The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Enthusiasts Section > Gaming Enthusiasts Area

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-24-2015, 11:04 AM
Newbie PC Builder/Gamer
Flech's PC Specs

POST ID # = 780916
Flech Reputation: 10
Default Upgraded system, downgraded performance

Hi all,

I built my first system about 3 months ago, first foray int the PC world, and I loved it, it was based around an i5 4690k, MSI z87 Mpower, GTX 970 & 16 gb corsair vengence pro 2133.

After some great gaming moments I decided to look for something a bit beefier, maybe I shouldn't have bothered.

Got myself an MSI X99S SLI plus board with an Intel 5820K processor and 16gb of corsair DDR4 memory. I put it all together in my existing corsair case and reused my samsung 850 evo SSD and corsair cx750 psu (which I think may have an issue, see my other post today).

Got it all booted up and after some recurring issues where the system would power up and keep resetting itself I finally got it stable and loaded up Arma 3 for a comparison against my i5 system and did I get a shock.

My i5 rig would quite happily get me up to a max of 60fps and never drop below 40 but this new i7 is struggling to keep the game at 45fps.

I know that the standard clock speed is slower than the i5 (3.5 - 3.7ghz compared to the i7's 3.3 - 3.5ghz) but I would have expected at least a similar performance.

Benchmarks rate the i7 system higher overall, for some reason the GTX 970 scored lower in the i7 system than the i5 though.

I have clean installed Windows 8.1 and all of the drivers, especially the gfx card but this has made no difference.

HELP!!!