Corsair Community

H150i on an OC'd 9900K

Dweezil

Anyone using a H150i on an overclocked i9-9900K? How well does the cooler perform. It it a viable option for this chip? I'm in the middle of buying parts for a new build and have had good luck with the H150i on 8700k builds in the past but the 9900k looks like it will run quite a bit hotter. I'm worried the H150i may not be enough.

Thoughts and input appreciated.

Coolant temperature rise is not likely to be the limiting factor. A 360mm thin radiator can handle more wattage than the 9900K can produce, so this might only be relevant if you are literally down to your last 1-2C because of your Vcore. I am not sure where you would go from there to get it back. A custom loop with multiple 420/480 radiators? An external chiller? Voltage and physical properties of the 9900K will be the limiting factor and trying to scrape a few more degrees back is likely to be a bit pricey.

Anyone using a H150i on an overclocked i9-9900K? How well does the cooler perform. It it a viable option for this chip? I'm in the middle of buying parts for a new build and have had good luck with the H150i on 8700k builds in the past but the 9900k looks like it will run quite a bit hotter. I'm worried the H150i may not be enough.

Thoughts and input appreciated.

Hi dweezil. Awesome name btw - your last name Zappa? 😁

I've the h150i cooler on a 9900k and running a oc of 5ghz @ 1.31v. Atm my config is to blow air from inside case through the rad out the top of case. Running xtu stress test overnight and temps never exceed 65c. But if I run prime 95 which tests avx on cpu then temps hit 100c. But I've used an avx offset of -2 to compensate.

I've ordered an extra 3 ml120mm fans to sandwich the rad between them and original 3 ml fans so I can run a push/pull with drawing air in from the top of case this time, and I'm hoping that will help the temps for avx a bit. Fans arrive on Friday so won't know till then if they make a big difference

I'm running this setup.

5.0ghz @ 1.30v

My rad and fans are in the front of a 570x case. I did switch out the fans, though to be LL120's (and two LL140's on the top as intake)

stress tests get me to around 90C (prime95) but normal usage i never exceed 70C.

Voltage, load type, program, and some LLC settings will impact your end CPU temperature. Certainly there is variation among samples as well. However, if you are trying to assess if the cooler is sufficient, you need to look at your coolant temperature delta. Each degree of coolant temp rise is in effect a +1C penalty to CPU temp. I would expect a normal average of around +6C for the 9900K with the H150. +3C is about as low as you can go for any cooler and hardware without resorting to external cooling tricks, so that gives you an idea of the small gains on offer. Most people will get more mileage out of a delid, but that is a debatable option for the 9900K. It sounds like you have plenty of headroom anyway, unless your intent is to hunt Mersenne Primes all day long.

• 4 months later...

I Have a i9 9940X (yes EX not K) and a H150 Pro, with a ASUS x299-A motherboard running a 39% overclock (4.2Mhz) . I run all cores (14) at 95% 24/7 and my CPU temps are around the 80° C mark. (20° to 25° ambient) I couldn't get the iCue software to run correctly so its running with that uninstalled.

Your 9900k will definitely work with the H150

I9-9900K all cores at 5G on H115i Platinum and it maxes at 75°C. Though keep in mind VCore plays a large part in operating temps as well. I'm at 1.23 VCore stable, your chip might be happy with less or more but if you can get stable on 1.24 you're doing good.