The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2008, 04:18 AM

POST ID # = 378075
syscev Reputation: 10
Default TR3X3G1600C9 + triple channel + MSI Eclipse x58 very unstable

Hi Corsair Support,

I need help to get thing to work properly.

Systems specs as stated above.

TR3X3G1600C9 v1.1

1. TR3X3G1600C9 two sticks in dual channel mode using XMP. Its fine, can boot winxp pro.

2. TR3X3G1600C9 three sticks in triple channel mode using XMP. Cannot boot winxp pro, blue screens. Memtest86+ also crashes.

These ram has not been tested for Core i7 triple channel throughly ?

Last edited by syscev; 11-29-2008 at 04:23 AM.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:38 PM

POST ID # = 378092
Default more testing

Testing with Memtest86+ 2.10

1. Tested with XMP (Intel Extreme Memory Profiles) disable on Triple Channel mode with all 3 ram. Running at 1333Mhz. Pass 9 cycles with no crashing and no errors.

2. Tested with XMP enable on dual channel mode with ram on DIMM_A0 and DIMM_B0. Running at 1600Mhz CAS-9-9-9-24 (auto). Pass 2 cycles with no crashing and no errors. Able to boot windows.

3. Tested with XMP ON on triple channel mode. Running at 1600Mhz CAS-9-9-9-24 (auto). Sometimes crashes memtest86+ or sometimes able to reach 90%+ but will get the error in the picture below. Cannot boot windows. (BSOD)

Meanwhile I am running triple mode with XMP off.. I would like to fine out how to solve this problem.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:59 AM

POST ID # = 378150
Default It's in the list !

Quote:
TR3X3G1600C9 DDR3-1600 (XMS3-12800C9*XMP*3CH) 3GB Kit (3 x 1GB) 1.65v 9-9-9-24-2T
http://www.corsair.com/configurator/...#other_modules

But it doesn't work with Intel eXtreme Profiles enabled. What the heck.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:30 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 378215
DerekT Reputation: 10

You are so new in technology that you will very likely need to wait for further BIOS revisions that will clear up all the different DRAM IC's. This is very common with new technology. It took four BIOS revisions before my DRAM was able to hit the high end values.

I always pick my motherboards from the company that has the most BIOS software engineers so that there are more BIOS revisions to deal with issues.

I personally do not use EPP or XMP as by entering manually I have more control over the settings and do not allow the profiles to control values.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:14 AM

POST ID # = 378267
Default ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekT View Post
You are so new in technology that you will very likely need to wait for further BIOS revisions that will clear up all the different DRAM IC's. This is very common with new technology. It took four BIOS revisions before my DRAM was able to hit the high end values.

I always pick my motherboards from the company that has the most BIOS software engineers so that there are more BIOS revisions to deal with issues.

I personally do not use EPP or XMP as by entering manually I have more control over the settings and do not allow the profiles to control values.
Yeah.. I expected as much but when I buty "Recommended for Core i7" RAM I would expect it to work as advertised.

Got to wait and see the official replies from MSI and Corsair support so, this problem can be solved. Had a terrible time trying to get new rig up. Only the Ram speed issue is left.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:33 AM

POST ID # = 378270
Default MSI Supports reply..

MSI Supports reply..

Quote:
Dear ,

For your concern,please follow the suggestions below to check:
1.please make sure that each dimm and each ram is OK;
2.clear cmos referring to the user manual and make go to bios to load optimized defaults.
3.please format the disk with a clean system cd and meanwhile change another sata port to check;
4.please update the bios as described in the first mail.

Best regards,
MSI technical support team
Mine..

Quote:
Reply inline.

For your concern,please follow the suggestions below to check:
1.please make sure that each dimm and each ram is OK;
I ran memtest86+ on them thoroughly

1. Tested with XMP (Intel Extreme Memory Profiles) disable on Triple Channel mode with all 3 ram. Running at 1333Mhz. Pass 9 cycles with no crashing and no errors.

2. Tested with XMP enable on dual channel mode with ram on DIMM_A0 and DIMM_B0. Running at 1600Mhz CAS-9-9-9-24 (auto). Pass 2 cycles with no crashing and no errors. Able to boot windows.

3. Tested with XMP ON on triple channel mode. Running at 1600Mhz CAS-9-9-9-24 (auto). Sometimes crashes memtest86+ or sometimes able to reach 90%+ but will get the error in the picture below. Cannot boot windows. (BSOD)

2.clear cmos referring to the user manual and make go to bios to load optimized defaults.

Well I can run memtest86+ and windows just fine on 1333Mhz on triple channel not on 1600Mhz triple channel using XMP.

3.please format the disk with a clean system cd and meanwhile change another sata port to check;

Well I can run memtest86+ and windows just fine on 1333Mhz on triple channel not on 1600Mhz triple channel using XMP.

4.please update the bios as described in the first mail.

Have been using BIOS version v1.3b2 all this while.

Best regards,
MSI technical support team

Please advise.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:09 AM

POST ID # = 378284
Default Quoting Ramguy

Quote:
Q: How do you program the SPD of XMS parts?

A: Programming the SPD of our XMS parts is a bit problematic. The industry-standard specifications for the SPD values of XMS parts are often not yet defined by JEDEC (the appropriate standards organization) when the parts are introduced. In order to maintain compatibility with the multitudes of motherboards and BIOS revisions out there, the SPD values are programmed at the fastest available parameters defined by JEDEC. The SPD values are defined in the matrix below. Note, though, that in ALL CASES the Corsair part number (which contains the XMS speed grade) is programmed into the SPD as well.
http://www.corsair.com/configurator/...#other_modules

TR3X3G1600C9 DDR3-1600 (XMS3-12800C9*XMP*3CH) 3GB Kit (3 x 1GB) 1.65v 9-9-9-24-2T

Well this is what I have and it doesn't work at 1600Mhz using XMP.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Maestro99's PC Specs

POST ID # = 378412
Maestro99 Reputation: 10

Hi, In the Hexus.net review of the Eclipse motherboard from 11/27 they report the following :"It was also disappointing to discover that no matter what combination of BIOS settings were tried, we couldn't get the board to work with the memory running at DDR3-1,600 on our Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 CPU.“ Unfortunately they didn't elaborate as to whether they thought it was the fault of the board or the memory.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Legend's PC Specs

POST ID # = 378445
Legend Reputation: 10
Send a message via MSN to Legend Send a message via Yahoo to Legend

Which slots have you tried? I have the P6T Deluxe and in the first set of tri-channel slots it fails at 1600MHz...

Memory Configuration Tool

Old 12-01-2008, 10:22 PM

POST ID # = 378528
Default Haha..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro99 View Post
Hi, In the Hexus.net review of the Eclipse motherboard from 11/27 they report the following :"It was also disappointing to discover that no matter what combination of BIOS settings were tried, we couldn't get the board to work with the memory running at DDR3-1,600 on our Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 CPU.“ Unfortunately they didn't elaborate as to whether they thought it was the fault of the board or the memory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEXUS.net
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=16331&page=4
The board is very slow to complete POST sequence and it's easy to mistake this for a failure if you're not patient. Also when trying to run the Corsair DDR3-1,600 kit on this board and use XMP timings, the actual settings applied were both incorrect, when compared against the XMP profile entries, and also inconsistent. One session would often boot with different timings than another. This issue was not observed when setting memory timings via the SPD or even manually, though.

It was also disappointing to discover that no matter what combination of BIOS settings were tried, we couldn't get the board to work with the memory running at DDR3-1,600 on our Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 CPU.
AHHH.. Inconsistent XMP settings eh ? Makes a lot of sense now.. :P Glad to know its isn't my problem alone... Hear that Corsair ! MSI !
Thanks for the info Maestro99.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:43 PM

POST ID # = 378531
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekT View Post

Gave your advise about configuring it manually another thought yesterday night and was looking at settings on CPU-Z.. Hmmmm..
Quote:
XMP Profile
Frequency 800MHz (Ok multiplier set to 6)
CAS# Latency 9 (Found this)
RAS# to CAS# 9 (Found this)
RAS# Precharge 9 (Found this)
Tras 24 (Found this)
Trc 41 (Can't find it.)
Command Rate 2T (Set to 2N)
There were two settings that I didn't set before and that was the Command Rate and DIMM Voltage. Didn't know the correct command rate until then and for the DIMM Voltage, I guess it was too Winduzz of me to think 'Grey Off' meant uneditable and always left it on Auto. DOH!! '-' or '+' modifies the voltage DOH !!...

AND Guess what ! MSI Eclipse + Corsair TR3X3G1600C9 @1600MHz on triple channel boots Windows !!

Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Ran Memtest86+ 2.10 on the damn thing and went to sleep. Woke up this morning... Saw it been running for 4 hr 15 mins (Also realise how little I sleep daily these past few days..) 11 PASSES ! Zero errors at 1600Mhz !!

Props to DerekT for the advise that works..
No thanks for MSI and Corsair for buggy XMP Profiles...

Maybe I will post some of shots of the BIOS settings later.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:00 PM

POST ID # = 378534
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
Which slots have you tried? I have the P6T Deluxe and in the first set of tri-channel slots it fails at 1600MHz...
Ahhhh.. I think Intel did a number on us about this.. Gone are the days where you can put your DDR memory on any slot with Dual channel mode or not dual channel being the only penalty.

On my board there are 6 slots... And I noticed they are not labelled.. Maybe I missed it.. I don't know referred to the manual.

Slot No./Slot Name
1 DIMM_A1
2 DIMM_A0
3 DIMM_B1
4 DIMM_B0
5 DIMM_C1
6 DIMM_C0

The MSI stated when you are going to install RAM be it one of six, it must be in this order. DIMM_A0, DIMM_B0, DIMM_C0, DIMM_A1, DIMM_B1, DIMM_C1.

Strange eh ? You cannot install RAM in the A-C1 slots first...

Any try what I mention above.. Find the correct setting for 1600MHz settings from CPU-Z and then set them manually. Early adopters are the guinea pigs unfortunately.......

Old 12-02-2008, 01:48 AM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 378565
DerekT Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by syscev View Post
Early adopters are the guinea pigs unfortunately.......
This is why I await the Intel "tock" of the Nehalem. The second iteration die shrink of 32nm and CPU optimization. Should be all ironed out by then. Thanks for beta testing for me.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:17 AM

POST ID # = 379215
Default The reply from Corair Support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technical Support
Just run the tested settings set manually at Cas 9-9-9-24 at 1.8 Volts 2T Command Rate and hope for a new BIOS from the MB Maker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replied
Actually resolved the problem by setting manually at CAS 9-9-9-24 at 1.65Volts 2T Command Rate. The XMP Profile is bugged and just doesn't work. It passed memtest86 just fine.
Not sure if its stable enough for games. Is voltage 1.8V safe ? Intel and the motherboard maker kept insisting it be kept to 1.65V.
Ohhh ! they finally replied.
1.8Volts. Safe guys ? Kind of a vague message. Hehe... Though memtest86 is stable. Not sure whether it is stable enough for gaming. Notice farcry2 crashing to desktop often now.

There some rule saying the memory voltage should not be more then +0.5V of the Cpu Voltage ?

Old 12-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 379219
Wired Reputation: 32

QPI voltage, but yeah, shouldn't go above that .5v difference.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Tags
i7