Corsair Community

h115i pro fans can not be controlled

h3xlay

Hello,

So i have recently purchased Maximus XI hero and re-built everything there and only problem i encounter is that fans can not be controlled from iCUE software.

Setup is like this:

• Pump is connected to AIO_Pump
  • Fans are connected to splitter and splitter to pump
  • USB Controller is connected to USB_E12

Everything shows up in iCUE, pump can be controlled however fans can not be, one is stuck at 1150ish rpm (max speed, -10% fans), one is stuck at 700ish rpm... any solutions?

P.S I know this has beed several times, but i've read every of them and still unable to make it work

P.S 2 Previously i had z370 gaming pro carbon and it was working just fine with same setup

P.S 3 I have tried to connect AIO to CPU_FAN, but it's same...

Swap the fans on the H115i fan connectors or just unplug and re-plug them. Most of the time this is a bad read on the tachometer wire, but we'll see. MB header for the for H115i is irrelevant. As long as the device is showing in iCUE, you should have control.

700 rpm is more likely the proper speed for the current temp and it is the maxed out one that is stuck. That would be reason to swap the two connectors. What happens? Does Fan 1 stay maxed out? Or does the other one now max out?

Swap the fans on the H115i fan connectors or just unplug and re-plug them. Most of the time this is a bad read on the tachometer wire, but we'll see. MB header for the for H115i is irrelevant. As long as the device is showing in iCUE, you should have control.

700 rpm is more likely the proper speed for the current temp and it is the maxed out one that is stuck. That would be reason to swap the two connectors. What happens? Does Fan 1 stay maxed out? Or does the other one now max out?

I did swap it on splitter, but always #2 fan is maxed out and #1 is on 700

Possible the PWM or tach pin on that connector has broken, is damaged, etc. The immediate quick fix is to take a 2 way PWM splitter (that's 1x4 pin and 1x3 pin) and run it from the one working header. You can contact Corsair support and theoretically RMA the cooler, although I am not sure I would for this issue. There is no real reason to need/use independent control over the two fans. You generally always run them the same speed. I would see if this make it usable again and save the more tedious full replacement for a larger issue.

Possible the PWM or tach pin on that connector has broken, is damaged, etc. The immediate quick fix is to take a 2 way PWM splitter (that's 1x4 pin and 1x3 pin) and run it from the one working header. You can contact Corsair support and theoretically RMA the cooler, although I am not sure I would for this issue. There is no real reason to need/use independent control over the two fans. You generally always run them the same speed. I would see if this make it usable again and save the more tedious full replacement for a larger issue.

I don't live in US, so i can't really RMA for any of reason so, if i can fix it without it, would be fine

Any PWM splitter should work from the one functioning header, presumably the 700 rpm one. In a disaster state, you can move the fans to the motherboard for speed/power and use whatever BIOS options are available for control. That usually results in extra fan speed changes since you can'tr access coolant temp as a control variable, but it does work.

Any PWM splitter should work from the one functioning header, presumably the 700 rpm one. In a disaster state, you can move the fans to the motherboard for speed/power and use whatever BIOS options are available for control. That usually results in extra fan speed changes since you can'tr access coolant temp as a control variable, but it does work.

Very strange thing is... i just tested with a game and fan bumped to 1200 rpm, well, to be specific it was like my previous fan curve was somehow saved, because it followed my fan curve before re-installing windows... maybe i am wrong about curve thing, but it definitely bumped to 1200 rpm as water temp got higher and my previous curve (i know that for sure) was based on water temp... Well, it still can not be controlled tho, but as long as one fan is at max and one just bumps on right time... i guess not that bad? also temps were similar, 1-2c higher maybe, can't say

You may not get an immediate fan speed change between the 3 presets at lower coolant temperatures. The steepness of the curve is more evident later. Regardless, if you are trying to determine if you have fan control, use the two fixed options in any custom curve. Take note if Fixed RPM does not work, but Fixed % does. That probably tells you which wire is the break in the circuit.

However, if does seem clear Fan connector #2 has an issue. It's probably a bend in the wire near the connector head any you might get a response if you jiggle it. I don't consider that a fix and I do recommend getting a cheap 2 way PWM splitter to run off Fan 1.

• 1 month later...
You may not get an immediate fan speed change between the 3 presets at lower coolant temperatures. The steepness of the curve is more evident later. Regardless, if you are trying to determine if you have fan control, use the two fixed options in any custom curve. Take note if Fixed RPM does not work, but Fixed % does. That probably tells you which wire is the break in the circuit.

However, if does seem clear Fan connector #2 has an issue. It's probably a bend in the wire near the connector head any you might get a response if you jiggle it. I don't consider that a fix and I do recommend getting a cheap 2 way PWM splitter to run off Fan 1.

Very late reply, but this my problem still exist... fixed RPM works for Fan #1, but not #2 (no matter which fan is connected to it) and my icue shows very strange driver errors on top of that... maybe that be a problem? since it worked flawlessly on previous mb (msi)

CueLog: https://pastebin.com/scgNY3qp

ServiceError: https://pastebin.com/6H6YE6FU

ServiceTrace: https://pastebin.com/WbWGcYGW

i just found out about that logging and the log was captured during changing from custom to extreme and extreme to custom.

Still fixed RPM does set incorrect value for Fan #1, if i set it to 1300 for 1200rpm fan it rotates on 1100 not 1150-1200 like it does on 100%

Edited by h3xlay

“Deprecated yet dangerous **********” does have a sexy edge to it, but it his highly likely you are looking at a physical issue on the splitter wire out of the pump. You can decide if it’s worth it to RMA the cooler. I would contact support anyway.

If you have the ML140-Quiet grey fans that came with the cooler, ~1100 is the normal maximum when faced with radiator resistance. 1200 is the free air specification, but all fans will run less with moderate restriction. When you tell it RPM xxx that is above its limit, it doesn’t know how to resolve that. It likely runs the actual max when you set PWM % 100.

Lol. It removed the word Java-Script from the above.

Edited by c-attack