The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 62 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 11:22 PM
aTs's PC Specs

POST ID # = 612741
aTs Reputation: 10

Hey,

Well I doubt that's the motherboard, due to the fact that in the last video I tested it without the motherboard, where you can clearly see that no cables are attached. I also tried it without the UPS... also when I tried it with the UPS I said in a previous post that I've also swapped 4 different power supplies to check if the UPS was at fault, the only one that made that noise in that annoying high level was your power supply; heck I even tried it in an another room (that had a different circuit)... and got the same buzzing noise.

I am at loss here...

Old 11-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 613032
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

It will have to have a small load on the PSU but as I suggested let's proceed with the replacement

Old 11-14-2012, 05:19 AM
aTs's PC Specs

POST ID # = 613395

I sent you a pm RamGuy, pleas view it!

Old 11-14-2012, 07:29 AM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 613405

Quote:
Originally Posted by aTs View Post
I sent you a pm RamGuy, pleas view it!
I'm sorry but I have PMs blocked as that would defeat the purpose of the forum, so you should have gotten a message stating that it did not go through.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:14 PM
aTs's PC Specs

POST ID # = 614578

Hi,

It was actually an email; but got this sorted out with your customer support. Will post when the unit is received and tested. If you want for comparison I can upload video and data using an RMS ATX power supply loader... (I've got some lying around in my university's office) as well as videos of the other 4 power supplies that I tested, namely these are the following:

* Enermax Pro 82+ 625W (EPR625AWT)
* Tagan 1300W Piperock Series 1300W
* FSP-GROUP 400W (FSP350-60THN-P)
* Thermaltake ToughPower 1500W (although I borrowed this PSU, I no longer have it)

No noticeable buzz was heard, with/without UPS; and on/off UPS battery. I can't take any more measurements using your PSU as I've packaged it for sending it back; I'll get back to you when I receive the replacement unit.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 615129

Please let me know the RMA# so I can have the unit tested in our LAB.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:45 AM
aTs's PC Specs

POST ID # = 615192

Hey,

The RMA number that was assigned to my case is the following: #5215187. Also could you please let me know what happened (or what was wrong with the unit) if you are allowed to do so... as I am quite curious as well.

Thanks in advance...

Old 12-01-2012, 03:48 PM
aTs's PC Specs

POST ID # = 616966

Any updates on the PSU?

Old 12-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 617371

I have customer service working on this and will let you know when they notify me we have it.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:40 PM
aTs's PC Specs

POST ID # = 618043

Hi RAMGuy,

I am probably the unluckiest person in the world! The replacement unit arrived today... after much anticipation, well the good news is that the unit is dead silent when it comes to buzzing... but this unit does a sound of a "murmur" which is again quite loud and has nothing to do with the kind of noise the previous one did... needless to say is VERY annoying...

This sound is not affected if I turn the UPS battery on/off so I am guessing they are completely different problems. The setup is the same as before and the PSU I had never showed any such noises (buzzing or murmur's).

The replacement PSU I temporarily had was the Enermax Pro 82+ 625W (EPR625AWT). I've uploaded a YouTube video again showing this sound... could you please tell me what to do next? That sound is periodic in nature (at least that's what I think!) and it's quite distinct from the fan noise, so I don't think you will have a hard time noticing it.

The video showing the murmur: http://youtu.be/ypLLUUX_ZeQ

Let me know what you think,

Thanks again!

PS: I've spend 5 hours today trying to figure out if there is a solution to this murmur... changed cables (tried all the cables inside the pouch), changed wall outlet, changed room, UPS battery on/off, with/without UPS, change power settings... nothing. Although the one thing I could find is that during load the period of the murmur sound gets much smaller...but the pitch remains the same... as far as my ears can tell of course.

PS2: The sound has nothing to do with the PSU fan at all... most of the time (and during video recording) is turned off, not spinning at all.

Last edited by aTs; 12-06-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: clarification.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 618074

The Video is not conclusive that this sound you have described is cumming from the PSU. I hear a wiring sound that sounds more like a harmonic sound from two or more fans resonating. To be sure it is not from your fans can you turn off all the fans and try it again? Or as many as you can with out risk of damaging the system?

Last edited by RAM GUY; 12-06-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:34 PM
aTs's PC Specs

POST ID # = 618098

Well,

This sound was heard just after I installed the PSU and powered up my system, it wasn't there before (I am not that crazy!). But I tried disabling all the fans that were not plugged in your H100 (I have 3 fans runs running out of it). I sure can try recording it again... with the fans off just to show you this but I am sure I would have picked it if it was fan related; if you can't take my word for it then, sure I'll record it again.

Let me know.

Last edited by aTs; 12-06-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 618107

Your word is the not the issue here so please dont take it that way.
I am merely making suggestions to isolate the sound, to be more sure of the issue...
And I would get the system making that sound and unplug the fans to the H100 to be sure its not from the fans it will not hurt it. If it continues please contact our customer service with your previous RMA# and we will take care of you or let me know and I will have them replace it at our expense.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 12-06-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:37 PM
aTs's PC Specs

POST ID # = 618116

Hey,

No! No! I didn't take it badly! You are being very, very helpful. I'll unplug all the fans I can and re-capture the video right now; it should not take that long. I'll update this post when I do with a link to the video as well.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, my upload is horrid... and I have first to upload something for work... once I get it up I'll upload the video on YouTube... Sorry for that!

Last edited by aTs; 12-06-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:31 AM
aTs's PC Specs

POST ID # = 618209

Sorry got hold up at work!

I just managed to upload the video, with (as it's description says) almost all fans turned off. The resonating murmur can now heard even better, this is coming from the PSU... here is the link: http://youtu.be/6JfJl1WFx-Y

Finally I personally guarantee that all my other components work as they should and nothing is wrong with them... since when I swap the PSU with the Enermax I had before this sound is not present... (I can get that on tape as well if you'd like!)

Let me know what you think,

Cheers.

Tags
ax100i, buzz, buzzing, noise