The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 569645
Wired Reputation: 32

It's guaranteed to work with a standard AMD setup, but whose fault is it if Dell veers off of that standard?
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 03-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 569972
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

And we all know Dell would never do anything that was not standard or industry accepted right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post
It's guaranteed to work with a standard AMD setup, but whose fault is it if Dell veers off of that standard?

Old 03-31-2012, 08:41 PM

POST ID # = 570100
nweissma Reputation: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to nweissma

Dammit: you make it sound like a crapshoot! i am damn angry with rma's -- firstly, the return postage can be considerable; secondly, they are often a damn lot of trouble to re-package and bring to the post office; and thirdly, they look bad on your account ... this isn't the old ladies' 'home shopping club'!

but dell's 'system specific' is double your price : 4 x 4gb @ $30/4gb = $120 versus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233190 = $70 .. ... but i don't want Dell's deviation from the industry standard to force me to rma.

and why does Dell deviate from the standard -- is Dell's decision technically based, or is it a marketing ploy?

there's no reason for a simple ram purchase to be so laden with trepidation; i am not a businessman: i am not being paid to make tortuous decisions!

notwithstanding that the choice is a crapshoot, do you, RG, favor my ram candidate for the optiplex 580 [ http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1112111 ], or do you suggest something else? what irks me is that Corsair's ram is CL9 , whereas the 1 x 2gb that dell shipped is CL7.

Last edited by nweissma; 03-31-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:02 AM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 570133
peanutz94 Reputation: 84

Quote:
Dammit: you make it sound like a crapshoot!
When it comes to OEM systems , it is a total crapshoot sometimes. The only one to blame here is DELL! They are the one's who deviate from industry wide standards the most. Compared to HP, and many others.

Quote:
but dell's 'system specific' is double your price : 4 x 4gb @ $30/4gb = $120 versus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233190 = $70 .. ... but i don't want Dell's deviation from the industry standard to force me to rma.
Again, there really isn't much you can do. It is both a marketing ploy as well as technically based. Technically based because you are ftrying to force you to go to them for service and or repairs. And marketing so you have to purchase upgrade parts from them. As you have found out the DELL branded parts are twice the price for less than half the capacity!
Quote:
there's no reason for a simple ram purchase to be so laden with trepidation; i am not a businessman: i am not being paid to make tortuous decisions!
Even so, it's important to really research any upgrade with any system. And any OEM system is going to be limited in when it comes to upgrades.

Something else to keep in mind is that with large capacity memory kits it may be neccessay to adjust certain system voltages and sadly the BIOS in your Dell would not have these options. This is another reason you should purchase your memory from DELL. If they say it will work i,and it does not, it's on them.
What i mean by large capacity would be kits , say,over say 8gigs and above. And even sometimes at 8 gigs it is necessary to increase certain system voltages and or timings. Without the ability to adjust the BIOS settings any thing you put in there will default to the slowest speed anyway! Thee is also the possibility that your system will not recognize all 16 gigs of the kit you are looking at without the ability to change BIOS settings.

Your OS (winVista 32 or win7 32bit) will not recognize anything over 3.25gigs anyway. That is a limitation of 32 bit windows. You would have to move to a 64bit version of windows to recognize anything more than 3.25gigs. Even then it has to be an OS higher that Windows 7 basic or Vista basic. Win7 64bit home,pro, or better & Win Vista 64 home, pro, or better would be needed to recognize more than 4 gig's

Quote:
what irks me is that Corsair's ram is CL9 , whereas the 1 x 2gb that dell shipped is CL7.
CL is not all that makes memory faster than another. For example a 16 gig kit at CL8 may actually perform better tha fewer gigs at a lower CL. It all depends on what you use your system for. If you are just using "offfice" type of programs than CL wont matter much. But for gaming where you need faster response the lower cl would be a better choice. But again, since your system is not listed there is no way to guarantee they will work and potentially another RMA! Just more to consider.

nweissma, i really do understand your frustration. Like i stated earlier in this thread i have owned several DELL systems. I got tired of being limited as far as upgrade paths go and tired of being charged WAY TO MUCH money . So i started reading everything i could and learned to build my own computers. It makes choices like the one you are facing right now, a whole lot easier when you use standard components!

Last edited by peanutz94; 04-03-2012 at 06:06 AM. Reason: I'm only 3 sips of coffee into the morning!!!! Better move the pot into the living room!

Old 04-01-2012, 06:51 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 570139

Using third party components will not and cannot void your warranty. Worst case they'll ask you to remove the parts, that's all.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group

Old 04-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 570151

Quote:
Using third party components will not and cannot void your warranty. Worst case they'll ask you to remove the parts, that's all.
Been there done that Wired. I've had them tell me using third party components will void your warranty . At least that were not purchased from DELL. They never once asked me to remove them either. Just a flat out refusal to help once the original configuration was changed, they voided the warranty on the spot. . That was the last phone call i ever made to DELL support.

Same goes for OS's...

Last edited by peanutz94; 04-01-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 570178

You were talking to a moron. I used to work at Dell, and I know for a fact that it can't void your warranty. Their internal policy doesn't stop you, and there are laws in place to prevent them from saying that as well.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 570382

This is covered under the Magnuson-Moss Act and would be a clear violation of that law.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:49 AM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 570429

Quote:
You were talking to a moron.
C'mon now, we cant limit to just one. There were many!
Quote:
This is covered under the Magnuson-Moss Act and would be a clear violation of that law.
I wish i would have known that back then. But in the long run i guess i can thank them for opening my eyes and not buying their products anymore!

Anyway, i'll edit my post so it does not have that incorrect information.

Last edited by peanutz94; 04-03-2012 at 06:02 AM.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:27 PM

POST ID # = 570488
nweissma Reputation: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to nweissma

RG: firstly, YOU never weighed in on my questions; in particular, what do you think of my choice of Corsair ram for the optiplex 580 (links noted above) -- assume 64-bit, regardless of peanutz's assumption -- and why does Dell deviate from industry standards

secondly, i am a skilled paralegal; while i am not familiar with the magnuson-moss act, i will tell you that you should not depend too heavily on it -- especially since you have had no exposure to the law arena and therefore you will most likely give it an erroneous interpretation: i won't take legal advice from you anymore than i will accept medical advice from you -- and you shouldn't accept legal or medical advice from you either. ask a (competent) lawyer -- my admonition will be confirmed.

[i did not reply sooner because my display suddenly went dead -- troubleshooting was a pita. fyi ..]

Last edited by nweissma; 04-03-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 570501

nweissma,
I am sorry but I did indirectly and yes you are correct I did not directly answer your questions because I cannot No one can the way it was asked. if you want a guaranteed part for your DELL then I am sorry you have to go to Dell and purchase it directly from them. Our memory has a lifetime warranty and should work in any qualified system, and should they fail we will replace them. However, warranty does not cover compatibility and why I suggested if you decide to try the memory I would just make sure of the resellers return policy in case they do not work. And I am sorry but at this time we would not offer memory that would be compatible with your system. The slowest 16 Gig set we offer at this time is DDR1600 which your system will not support. However if you want 8 Gig and will replace the current memory CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 should work but only one set. And they will likely run at DDR1066.

Tags
"system specific", certified