Corsair Community

Force GT 240 GB SSD, F4 BSOD when left on overnight

Bolas

I'm having trouble with my new Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD. I bought it October 10, 2011, from Newegg.com.

When I leave my computer running overnight, mining bitcoins, I wake in the morning and discover that, lo and behold, my computer has crashed and rebooted itself. And is no longer mining bitcoins. :(

Checking the logs shows an f4 problem, which I believe from what I've researched on the internet, is related to the SSD.

I have the most recent BIOS on my motherboard, F7.

I have updated the firmware on the drive to the most recent, 1.3.3.

I'm not getting the ATTO scores I would expect, either.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/Bolas/Blue%20on%20Black/ATTOSSDBenchmarkCorsairForceGT240GB29Oct2011.jpg

I've filled out my system specs. Any help with improving the ATTO scores and fixing the BSOD would be appreciated.

Hi,

as I could read from you build log, you connected your SSD to Marvell port which is not recommended and explains the poor performance you achieve with ATTO. Anyway, this should not be related to BSODs, you can use Marvell port and you won't realize a difference in performance to native Intel/AMD SATA3 port unless you benchmark your disk or read/write large file amounts from/to your SSD. The best to unleash full speed SATA3 is buying a new mainboard with native Intel SATA3 port. An SATA3 PCIe-card won't get you any further as they are using the same Marvell controller and Intel SATA RAID cards are much too expensive (400+ $).

To solve your BSOD/F4 issue you can try the following:

- Disable C3/C6 settings in BIOS if available

- Turn off power saving features for memory in BIOS if available

If this won't solve your problem you should do the following steps:

- SecureErase your SSD with PartedMagic

- CMOS reset

- Clean reinstall of Win 7 (You may want to backup your OS before SecureErase and restore it, but a clean reinstall is more reliable and therefore recommended)

Hi,

as I could read from you build log, you connected your SSD to Marvell port which is not recommended and explains the poor performance you achieve with ATTO. Anyway, this should not be related to BSODs, you can use Marvell port and you won't realize a difference in performance to native Intel/AMD SATA3 port unless you benchmark your disk or read/write large file amounts from/to your SSD. The best to unleash full speed SATA3 is buying a new mainboard with native Intel SATA3 port. An SATA3 PCIe-card won't get you any further as they are using the same Marvell controller and Intel SATA RAID cards are much too expensive (400+ $).

That explains the difference in ATTO! It's the SATA3 controller on the motherboard, Marvell instead of a native Intel solution. That totally makes sense, thanks for explaining it.

I'll eventually get a new motherboard, but not any time soon, so I'll just accept this level of performance for a while.

As for the BSOD, I already have the power savings options turned off in BIOS. Didn't see C3/C6 settings.

I did not do a fresh install but rather used Acronis True Image Home 2012 to do a partition copy from my old SSD. Maybe a fresh install is in order, I guess I"ll have to figure out what I'd need to re-install other than the OS first.

I did a firmware upgrade for the motherboard from F6 to F7 recently, so that should have cleared CMOS, I thought? Maybe not *shrug*

Still looking for a magic solution to the BSOD.

As for the BSOD, I already have the power savings options turned off in BIOS. Didn't see C3/C6 settings.

I checked the manual, the option is called <C3/C6/C7 State Support> and could be found in BIOS' submenu <Advanced CPU Features> if your CPU supports this feature (see manual p. 43).

I did a firmware upgrade for the motherboard from F6 to F7 recently, so that should have cleared CMOS, I thought?

Right, it should have. To make sure CMOS gets cleared you can remove mainboard's battery for ~20 seconds. But this is only one step out of three, more important would be the SecureErase and a clean reinstallation. I guess (from my own experience) this could be the magic solution :sunglasse

Here's the error message I get.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: f4

BCP1: 0000000000000003

BCP2: FFFFFA800DB0D720

BCP3: FFFFFA800DB0DA00

BCP4: FFFFF800029818B0

OS Version: 6_1_7601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\111911-21078-01.dmp

C:\Users\Zak\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-8874203-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I think that perhaps the settings that I had on my computer were the ones that I had configured for the x25-m G2 160GB drive instead of for the Corsair, so a clean install might fix that if I install windows from scratch.

It should be fine to do that since I have my data on a different drive than the boot drive -- only OS and a few games on the C: drive.

Guess I need to figure out how to do a secure erase next. Maybe it's one of the options available in Acronis.

I checked the manual, the option is called <C3/C6/C7 State Support> and could be found in BIOS' submenu <Advanced CPU Features> if your CPU supports this feature (see manual p. 43).

I didn't see C3/C6/C7 state support in BIOS. I'll look one more time though.

Right, it should have. To make sure CMOS gets cleared you can remove mainboard's battery for ~20 seconds. But this is only one step out of three, more important would be the SecureErase and a clean reinstallation. I guess (from my own experience) this could be the magic solution :sunglasse

My motherboard has a "clear CMOS" button, so it's pretty easy to reset.

I'll try the secure erase and clean install and see how that goes... that could solve it actually, as you mentioned.

Guess I need to figure out how to do a secure erase next. Maybe it's one of the options available in Acronis.

You should perform the SecureErase with PartedMagic. You can use YUMI to install PartedMagic to USB flash drive easily. A guide for SecureErasing with PartedMagic can be found here.

Disabling C3/C6 states could be a possible solution for some users. In my case, I had issues with BSODs (F4) and freezing, disabling the C-states didn't do anything better. So I upgraded the firmware to 1.3.2, but this didn't solved the problem at all. After performing a SecureErase and a clean Win 7 installation, the problem was solved. C-states are enabled. I hope this will help you, too!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been having legendary crashes (BSOD, sometimes before I even get a windows sign in screen), I followed the first two recommendations above, turning off power saving for memory and disabling C3 and C6, and it's stable for the first time (total about 5 hours) since I built the system a week ago.

Also ran Prime 95, pass, Intel burn test at max, etc.

Both 240GB Force GTs are running well. Both have 1.3.3. Not going to reinstall Windows 7 64 bit if I can get around it.

Thought I had troubles with the Marvell SATA 3 (6 GB/s) ports so disabled those, which seems to help too, but will try to reinstate those and see what happens, once I've been stable for awhile.

Thanks madnisman for that tip, seems to have worked for me

basic system:

Asus p8z68-v Pro/Gen 3, 16GB Crucial memory (2 x 8GB sticks, only one installed at this point in slot A2 as suggested by Asus.) I had 16 GB (2x4GB) G Skill ripjaws x and replaced it, not sure if that was the problem but the Crucial seems more stable)

I7 2600K, not OC at this point

SSDs:

Sapphire Radeon Vapor-X HD 5770 video card

2 Corsair Force GT 240GB

1 " " 90GB

1 Kingston 128GB VNow2

Phantom NZXT white full tower case and matching NZXT power supply

CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ CPU cooler

2 x 2TB Seagate HDD

1 x 1TB Seagate HDD

• 2 months later...

Ok, I've now performed a secure erase with parted magic and done a full clean install of windows. That did not solve the problem, I'm still getting crashes due to SSD F4 problem.

Hope I can get this figured out. Any assistance appreciated.

The one I just bought was blue screening at random times. So I went in and changed the power option to "performance mode". My blue screens went away after that. I also changed the hard drive setting for idle to never. So one or both fixed my issue. Thanks.

I tried this on Intel11.0.01032 WHQL my computer and it seems to have solved my problems.

I wonder if this driver has the registry port fix in it already? I'm seriously thinking about returning mine at this point. The random blue screens and the drive having problems handling compressible data. But I guess you can't get everything these days.

I know it seems to be solved but I don't like having a gut feeling it may blue screen in the middle of doing something important. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Still getting this crash after secure erase and fresh windows install.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: f4

BCP1: 0000000000000003

BCP2: FFFFFA800D793060

BCP3: FFFFFA800D793340

BCP4: FFFFF80002FD28B0

OS Version: 6_1_7601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\030212-28296-01.dmp

C:\Users\Zak Dolan\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-24612171-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Archived