Corsair Community

Need help. 9 QL120 RGB setup

ejaimes27

I have 9 Corsair QL120 fans in the Lian li dynamic case. 3 of these fans are for the AIO H150i. I’m connecting these to two of the new RGB HUB that come with the QL fans and the commander pro. I’m just confused on the setup process.

Currently I have the 9 RGB cables plugged into the RGB HUB and the AIO PWM fan cables connected to the AIO plugs themselves. The other 6 PWM fans plugged into the command node. The two RGB HUBs are plugged into the USB port of the commander pro. Then the command pro plugs into the usb 2.0 header of the MoBo.

Am I missing something?

I'm new here (my first post), but I also have that case and am trying to connect more than 6 QL120 fans. However, your post doesn't say what issue you are having. Does it work for you? What are we missing about your question?

The reason why I joined this forum is because I really love this system, but am trying to figure out if / how I can make more than 6 QL120 fans be part of the same lighting sequence. I need 9 fans on the same lighting sequence, since I have 3 PC's (tower of towers), and want them all to be synchronized. Is this possible?

Obviously, I should have combined all 3 of these posts into 1, but maybe I'm benefiting the OP by bumping his thread. :)

I have 2 RGB hubs, and have added them both to iCUE. I just haven't figured out how to create a sort of virtual hub that combines the 2 physical hubs, so that I can have more than 6 fans in 1 lighting sequence.

Hopefully this is possible, so that I can live without a 9 QL fan shaped hole in my heart.

I have 9 Corsair QL120 fans in the Lian Li dynamic case. 3 of these fans are for the AIO H150i. I’m connecting these to two of the new RGB HUB that come with the QL fans and the commander pro. I’m just confused on the setup process.

Currently I have the 9 RGB cables plugged into the RGB HUB and the AIO PWM fan cables connected to the AIO plugs themselves. The other 6 PWM fans plugged into the command node. The two RGB HUBs are plugged into the USB port of the commander pro. Then the command pro plugs into the usb 2.0 header of the MoBo.

Am I missing something?

It doesn't look like it. Is there an issue? Don't forget to do your "Lighting Set-up" once you get CUE up and running. You must designate the fan configuration for the two Lighting Node Core devices (or RGB Hub + Commander). On a XL, it is likely you went with 6 + 3 on the two controllers, so QL x 6 and QL x 3 in the set-up tab.

The reason why I joined this forum is because I really love this system, but am trying to figure out if / how I can make more than 6 QL120 fans be part of the same lighting sequence. I need 9 fans on the same lighting sequence, since I have 3 PC's (tower of towers), and want them all to be synchronized. Is this possible?

Not freely. There are 3rd party adapters that will allow you to clone a Lighting Hub for duplicate the signal for a pair of RGB fans, but the current load for 9 QL is going to be too much for any one controller. You will need to split them in some logical grouping.

There are some general ways to link devices together. The Lighting Link presets will go from one device to another, but only two of them are moving patterns (visor and color wave). It's pretty normal to want to run light waves from one end to the other when you first put it together. You'll have to see if that is still of interest down the line. Having run both a O11D and XL, I find that it gets a bit lengthy in terms of lighting time on a 34 LED fan when you link 12 of them up.

You situation sounds somewhat unique with LED sets in physically different places. However, don't forget you can designate any RGB controller group in smaller groups too. So if you have an O11 with 3 QL top and 3 QL bottom, you don't have to make them to go 1-6. You can do a pattern 1-3 and a matching pattern 4-6 that move in sequence, same direction, opposite directions, or whatever is needed. I won't say the programming is easy, but remember all it's doing is counting out LEDs. It will treat the QL like a base 16 unit duplicated on both sides of the fan. The more and more time I spend programming the QLs, I find I keep breaking my old LL patterns down in groups of 3 for the three banks of 3x120.

Now, it is possible through programming to make a wave pass from fan 1-6, then 7-9, then 10-12, all on different controllers. It will be a pain. You need to program a wave with a delay that matches the length of time it takes for the prior waves to run. This is fairly difficult to get nailed down and will require a lot of experimenting to get the timing just right. If you need to 'reset the clock', select a different profile then click right back to what you are working on. That puts the lighting clock back at zero, although CUE is much better about doing this than it used to be.

Edited by c-attack