Corsair Community

H100 integrated fan speed control issue

NexusAU

Roughly two weeks ago I upgraded from a H80 (used for 6 months) to a H100. What concerns me is that when I switched between the three fan profiles on my H80 (via the pump button) the fans would noticeably change speed within a couple of seconds. Trying this on my H100, there appears to be little change in fan speed at any of the settings selected on the pump. From research I have performed on the net, many appear to be confused about how the fan speed operates on these units. I am using the two stock fans provided with the H100. The pump sounds to be far more quite than my H80 which is good, however it appears the fan controller is unresponsive. I have tried the firmware reset procedure which made no apparent difference.

In an attempt to test the fan speed controller on the H100 I connected one of the fans from my H80 and held it to my ear while pressing the fan speed button on the pump. A very, very slight change was heard between the quiet and the performance fan mode with the slight ramp up (have to really listen for the change) taking 45+ seconds. The H100 is mounted at the top of my 800d and the CPU header connected. No fan control management is enabled on my motherboard.

I expected the fan speed control to operate exactly how my H80 did, that being at each of the three profiles there is a noticeable change in fan speed within a few seconds of selecting the profile (detectable via the obvious change in fan sound). This fan speed change occurred on my H80 at any coolant temperature. My H100 sounds very much the same through all of the three options, cold or under load. Ill add that it revs up during system start then slowly quiets down, much, much slower than the H80 revved down.

Did a test on my H80 and my new H100 in regards to the time taken to reach full fan RPM from quiet fan mode (1 light) to performance fan mode (3 lights).

My H80 – 10 seconds

My new H100 – 50 seconds (not even sure its getting to full RPM)

Does this sound like a faulty H100?

Are both the H100 and H80 designed to react the same way to fan profile changes?

My H100 unit lot code is 12159403 and was purchased 11/7/12. Unit was installed yesterday.

The H100 i have takes about 30-40 seconds to slow down. So i guess that is normal.

When you mention the fan controller is not changing RPMS, It will only change by coolant temp. Try plugging the fans into different ports, Then try a force reset.

Shutdown the computer.

Hold the fan control button, while holding it turn on the computer.

The L.E.Ds should start blinking, Once it stops, turn off the computer.

Power the computer and see if the fans change speed.

You can test if the fan controller is actually working by running Prime95, Small FFTs.

This may help

http://www.corsair.com/blog/understanding-the-hydro-series-h80-and-h100-cooling-performance-profiles/

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

The H100 i have takes about 30-40 seconds to slow down. So i guess that is normal.

- Thought it would react exactly how the H80 does – on system boot revvs up high, drops, revvs up high again, then slows to selected profile. My H100 revvs up high once then slowly drops to its speed.

-When changing between quiet and performance my H100 is a lot slower (40 seconds slower) to spin down from “performance” or spin up from quiet. (Cant actually tell during normal usage of the H100 that any change is occurring) Based on what you told me it sounds like it works differently to the H80. Strange that it isn’t the same as the H80.

When you mention the fan controller is not changing RPMS, It will only change by coolant temp. Try plugging the fans into different ports, Then try a force reset.

- I understand this to be the case. The way I understand is it has 3 profiles, with a min and max RPM for each profile. Based on coolant temp, the RPMs will increase between the lower and upper values in the selected profile.

-With this in mind there still should be 3 distinct fan speeds at each profile. It was certainly noticeable on the H80. The performance mode was way too loud for my linking so I always ran the H80 at balanced. With the H100 I can run it at performance and it sounds nothing like the H80 did. I can’t tell any difference between the three modes on my H100 (fan loudness/sound). My H100 certainly does not sound like a hairdryer on performance mode like the H80 did.

Shutdown the computer.

Hold the fan control button, while holding it turn on the computer.

The L.E.Ds should start blinking, Once it stops, turn off the computer.

Power the computer and see if the fans change speed.

-Done this – no change to unit operation. Tried connecting the two fans to different headers on the block, no difference.

You can test if the fan controller is actually working by running Prime95, Small FFTs.

-Ran Prime 95, small FFTs for 2 hours 30 minutes. Tried changing fan speed profiles, again no obvious change in fan speeds when selecting a different profile or within a profile during the test (comparing to my H80). Stock clocked 2600K maxed out at 46 degrees centigrade.

-I have read that in the past and was aware. Thanks for the link though :)

Ill just say that it was really obvious that a new profile was selected on the H80 regardless of CPU temp. With my H100 really can’t tell any difference between all three modes.

This YouTube video

which is about the H100 (fan speed demo ending 17:55) mirrors exactly how my H80 operated when changing fan speed profiles via the pump block. Based on my experience with my H80 and that video showing how the H100 should react, I can conclude there appears be a fault with my H100, more specifically the integrated fan controller.

There simply isn't any audible fan speed change (like my H80/the video) when I press the fan button on my H100's pump block.

Contact your seller and ask if they can replace the H100 for you. If not, Request an RMA to get the H100 replaced.

I have contacted the store about this issue and was asked to bring in my H100 for exchange. Ill post my results.

hey nexus!

funny thing is, i've got the same batch number as you,

i purchased it from CPL in north melbourne (victoria)

but mines dead now, it smell like burnt plastic, and nothing moves or lights up on it :(

I purchased mine from a computer store in Adelaide (South Australia). Looks like this batch may have faults and it looks like yours had a serious fault! I just experienced another issue with mine - powered up my system and no lights or fans on the H100. Quickly powered off and on again and it came good. First time that has happened.

Hope my replacement isn’t faulty in any way!

Ill update this thread with the results.

• 2 weeks later...
It is not a bad batch just a failing unit and I am sure the reseller will, take care of you if not please contact our customer service because I know for a fact they will.

Thanks for the reply RAM GUY.

I received my replacement H100 on Friday (10/8) from the store after 9 days of waiting (and without a computer) and installed it that night.

Powered on my system with the replacement H100 installed and much to my dismay the replacement H100 has exactly the same issue as the one I had replaced. The fan speed controller does not change the speed of the stock Corsair fans. I have reset the firmware and tried different fan ports. All fan headers on the CPU block operate, however pressing the fan speed profile button does not slow or speed up the two stock Corsair fans.

Ran prime 95 and the IBT for some time to allow for the coolant to warm up at which point I pressed the fan speed profile button to see if the fans would change to the next profile. No change.

I am very disappointed that the replacement unit has exactly the very same issue of the first H100 - fans don't respond to profile selected.

Looks like I will now have to take the replacement unit back to the store and wait yet another week for the supplier to send me another unit. As I do not have another CPU cooling solution I am unable to use my computer.

The replacement unit has the batch number:00D3WS 12259403. My originial H100 (sent back) was 00AHGU 12159403. Ill mention that the supplier of the store sent me back my old (original) box with a new H100 unit in it. I was expecting an entirely new box.

Ill be contacting the store again on Monday.

• 2 weeks later...
I would suggest you RMA it through Corsair.

Follow the directions in this thread and let them know it's your second unit and that you have already returned it to the store twice and they will take care of you with alot less to no down time.

Plus you will get a new unit sealed in the box!

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=107252

Thanks for the info. I think I will call Corsair direct to get this organised right now.

I contacted my local store today (place of purchase of my H100) to inform them that my replacement H100 is also faulty. They suggested in order to get a working H100 I should RMA through Corsair as you have suggested as it would be quicker. This is a hassle as I am unable to use my computer in the meantime.

Fingers crossed that the replacement has a working fan controller and that it does not buzz.

I’ll keep this thread updated with the results.

Before you call our customer service please use the link on the left anf file for an RMA we will need that before we can do anything.

No problems :):. I have done that. I received an RMA number, then was upgraded to an advanced RMA with a new number. They told me that they will ship me out a brand new replacement H100 and I’ll need to send back my faulty unit.

Before they will ship me a new unit under an advanced RMA they want to charge my credit card $117 and then will refund it after they receive my old unit back. Is this correct?

In regards to shipping it back, I assume they will send me some kind of prepaid label? It would be very expensive to ship from Australia back to Corsair.

Yes, That is how an advanced RMA works, They charge your credit card to ensure you do return your faulty unit back to them.

Thanks for confirming this.

IMO the fan speed will change EVEN if the pump is not mounted. The minimum speed at profile 1 is 900 while at 3 it is 1600. There will be a noticeable revving up and down when profiles are switched back and forth.

This is what my H80 did do, but none of my H100s (2 so far) have done. In fact the fans don't change speed at all. That is my issue. I totally agree with you that there will be a noticeable change between all the profiles. Youtube reviews also show a noticeable fan speed change between all three profiles.

I was advised by customer service to wait until the end of the week before asking for a new H100 as they are apparently receiving brand new stock that has a number of issues resolved. I will be waiting for a few days as I want to ensure I get a decent working replacement unit with no issues at all. I want this to be the last unit I have to exchange.

Archived