The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 09:55 PM
salan's PC Specs

POST ID # = 427918
salan Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post
Easy way to determine that is to test one stick / one kit at a time. Also, what's the version number of each kit?
Sorry for noob question, but what do you mean by version number? I thought that was the "TR3X6G1600C8D" noted above. I'm sitting here with the box in my hand and see a few different codes but nothing that I can identify as version number.

I have not tried the one stick, one kit tests yet. That's probably best left to the weekend when I have time.

Thanks for your response.

Alan

PS - LOL, one of the reasons that I bought the new rig is for the learning experience. I am sure getting my moneys worth there. Also LOL, the computer really runs well at 1066.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:03 PM
busbina's PC Specs

POST ID # = 427920
busbina Reputation: 10

Oh yeah...All of my sticks runs great one at a time at 1600.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 427922
Wired Reputation: 32

It's on the memory label itself. How To Read the Memory Label
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 11-26-2009, 07:48 PM

POST ID # = 428424
JTVevox Reputation: 10

I've been having these kernel power crashes ever since I built this computer.

It's a EVGA x58 SLI LE with an i7 920 on 3x2GB TR3X6G1600C8D and Windows 7.

The crashes were pretty random and almost never happened when playing Left 4 Dead 2 or CoD MW2. It would usually be when watching movie trailers, or specifially it would always happen when organizing pictures in an album on facebook. It also happened consistently when I looked at my video library on Zune.

I've been really stumped on it and didn't know what to try until I saw this thread. I read this whole thread and I believe my problem is fixed as I am unable to get my computer to crash (doesn't that sound nice?).

In my BIOS I set the Performance Profile as XMP Profile 1, which automatically set my voltage to 1.65v, and the speed to 1600Mhz.

It still crashed at these settings so I read on. I read about upping the voltage to 1.75v so I did that, but the crashing was still there.

I was also a little concerned about having my voltage up to 1.75v since some people here didn't seem very happy about that. So I looked into it some more and ended up setting my CPU VTT to +300mV which should put me at 1.4v. I think I read it here, and somewhere else that the 1.75v is okay as long as you up the CPU VTT to within .5 or preferably .45 of the memory voltage. So that's what I did.

I ended up making these changes:

Profile: XMP Profile 1
Voltage: 1.75v
CPU VTT: +300mV (1.4v)

Everything else is default. I hope it stays this way, and I won't declare victory unless I go like a week without crashing, but I'm able to do everything I was not able to do before these settings.

Thanks a ton for all you guys who killed yourselves doing all those tests. This stuff is nuts.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:28 AM
icsmurfs's PC Specs

POST ID # = 428661
icsmurfs Reputation: 10

has anyone been able to run this ram at 1600 stable at 1.65v? I asked EVGA about bumping up the voltage to 1.75 and they don't recommend it as it could damage the memory control on the cpu and that Intel may not support it. They suggest I try another set of supported memory for the board or try the sticks in another system, both of which are highly inconvenient.

I'm frustrated with this memory. I have version 3.1.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:11 PM

POST ID # = 428678
JTVevox Reputation: 10

I heard if you up the CPU VTT with the memory voltage it's safe, but yeah I'm probably going to RMA it or go with a different brand to be extra safe.

I haven't crashed yet though..

Old 11-30-2009, 12:00 AM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 428721
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Its best not to go over 1.65 Volts for the memory Voltage and I would not go over 1.7 Volts for the CPU/QPI VTT Voltage. But it would be best to test the modules one at a time with www.memtest.org and just load setup defaults and enable XMP.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:51 AM
bottlecan's PC Specs

POST ID # = 429262
bottlecan Reputation: 10

hey guys just though i would throw in something ive noticed while trying to stablize this ram on the evga e758 board. In lots of places you read that you should," up the vtt voltage". most say raise it +150 or +250 right off the bat... "and make sure your PLL voltage is within .5 mv of the vtt voltage".
turning up all this voltage didnt result in stability with my overclocks( 2:8 running the ram under 1450). what i did notice that was kinda scary was that the Vreg temp was really HOT like mid 70's to 80's. i know that it runs hot but evga recommends to not exceed 70C. Im sure it was directly related to all that voltage increase. base tempts for the vreg are in the high 50's so its quite a jump in temp and you may want to keep an eye on that.

another thing...
im just as stable at 7-7-7-24 @1400ish as i am running 9-9-9-24 timings at the same speed. what gives?runs all night with memtest before windows loads. Its in prime 95 or OCCT that it will die. I read somewhere in the forum someone was having the same problem with crashing only in windows and running fine in memtest.
i paid top dollar for this ram because i understood that it was hands down the best :(
i feel like its holding my whole machine back since im only stable with default settings and minimal overclocks.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:40 AM

POST ID # = 429795
Timmeh84 Reputation: 10

this may be a stupid question but has anyone tried updating the bios to the latest release.. there was a new release done only a few days ago or so

Old 12-07-2009, 02:53 PM
MrDSplash's PC Specs

POST ID # = 429850
MrDSplash Reputation: 10

I built a new system from the ground up in June. The whole process was straight forward and it's never crashed. The first game I installed was CoD4. Despite the 'power' of my new PC, the game lagged. After many forum posts and emails to EVGA, I've since RMA'd two video cards. I've just installed my third. The 3DMark score was about the same. About 4950. EVGA now think it's the memory, hence me posting this.

I've played two other games and they look and play great. GRAW, which is a pre-Vista game and BiA: Hells Highway which is a Vista game.

The first question I ask is, after installing the three modules should I have gone into the BIOS to adjust or confirm that the memory is running at its most optimum? What should I be looking for and what should it be set at?

The full spec's in my profile.

DS

Last edited by MrDSplash; 12-07-2009 at 02:56 PM.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:09 PM
icsmurfs's PC Specs

POST ID # = 429865

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
Its best not to go over 1.65 Volts for the memory Voltage and I would not go over 1.7 Volts for the CPU/QPI VTT Voltage. But it would be best to test the modules one at a time with www.memtest.org and just load setup defaults and enable XMP.
I've tested all three sticks/modules individually using memtest 86 4.0 with defaults and XMP and they are all error free. All 3 together on XMP also pass multiple passes on memtest 86, yet the hard freezing contiues to occur when run at XMP or when settings are set manually to mimic XMP timings. What's next?

Old 12-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 430045
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

That would suggest it may not be the memory causing the problem, and does it hard lock in Memtest?

Old 12-14-2009, 01:52 AM
icsmurfs's PC Specs

POST ID # = 430795

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
That would suggest it may not be the memory causing the problem, and does it hard lock in Memtest?
No hard lock in memtest, only windows. I tried a set of competitor 1600 DDR3 6GB and it runs fine at 1600 mfg rated specs. Even running it overclocked at 1700 stable at the moment. I'm RMAing the corsair.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:45 AM
MrRiddler's PC Specs

POST ID # = 430986
MrRiddler Reputation: 10

I am having the exact same problem as everyone else is in this thread. I having been unable to run my memory at the native 1600mhz with 1.65 volts. I have tried everything from giving more voltage to the cpu vcore, vtt, and the vdims at 1.65. Nothing seems to work to get these at there rated speed. Memtest 86 passes with no errors, but fails prime 95 blend test in the first 5 minutes at 1600mhz. My computer will either freeze or restart by itself. I have been looking on other forums and this seems to be a common problem with this board and this memory combination. I did further testing by leaving everything on default and just applying 1.65 volts to the vdim and putting it on Xmp profile which gave me 2:12 for the ram divider and it still froze and restarted. No matter what settings i use i always get the same results. I am planning to rma these memory modules back to you guys. If any of the mods can reply to my post that would be much appreciated.

Last edited by MrRiddler; 12-15-2009 at 12:50 AM.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:52 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 430989
Wired Reputation: 32

If you're planning on RMAing them then there's no reason to post here. Instead, fill out the Request an RMA form.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)