Corsair Community

LED Fan direct hookup to motherboard possible?

Hi,

I have a Gigabyte Auros Master Z390 motherboard which has for LED ports for light strip hookups. Two are 12V digital RGB 4pin connectors and the other two are 5V/12V selectible LED 4pin connectors. So was wondering would any of the corsair LED or RGB fans be compatible or would I need to use the corsair command module?

Thank you

You would need to use a Lighting Node Pro and an RGB Fan Hub. Depending on the connector - and I think that Gigabyte's z390 boards are using the same connector as Asus and MSI - it should be possible to get an adapter to control the RGB Fan Hub. I can tell you that Gigabyte's software doesn't do anywhere near what you can do with iCUE tho.

That is correct.

Keep in mind, too, that Corsair came out with their addressable RGB system well before any of the motherboard manufacturers were including addressable RGB on motherboards, too.

My MSI Z390 motherboard comes with a JCORSAIR jumper (3pin), which I was hoping to connect directly to the 140LL fan (4pin). However now I read that the Corsair controller is required.

Do you think it's possible to wire up a 4pin to 3pin connector and plug the 140LL fan directly to the motherboard?

I know the 3pin is 5V/Data/Ground.

What about the 4pin from LL140 Fan? 5V/Data/unused/Ground ??

My MSI Z390 motherboard comes with a JCORSAIR jumper (3pin), which I was hoping to connect directly to the 140LL fan (4pin). However now I read that the Corsair controller is required.

Do you think it's possible to wire up a 4pin to 3pin connector and plug the 140LL fan directly to the motherboard?

I know the 3pin is 5V/Data/Ground.

What about the 4pin from LL140 Fan? 5V/Data/unused/Ground ??

The 4pin RGB is 12V analog RGB. If you hook your LL fan up to that in some way, you'll blow out your LEDs. Don't do it.

It would be possible to control a single fan with the correct adapter. I've already built adapters that go from Corsair => Aura style. The reverse would also be possible.

The 4pin RGB is 12V analog RGB. If you hook your LL fan up to that in some way, you'll blow out your LEDs. Don't do it.

It would be possible to control a single fan with the correct adapter. I've already built adapters that go from Corsair => Aura style. The reverse would also be possible.

The same motherboard also comes with 2x 4-pin RGB Jumpers (JRGB), which are 12V, would the Corsair LL140 fan work with that instead?

The same motherboard also comes with 2x 4-pin RGB Jumpers (JRGB), which are 12V, would the Corsair LL140 fan work with that instead?

As I said earlier:

There's no way to hook it directly into your motherboard's RGB ports without an adapter. Period. And the only supported method is to use a Lighting Node Pro/Commander Pro and an RGB Fan Hub.

Check out the RGB FAQ at http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880 too.

As I said earlier:

There's no way to hook it directly into your motherboard's RGB ports without an adapter. Period. And the only supported method is to use a Lighting Node Pro/Commander Pro and an RGB Fan Hub.

Check out the RGB FAQ at http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880 too.

so the 4pin connector (for LED) from the LL140 is 5V.

Do we know the pin out for that? 5V/ ? / ? / Ground

Well, guess what, I managed to hack the connectors to power the LED lighting of the Corsair LL140 RGB fan by connecting directly with the JCORSAIR jumper (from the MSI Z390 Gaming Pro mobo).

I am able to control the LL140 ARGB LEDs using MSI Mystic Lights now

Using the 3pin-3pin connector (provided with MSI Motherboard for connecting to the Corsair Lighting Hub), I connected the pins to the LED connector of the LL140 fan as follows:

Upper connector (from JCORSAIR): 5V / Data Out / Ground

Lower connector (from Corsair LL140): 5V / Data Out (Unused) / Data In / Ground

Du1zJyuV4AAI2A5.jpg

Yup, that's the correct pinout for the fans. I didn't see this earlier so I apologize for that.

No worries.

So if you only have 1 Corsair fan, and have a MSI mobo with JCORSAIR jumper (or equivalent from other brands), you can connect up the fan LED directly without LNP/LCP.

Of coz if you want more control of the lighting pattern, then LNP/LCP is still needed together with iCue ;)

MSI Mystic Lights does a decent job with the Rainbow light patterns so i'm good :)

• 1 year later...
Well, guess what, I managed to hack the connectors to power the LED lighting of the Corsair LL140 RGB fan by connecting directly with the JCORSAIR jumper (from the MSI Z390 Gaming Pro mobo).

I am able to control the LL140 ARGB LEDs using MSI Mystic Lights now

Using the 3pin-3pin connector (provided with MSI Motherboard for connecting to the Corsair Lighting Hub), I connected the pins to the LED connector of the LL140 fan as follows:

Upper connector (from JCORSAIR): 5V / Data Out / Ground

Lower connector (from Corsair LL140): 5V / Data Out (Unused) / Data In / Ground

Du1zJyuV4AAI2A5.jpg

Hi, I have the same situation as yours. I bought a single pack ML140 fan thinking that I could match it with Corsair H115i rgb platinum cooler. I have other fans installed (not corsair fans and non rgb). To my dismay, it didn't come with a lighting hub. I checked youtube and many forum discussions, I finally found this thread that really match my condition.

I have MSI X570 creation and it has JCORSAIR connector as well as JRAINBOW. Both are 5V and 3 pin connector. The ML fan is 4 pin connector. So the picture above is not really clear, how did you connect a 3 pin to 4 pin connector? So you used the 3 pin to 3 pin extension provided by MSI (connected to JCORSAIR) and how did you connect it to 4 pin LL fan? I am desperate and I don't want to waste another 100 $ just to buy 2 packs ML140 because I need the hub. Help please and thank you.

Edited by pontageek

• 1 month later...
I recently ordered two single-pack LL120 RGB fans without realising they would need the hub and node to work. Using your guide I have managed to hook them both up to the addressable RGB header on my motherboard and they work perfectly with ASRock's Polychrome Sync. Thank you for taking the time to solve the problem and post the solution. Much appreciated!

• 4 months later...
I recently ordered two single-pack LL120 RGB fans without realising they would need the hub and node to work. Using your guide I have managed to hook them both up to the addressable RGB header on my motherboard and they work perfectly with ASRock's Polychrome Sync. Thank you for taking the time to solve the problem and post the solution. Much appreciated!

Same problem here. Got two single Corsair LL120 RGB fans without that hub thing, and now trying to connect to my two JRGB headers on my motherboard. How did you manage this. What adapters/cables did you use. Any Pics or detailled explanations are welcome.

• 2 months later...
Hi, I have the same situation as yours. I bought a single pack ML140 fan thinking that I could match it with Corsair H115i rgb platinum cooler. I have other fans installed (not corsair fans and non rgb). To my dismay, it didn't come with a lighting hub. I checked youtube and many forum discussions, I finally found this thread that really match my condition.

I have MSI X570 creation and it has JCORSAIR connector as well as JRAINBOW. Both are 5V and 3 pin connector. The ML fan is 4 pin connector. So the picture above is not really clear, how did you connect a 3 pin to 4 pin connector? So you used the 3 pin to 3 pin extension provided by MSI (connected to JCORSAIR) and how did you connect it to 4 pin LL fan? I am desperate and I don't want to waste another 100 $ just to buy 2 packs ML140 because I need the hub. Help please and thank you.

a bit late of a reply.

What I did was remove the connector on the JCORSAIR to Lightning Connector cable provided by MSI (the 3 wire side of the picture), and also removed the RGB connector on the LL140 fan (the 4 wire side of picture).

Then it's a matter of linking 5V to 5V, Ground to Ground, Data to Data, with 1 unused wire (you can use the connector like i did, or simply twist each pair together and tape them up by pair)