let me know. This machine is simple its not complicated. Edited by zguy85

It's super ez your just gonna take the water cooler of the GPU by the 4 screws attached in the corners and it comes right off. Clean both GPU side and water cooler side with alcohol and reattach with clean paste. If you need more info let me know. This machine is simple its not complicated.

Thanks for reassuring, I saw that 4 screws. I think I can do it.

By the way, what paste have you tried and worked well?

Thank you for the recommendations, between the two, which one works better?

This is my first time pasting. Does these work for the CPU too?

And how many gram of pasting should I get? I mean how much is needed?

For first time users, I would recommend the Noctua NT-H1 it's easier to spread then the Thermal Grizzly which is probably on par with the Noctua but a little harder to spread.

I would just get the Noctua and do it just like Jay does in the video. You can use this for CPU and GPU. I would get the amount put in the link. One tube will be plenty for both gpu and cpu for sure.

Just remember to lay the cooler strait down on the cpu/gpu. Don't allow it to slide around just push it strait down and screw it in. Alternate corners when screwing it down evenly and you'll be fine.

For first time users, I would recommend the Noctua NT-H1 it's easier to spread then the Thermal Grizzly which is probably on par with the Noctua but a little harder to spread.

I would just get the Noctua and do it just like Jay does in the video. You can use this for CPU and GPU. I would get the amount put in the link. One tube will be plenty for both gpu and cpu for sure.

Just remember to lay the cooler strait down on the cpu/gpu. Don't allow it to slide around just push it strait down and screw it in. Alternate corners when screwing it down evenly and you'll be fine.

Thanks, I tried it and it worked.

I got the Thermal Grizzly before I saw your last post. Got it from Micro Center. Everything else I have to wait for a week. I want to play WoW Shadowland pre-patch, can't wait for a week.

An hour ago, I replaced the GPU thermal paste first, I didn't do the CPU one, I went on to play WoW and changed to the highest setting and let my FPS max at 120. After playing in a group for about 30 mins, the GPU temp stay around 60C, it was 90C before the change. I wonder if 60C is normal? Anyway, it allows me to finish the game without hanging on me or causing artefacts.

However, after 30 mins, the CPU temp reaches 100C, the Corsair case feels like burning, it couldn't even shut down I have to forcefully shut it down. In my 3 years of having this machine, I have never seen my Corsair One at 100C and the case feeling so hot.

After it cools down, I replaced the CPU thermal paste and play WoW again, it peaked about 50-57C.

I am not sure if my temperatures are normal, I wonder if Corsair can comment on it? I opened a ticket on the weekends, haven't hear back yet.

Update:

Two hours after replacing the thermal paste of the CPU and GPU, under max load, the CPU temp hover around 65-70C and the GPU stay around 56C at all time. I am certain this is the normal GPU temp, but I wonder if my CPU temp is too high? The coolant temp is around 58C.

Edited by Waterman

Looks like you did a great job with the repaste. Happy to hear you chose the Thermal Grizzly, it"s my favorite brand. Great job! Those temps are what I would expect... really nice! Most folks don't understand the need of repasting every couple of years when gaming a lot, I didn't myself until a few years ago. Really good to hear everything worked out great for you. Now your back in the game! Edited by zguy85

Looks like you did a great job with the repaste. Happy to hear you chose the Thermal Grizzly, it"s my favorite brand. Great job! Those temps are what I would expect... really nice! Most folks don't understand the need of repasting every couple of years when gaming a lot, I didn't myself until a few years ago. Really good to hear everything worked out great for you. Now your back in the game!

Thanks for all your help. Your advice was the key.

By the way, I still have some left over thermal paste, how long can it be kept this way?

Should I try to replace the thermal paste every now and then? Or should I do it only when it gets hot?

Hey Waterman, glad to hear your machine is now working properly! I would say keep an eye on the temps, but I've never heard that anyone would replace pastes frequently, like every year or so. Two years, as zguy85 suggests, would make sense I think.

I also just re-pasted my GPU with a Noctua compound, GPU temperatures went down from 85C (and reboot) to just 50C in Furmark stress-test.

zguy85, thanks for the advice!

Edited by nikitam