The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Systems > CORSAIR ONE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2018, 10:51 AM

POST ID # = 987341
nox_uk Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnetting View Post
The noise you are mentioning is probably the power supply fan. Corsair SFX PSUs use 92mm rifle bearing fans as far as I'm aware and when they spin way up they make a rather unpleasant sound.

I need to do some more testing but I'm wondering if switching the direction of the PSU might help with the sound. They are currently setup so they are pulling air in from the back of the GPU which seems really constrained and really hot. Flipping them would pull air in from the radiator and outside of the case. Depending on how hot the radiator in that could be good or bad. Still it feels like pulling air in from the rad and outside the case would be better in general.

It sounds like v2 will address some of this with a new layout but presently that is all speculation as no official details have been revealed on a V2 despite Intel showing one off at a booth awhile back.
The cables are lengthed to perfection - rotating the psu 180 degrees would require the cables rotating too (and thus need to be a bit longer. Also the airflow to the back of the GPU would be reduced - it may be the way round it is for a good reason.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:44 PM

POST ID # = 987364
mnetting Reputation: 10

I have a different MLB, an Asrock Z390, in my one that I installed so some of my connectors are in different locations anyway. I removed the zip ties, re-routed, and added extensions where needed already. That may not be an option for everyone of course.

Airflow wise the fan on the PSU pulls air into the PSU they exhausts it out the back to my recollection. If that is correct there would be no airflow really happening on the back of the GPU. If it is reversed then it would be hot air exhausting to the back of the GPU so that might not be better.

It is certainly possible that Corsair already tested orientations and found the way they have it to be best but, and I don't mean to offend Corsair here, given some of the other gaps on the product and things around the product I'm not sure that happened. Would be interesting to know if that was in fact tested though if anyone from Corsair wants to chime in here.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:34 PM

POST ID # = 987706
mnetting Reputation: 10

I rotated the PSU this morning so the fan is facing the radiator instead of a cut out and the back of the GPU. Thus far initial testing has a huge decrease in fan noise on the PSU and almost no temperature change on the GPU. I will continue testing but I'm pretty happy so far.

The process was very easy as the screw holes all line up and the PSU extension cable for external power still bent and connected to the PSU without issue. As to the internal cables they all pretty much fit without issue. As I noted above I did remove some zip ties to reroute a few of my power cables since I have a different MLB but most of the ones I left are still fitting fine.

Next step is to remove the blower fan on the GPU and replace it with some 92mm Noctuas to go with the 140mm Noctua I have at the top of the case. Beyond that I might even replace all the radiators with fans as well and go full air cooling.

Update: I ended up taking my whole system apart, there is a new post with pictures on that actually, and putting an arctic accelero III cooler on the card. I've actually listed the case with radiators up on eBay for someone to pick up if they want just those bits without the rest of the system and I'm running the other bits on a test bench.

Last edited by mnetting; 03-08-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:46 AM

POST ID # = 996609
JakeM Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnetting View Post
I rotated the PSU this morning so the fan is facing the radiator instead of a cut out and the back of the GPU. Thus far initial testing has a huge decrease in fan noise on the PSU and almost no temperature change on the GPU. I will continue testing but I'm pretty happy so far.

The process was very easy as the screw holes all line up and the PSU extension cable for external power still bent and connected to the PSU without issue. As to the internal cables they all pretty much fit without issue. As I noted above I did remove some zip ties to reroute a few of my power cables since I have a different MLB but most of the ones I left are still fitting fine.

Next step is to remove the blower fan on the GPU and replace it with some 92mm Noctuas to go with the 140mm Noctua I have at the top of the case. Beyond that I might even replace all the radiators with fans as well and go full air cooling.
Did you manage the GPU blower fan replacement? I'm having issues with it, but Corsair support has taken to ignoring me outright lately, so I'm thinking I might just have to go ahead and replace it myself.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:02 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 996629
Corsair StormShadow Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
Did you manage the GPU blower fan replacement? I'm having issues with it, but Corsair support has taken to ignoring me outright lately, so I'm thinking I might just have to go ahead and replace it myself.
your ticket was responded to yesterday.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:21 PM

POST ID # = 996634
JakeM Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair StormShadow View Post
your ticket was responded to yesterday.
Saying 'thanks for telling us' then closing the ticket doesn't really constitute a response though.