Corsair Community

Corsair QL 140mm fans on Lighting Node PRO?

ForteNoir

I'm preparing to purchase some QL 140's for my case; a particular seller is heavily discounting single-pack 140's, so I can't get the Lighting Node CORE if I buy all six fans from the same merchant.

My question is, if I buy a loose Lighting Node from another seller, are the QL fans only compatible with the Node CORE that comes in the two-pack, or can they function and be controlled via iCUE using the older Node PRO? If the Node PRO works, are there disadvantages in terms of controls and features?

I just want to make an educated purchasing decision, is all.

There is one “disadvantage” to be aware of. Specifically for QL fans, if you load up channel 1 on the Node Pro, RGB channel 2 will become disabled. That makes the LNP a 1 channel device, much like the Core. This only matters if you were planning to use the 2nd channel for strips or more fans.

The second issue is you will also need a RGB Lighting hub. The Node Pro is the lighting controller. The RGB hub is the lighting power. While there are lots of Node Pros floating out there, the RGB hub is much harder to obtain. It should be $10 USD, but frequently gets massive markups beyond normal shipping costs. Unfortunately, the Core devices are even more elusive, so that may still be the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...
There is one “disadvantage” to be aware of. Specifically for QL fans, if you load up channel 1 on the Node Pro, RGB channel 2 will become disabled. That makes the LNP a 1 channel device, much like the Core. This only matters if you were planning to use the 2nd channel for strips or more fans.

The second issue is you will also need a RGB Lighting hub. The Node Pro is the lighting controller. The RGB hub is the lighting power. While there are lots of Node Pros floating out there, the RGB hub is much harder to obtain. It should be $10 USD, but frequently gets massive markups beyond normal shipping costs. Unfortunately, the Core devices are even more elusive, so that may still be the way to go.

Do the fans not draw power to the LEDs via a standard case-mount PWM hub? Also, between the two types of devices I've seen (one with six connections in a 2x3 configuration, and one with two connections right next to each other), which is the Node Pro and which is the RGB Hub?

Take a look at the guide below. Pictures at the top help with the all too similar naming schemes.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

Most newer RGB fan with high LED counts are going to have separate wiring for fan motor power/control and lighting. The lighting current draw varies by fan and LED count, but is still significantly more than the motor.

Take a look at the guide below. Pictures at the top help with the all too similar naming schemes.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

Most newer RGB fan with high LED counts are going to have separate wiring for fan motor power/control and lighting. The lighting current draw varies by fan and LED count, but is still significantly more than the motor.

Hi c-attack so I'm curious about the actual power draw of these RGB fans. In the QL fan product page, it shows that it draws 0.3 A. Is this total power draw or motor or RGB?

The 0.30A is motor current only. Fortunately someone else made a detailed chart of lighting currents below. It’s also pinned in the iCUE section.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=191905

I see thanks, wow 1 QL fan draws 0.53A (white, 100% brightness). With the new Commander Core, Corsair really push the limit of a controller. Let's say you're putting 6 QL fans then (0.3*6) + (0.53*6) = 4.98A and it still does not include the cooler itself. I wonder how much current that can be handled by this new commander core.

The fans will pull their lighting amperage on the 5v line and the fan motors on the 12v. The SATA should provide 4.5A for each. That sets a pretty clear max on the lighting for adding extra fans via other means. It gives the appearance of allowing a lot more headroom on the 12v fan control headers. I have run 10, but I am not sure I would push too hard there. It's not indestructible, does run a bit warm, and has a tendency to react poorly to triple splitters. Depending on your application, you may benefit from using a PWM repeater hub to offload current while utilizing 1 header for the PWM control signal. That gives you CUE control over a large bank of fans. I use one to handle the 6 push-pull fans on one of my 360mm radiators. No need for individual fan control there and it takes a large chunk of current off the controller and over to another line.

The fans will pull their lighting amperage on the 5v line and the fan motors on the 12v. The SATA should provide 4.5A for each. That sets a pretty clear max on the lighting for adding extra fans via other means. It gives the appearance of allowing a lot more headroom on the 12v fan control headers. I have run 10, but I am not sure I would push too hard there. It's not indestructible, does run a bit warm, and has a tendency to react poorly to triple splitters. Depending on your application, you may benefit from using a PWM repeater hub to offload current while utilizing 1 header for the PWM control signal. That gives you CUE control over a large bank of fans. I use one to handle the 6 push-pull fans on one of my 360mm radiators. No need for individual fan control there and it takes a large chunk of current off the controller and over to another line.

I see I forgot about the different voltage between RGB and motor. Thanks for clearing that up. For RGB I think putting 6 on the available slot is more than enough because we can put the rest on the node core or node pro. The real value on this commander core controller is the ability to control fan speed just like commander pro. I'm thinking about putting all PWM fans there via splitter and/ or powered fan hub.