Corsair Community

NEW Keyboard keeps "Freezing"

ckhayat

I recently (received 1 week ago) bought a K95 RGB Platinum Keyboard on Amazon that was bundled with the MM800 RGB Polaris. At this time I also purchased a Scimitar Pro RGB Mouse. After only a couple of days with the new peripherals, the keyboard started to "freeze" as it seems to be called, especially when playing games. ALL keys/buttons on the keyboard stop working entirely. The lights do not go off, but they do freeze (stop changing/moving/rotating/flashing). The mouse and mousepad have zero problems and never go out. To fix the keyboard I need to unplug the USB and plug it back in. The only fixes for a few minutes though. I have tried using every USB slot I have (2.0, 3.0, powered 3.0 USB hubs) and nothing changes. I have updated all drivers, windows, the firmware (through iCUE), iCUE, and pretty much everything else I could think of. I have done a soft reset on the keyboard. This did not fix it. On iCUE, the keyboard picture will get a red triangle on it when the board freezes. It will then eventually disappear altogether.

After some testing and messing around, I have noticed that I can go longer without freezing if the keyboard is using a static light (such as instant lighting). As soon as I switch to a dynamic light setting it freezes. If Computer is shutdown the keyboard does not reset or shut off. It will stay lit and frozen until I unplug the USB.

I have also tried plugging the keyboard (w/ and w/o the powered usb hub) into my laptop and it freezes there also.

ANY help welcome!

Edited by ckhayat
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

Your post exactly describes my situation. You are the first post I have found in hours of searching that perfectly matches my issue.

The only Corsair peripheral I am using is the K95 keyboard, recently purchased.

I don't know what to do. I have tried updating USB drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling relevant drivers to keyboard, switching to different USB ports, removing all other USB peripherals to the bare minimum, updating firmware, updating ICUE software, not having ICUE software start at system start up. I am sure I did more than this too.

Is this keyboard defective? Is this a known quality defect, Corsair? Do I need to RMA it? This keyboard is not reliable or usable in its current state. Sure looks nice and responds well when it doesn't completely lock up, which it does far too frequently.

Please tell us what we can do to fix this issue. I have tried almost everything to stop this problem. I even has 2 Keyboards hooked up and when the K95 fails. The other KB is still working. Everything in that is using the USB ports are still working fine - just the KB dies. :[pouts:

• Corsair Employee

It sounds like the iCUE connection is timing out for whatever reason. I can think of 2 reasons:

1. USB power is dropping for whatever reason. Make sure that the USBs don't have power saving settings on like USB selective Suspend.

2. There's too much lighting information going for the computer to keep up with all the products. Try turning down the polling rate for the keyboard to "4". You can change polling rate in the Settings options of iCUE.

Also, make sure that disconnecting another USB device doesn't correct the issue as well.

Calico Jack,

It is not timing out - happens as fast as 2 sec. - I have it hooked to 2.0 and 3.0 USB and it still does and the mouse and Mic. on same line work fine. Windows Drops it the connection on BOTH my computers that I have used it on. I get warnings that Win 10 does not recognize the USB item Then sometimes it says it loaded the K95 KB. as a good device. I have Also tried it solo on the line so it is not duie to the mouse or mic. being on the USB port. IT IS THE KEYBOARD SOFTWARE ISSUE - PLEASE FIX IT

Calico Jack,

It is not timing out - happens as fast as 2 sec. - I have it hooked to 2.0 and 3.0 USB and it still does and the mouse and Mic. on same line work fine. Windows Drops it the connection on BOTH my computers that I have used it on. I get warnings that Win 10 does not recognize the USB item Then sometimes it says it loaded the K95 KB. as a good device. I have Also tried it solo on the line so it is not duie to the mouse or mic. being on the USB port. IT IS THE KEYBOARD SOFTWARE ISSUE - PLEASE FIX IT

im gettin the same with my scimitar pro after only owning it for like 8 months i have done everything soft/hard reset (hard reset wont drop its original firmware) even resetting my ****ing pc loosing so much ****ing data all because corsair is a sub par product SOOOO many people i talk to say they have had nothing but problems. If RMAing my mouse will be to much stress ill upload the video of me destroying it with a ****ing hammer im loosing my **** 2 weeks of talking to a automated response ticket is driving me nuts.

• 2 weeks later...
Calico Jack,

Hey I see you got the usual "It isn't our fault" welcome to the forums.

Seeing as it is happening on two different machines I think it's safe to say that the issue is NOT (sorry Jack but you need to work on the blame game a bit here) with your computer. And with all the issues with ICue as of late I cannot say that I am surprised. I keep seeing all the OTHER issues people are having and am just waiting for one of them to rear it's ugly little head after the BS that I have been through with Corsair.

That said, seeing as the agreement with them has still not been fulfilled to completion, it is becoming rather hard to keep my mouth shut about what went down. If terms are presented and accepted with no changes, then terms need to be followed. Feel free to move this up the chain to whoever Jack. Because while I am not having issues anymore the problem isn't with the hardware, it is with the fact that stuff that was bought in the previous system had the warranties intact. That was a condition in the terms. I have honored mine, how about you guys finish honoring what was agreed to, or would you like proof?

And I am putting that here as it has been a month, and what is missing? Paperwork. For the warranties.

Edited by Waukeen

• 1 month later...

Having the same freezing issues with k95 I just bought from Amazon. The keyboard will randomly freeze and become unresponsive to any keystrokes. The RGB will freeze on. Do remedy I have to unplug keyboard and plug it back in. I have found if I turn the brightness all the way to 0% in icue it will not freeze. I've tried every USB port on my computer and I even bought a powered USB hub to see if it was a low voltage issue. The problem still persists. I have uninstalled icue and removed all the profiles, I have Force updated the firmware, I've deleted all of the keyboard profiles in icue. Nothing works except for turning off the RGB brightness

I'm using a Corsair 850i power supply which according to the software is only using 240 Watts, I am running the commander Pro to control my ll120 fans and the lightning node.

Edited by Ciebien

Usb 2, 3 and 3.1. I exchanged on Amazon and the new keyboard works. So it's either a defective keyboard or the new bios. I didn't change anything and icue simply unplugged and plugged the new one back in. I didn't Flash the new firmware. Does anyone know if I can download and install older firmware manually after I auto update it with the newest version?

Usb 2, 3 and 3.1. I exchanged on Amazon and the new keyboard works. So it's either a defective keyboard or the new bios. I didn't change anything and icue simply unplugged and plugged the new one back in. I didn't Flash the new firmware. Does anyone know if I can download and install older firmware manually after I auto update it with the newest version?

You didn't tell me if you are using 1 port or two. For example, if you use 2 plugs, and using usb3, then you are supplying too much power. You should only use 1 plug on usb3. The 2 plugs are for USB2 only.

That's not correct. The 2nd plug is usb pass through. It also says in the manual to connect keyboard to USB 3.0, and pass through to a USB 2 or 3 plug but I 8magine it's only a USB 2 pass through even if connected to a 3 Edited by Ciebien

So far ... the only one thing which works (by passing reinstalling, new drivers, BS - ESC soft reset, new bios, external HUB with power supply etc) is changing the RGB on my K95 to "STATIC COLOR"

I'll retest later on for some longer term and relaunch those fancy color RGB effects and will get a result, but once I've changed to STATIC COLOR ... OMG - rock solid stability (3rd hour and nothing happens - wow).

• 2 weeks later...
I exchanged my keyboard on Amazon and the new one works. So it was either a a faulty keyboard or B the firmware since I didn't update the keyboard since I bought it I'm kind of afraid to now. So my advice would be to downgrade your firmware on your keyboard to stock

Well, I completely change my system a few months ago and still I'm getting the same freezing issue. Got a new motherboard (ASUS ROG Strix Z390), new processor (i7 8700k), new PSU (Corsair RM750i), new everything and got the freezing after two weeks of using k95 platinum in my new system.

It's pity. I even just bought a Dual-Port USB 3.1 Card - 10Gbps per port - 2x USB-A - PCIe from StarTech (updated drivers, chipset, bios, everything) and got the freezing just couple minutes ago when I was gaming.

At this point I really regret having bought this keyboard a year ago. In other system there's a Strage RGB MK.2 keyboard that has never had this issue, perhaps that's the actual high end keboard that should be adverted instead of this total trash k95 that only allows you to sink your money.

[Posted this in a thread that supposedly had a solution ( https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=138820 ) but since I'm looking here the discussion is more recent, I'm posting here]

Well considering when I replace my keyboard my issue was fixed it's one of two things. Faulty keyboard OR faulty firmware. When I replace the keyboard I didn't update the keyboard firmware and I still haven't updated it and I don't have the issue anymore. Maybe write corsair and ask for firmware that ships with keyboard

I also have the z390 asus rog strix - h mobo, i7 8700k, and the 750i.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found if I keep my k95 platinum in the min brigthness it never freezes no matter how longer my system stays on (one, two, three days).

Strange isn't it?

There was a new iCUE update few days ago. I'll give it a try at max brightness next days see if my keyboard freezes (my custom light is very complex). It's just I'm a bit afraid to start getting the freezes as well when I'm at the minimun and my lucky to runs out.

• 4 weeks later...

edit: sorry, fix failed. I think I found another fix though, but this fix is for the keyboard volume scroll wheel freezing up as you use it, which subsequently also causes the entire keyboard to freeze up, so not sure if it applies here. Anyway, here's the link with the updates: https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=167998.

ok I think this fix works, courtesy of Corsair email support, cant believe nobody has reported on this fix considering how long this problem has been around for:

"Google Chrome has a driver that takes control of our media keys, preventing them from being used with Desktop apps while Chrome is open. To fix this issue:

- Head to ‘Chrome://Flags

- Locate Hardware ‘Media Key Handling’

-From the drop down set to ‘Disable’

If this didn't help please do let us know."

Now, Im spamming the volume wheel up and down like a madman for a couple minutes and so far 0 keyboard freezes. Im gonna try it over a couple weeks to be 100% certain. WIll update if this problem recurs!

Edited by gboy