The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD) > SSD Firmware Update

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 02:25 PM
Conners's PC Specs

POST ID # = 640853
Conners Reputation: 25
Default Force GT 120 GB goes missing...

I have had this drive for about a year and a half and are using the latest firmware 5.03.

Recently when I use System Mechanic to optimize the drive it just hangs. (good idea?) Then on reboot it says something about missing OS. Reminder it has never done this until recently. In the bios it gone until I reload optimized defaults save then load my saved profile of 4.5GHz. Works fine till I use SM lol... One would think its SM but I also use it on an OCZ SSD without problems.

Ideas?

Old 03-18-2013, 05:28 AM

POST ID # = 640998
Toasted Toasted Reputation: 108

Once you reload your optimized defaults in the BIOS, the drive works fine?

Old 03-18-2013, 11:20 AM
Conners's PC Specs

POST ID # = 641061

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasted View Post
Once you reload your optimized defaults in the BIOS, the drive works fine?
That is correct...

BTW I noticed I posted this in the sub forum instead of the main forum for ssds...so if a moderator wants to move it I'm fine with that. Also I updated my PC Specs...

Last edited by Conners; 03-18-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Added update to PC Specs

Old 03-19-2013, 04:17 AM
rea1high's PC Specs

POST ID # = 641258
rea1high Reputation: 10

I used to have a similar problem but a firmware update fixed it. i'm not sure which firmware i'm running now, or what the latest is.
I wonder if reflashing the firmware might help

Old 03-19-2013, 06:27 AM

POST ID # = 641281

Do you have the latest BIOS installed?

Old 03-19-2013, 11:37 AM
Conners's PC Specs

POST ID # = 641336

Quote:
Originally Posted by rea1high View Post
I used to have a similar problem but a firmware update fixed it. i'm not sure which firmware i'm running now, or what the latest is.
I wonder if reflashing the firmware might help
Might give that a shot...

Quote:
Do you have the latest BIOS installed?
Yes I have the latest beta bios installed....F8j I might even go back to an earlier version to see if it sill does the disappearing act...

Old 03-20-2013, 06:04 AM

POST ID # = 641596

Contact the people who make System Mechanic and see if they know anything about it.

It doesn't sound like a problem with the SSD if it works fine after reloading the BIOS settings.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Conners's PC Specs

POST ID # = 641922

Quote:
Contact the people who make System Mechanic and see if they know anything about it.

It doesn't sound like a problem with the SSD if it works fine after reloading the BIOS settings.
I have contacted SM and they are looking into it from their side.

Also I was going to try out one of the suggestions on re-flashing the SSD, but when I run the update tool to scan drive it doesn't find it...Humm

I tried various versions of the Sniper3 bios with same results... I wonder if the 1.1 updater tool is still not compatible with Z77 boards, chipsets, seems like I read that somewhere on here. Well unless I was dreaming... But I could swear I used this same setup to update to the 5.03 firmware.

Last edited by Conners; 03-21-2013 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Added Bios Info

Old 03-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Conners's PC Specs

POST ID # = 641997

Solved! For some reason my chipset drivers must have been corrupted somehow. I deleted the Intel chip set driver under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers...rebooted and BOOM reinstall the drivers. The updater tool finally recognized the drive and SM then worked as normal...I could tell it was going to work as it took a little time to complete like it used to, instead of just zipping through it...

Last edited by Conners; 03-21-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Conners's PC Specs

POST ID # = 642125

I guess I spoke too soon, its broken again... Also SM did send me an updated version of the program but it doesn't make any difference.

So in recap I have:

Re-flashed the SSD using 5.03 firmware
Tried various Bios firmware
Installed newer version of SM from their suggestion.
Uninstalled Intel IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and reinstalled on reboot
Swapped SATA ports\cables

Now back to square one.

Last edited by Conners; 03-22-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:36 AM

POST ID # = 642310

This is optional,

Backup your data and secure erase the drive with Parted Magic, then install a clean version of Windows and SM. Try the optimize thing again and see if it happens again.

It doesn't really sound like a SSD issue, but if you would like the drive replaced, request an RMA to replace it.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Conners's PC Specs

POST ID # = 642356

Quote:
This is optional,

Backup your data and secure erase the drive with Parted Magic, then install a clean version of Windows and SM. Try the optimize thing again and see if it happens again.

It doesn't really sound like a SSD issue, but if you would like the drive replaced, request an RMA to replace it.
Yeah I thought about that option as the last resort before an RMA, but I don't want to RMA unless there is a problem with the drive. I did have a blue screen this morning of )xF4, I don't know what that is off hand though. Its weird the corsair updater v1.1 doesn't see the drive although the Bios, IRST, Windows disk manager, SM, and other program that detects drives see it. Until I run SM and or now I tried SSD Tweaker and the same thing happens. No sure as to why at this point.

But I may just have to do as you've suggested just to see if it makes a difference...

Oh yeah the exact error is: Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert boot media selected boot device and press a key.

Last edited by Conners; 03-23-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Conners's PC Specs

POST ID # = 642444

Ok hopefully the final scoop on this. [soapbox] I was glad it wasn't the drive it's self and that I didn't RMA a good drive just to RMA a drive. It costs us enough for a drive without un-necessary RMA costs...driving up costs for the rest of us.[/soapbox]

Ok so I was right the 1st time but failed to fill in blank to understand till now. The problem for me was the iRST driver of Series/216 Serial ATA installed by the previous mentioned program.

Now if I went to device manager and selected under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers the Intel Series/216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI controller\ properties\update driver\browse my computer\let me pick from a list of device drivers\ and then choose\Standard ACHI 1.0 Serial Controller.

Doing that all works as it should. Please note the iRST drivers conflicted with my MB somehow... So I just uninstalled the iRST after this as it would not work without the driver it installed anyway.

I did install a chipset driver from GB...which was a C216 - 1E02 SATA Controller and all works well. Just seems like Intel's iRST doesn't play well with a non Intel SSD.

Last edited by Conners; 03-23-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:55 AM

POST ID # = 642646
janos666 Reputation: 10

I don't think it's directly related to System Magic. I didn't even hear about that software until now. But I had a similar problem. One day I just started to get "No operation system found" on almost every cold boot (a simple reboot without long power off went fine). I had to turn the pewer OFF and ON again on my (Corsair ) PSU and let the motherboard to try again. (It was usually successful at the second time).

I updated my motherboard firmware (UEFI is not a BIOS anymore ) and I also had to reinstall the OS (Win8 x64 from the same disk again) and the problem just stopped.

I was lazy to search for the source of this problem. But it's seems it was an IRST update I installed and I just updated again when I reinstalled the OS.
-> Conners -> It looks like there was a bad IRST version. I didn't have any problem with older and newer versions. You shouldn't think it's wrong overall.

Last edited by janos666; 03-25-2013 at 12:59 AM.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:15 PM
Conners's PC Specs

POST ID # = 642836

After a little trial and error with my system It seems like if I use iRTS of 11.0.0.1032 dated 11/29/11 all works fine. But if I use iRTS 11.6.0.1032 dated 9/1/12... I can't use the Corsair FW updater, SM SSD optimize tool nor the SSD tweaker without problems... This is just my experience...

G/L ALL BTW thanks for the reply janos666