The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2013, 10:07 PM
etx's PC Specs

POST ID # = 689660
etx Reputation: 10
Default Extreme X256 Drive Dead?

I've been using my X256 SSD in my iMac for a year or two. About a year ago it started showing issues, but I didn't realize it was related to the hard drive until now.

When the iMac goes to sleep and I wake it back up the OS would freeze and I would have to reset the computer. Then after a reboot it would usually not boot up and I would need to reset it a few times to get it to boot. Then it would be fine.

Fast forward to this week, the computer would randomly freeze. I would have to reboot a number of times and it might work to 5-10 minutes before it would lockup again.

Booting into recovery on the mac shows the drive in the Disk Utils for about 5 minutes, then it would disappear. I was never able to copy my data off before it went totally dead.

So, I removed the drive today to put it into my windows machine and try to update the firmware. On the PC it is not detected by the BIOS at all.

After searching google and this forum I see a lot of others are having issues with this drive. So many people I would consider this model to be defective entirely.

Is their anything I can try? I cannot afford a new hard drive right now.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:07 AM

POST ID # = 689689
Toasted Toasted Reputation: 108

If the SSD isn't detected in the BIOS, there isn't really much you can do. The Extreme Series SSD is very old. If you still have your proof of purchase for the SSD and it is within 3 years, request an RMA to replace the drive.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:33 AM

POST ID # = 689690
bogdan_kr Reputation: 20

You could try to check for BIOS update for your windows machine. I think there is a small chance that possible BIOS update would allow motherboard to see the drive.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:53 PM
etx's PC Specs

POST ID # = 689816
etx Reputation: 10

Updated the Bios to the latest version and still no love. If this is any indication of Corsairs reliability I'll never purchase another product from them. It's a real shame.