Corsair Community

Remounting a H100i, thermal paste question!

dannaz423

Hello everyone

I was looking around at H100i stuff for not reason and I noticed on my own H100i I mounted the back plate incorrectly, I installed my back plate over the screws on the back instead of putting the screws on the notch in the back plate. I did notice the back plate was loose when I was installing it but when I put the pump and bracket on it was fine-ish. My temps on my 3570k are ok at 85 degrees with a 4.58ghz and 1.35v on balanced (I won the silicon lottery with my chip). Though the point of this whole post is to ask if I am able to take the pump off and the back plate off and install it correctly without having to replace the thermal paste, as I don't have any. If I take the pump off the thermal paste wouldn't work well when I put the pump back on would it?

Long story short will I need to replace the thermal paste if I reinstall my h100i.

it is highly recommended you replace the thermal paste everytime you put the heatsink back on...if you dont want a thermally conductive substance use something like MX arctic silver paste (not the silver kind)

If I don't want one? or if I do? silver paste, not the silver kind? Because that was the other point of the post, what is a good thermal paste?

no its not...it cant be worse than the stock thermal paste they put on the heatsinks...i know newegg didnt ship to you but i posted it to give you an example of the stuff you needed...if theres arctic silver 5 use that just be careful not to get it anywhere other than the processor and heatsink...if theres not arctic silver 5 or arctic MX 4 then try the ceramic or get a different brand of thermal paste...

for the temp difference probably not even 5C difference between silver/MX 4 and ceramic

no its not...it cant be worse than the stock thermal paste they put on the heatsinks...i know newegg didnt ship to you but i posted it to give you an example of the stuff you needed...if theres arctic silver 5 use that just be careful not to get it anywhere other than the processor and heatsink...if theres not arctic silver 5 or arctic MX 4 then try the ceramic or get a different brand of thermal paste...

for the temp difference probably not even 5C difference between silver/MX 4 and ceramic

I think it has silver 5 assuming this is it (http://umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=188&bid=2&sid=1473) thank you for all your help, I'm new with coolers and stuff obviously.

It isn't just "highly recommended" to replace the thermal grease after removing a heat sink; it's mandatory! Also, go to Arctic Silver's website and read the application instructions for your chosen grease and CPU type.

It isn't just "highly recommended" to replace the thermal grease after removing a heat sink; it's mandatory! Also, go to Arctic Silver's website and read the application instructions for your chosen grease and CPU type.

ahah thank you I will have a look when I do it this weekend, glad you mentioned that actually, had no idea the best way to apply it. Also should I use ArctiClean or just use methylated spirits?

Archived