Corsair Community

HD RGB Fans won't work via link and lighting node pro

XKaan

Hello!

Bit of an issue, so I hope someone has some insight or can provide some suggestions. I'll give as much data as I can!

So I am in the middle of a new build and I'm doing my fans\lighting. I have 4 HD120 RGB fans plugged into ports 1-4 on the HD RGB hub that they came with.

I have also purchased a lighting node pro for additional lighting, and for the ability to control the HD RGB fans via LINK.

So here's the deal:

1.) I have connected all of the HD fans to the hub and tested them with the included controller that allows you to change color, mode etc. They work perfectly fine using this.

2.) I have hooked the lighting node pro up to my motherboard, power etc and connected the included 4 RGB LED strips to it and tested them. They all work fine! I can control them via Corsair Link with no issue. (Link version 4.6.0.86)

3.) However, if I use one of the included HD RGB cables to go from the HD RGB hub to an open LED port on the lighting node pro, the fans don't work properly. What happens is ONE LED on Fan #1 blinks continuously, but no other LED's on any of the other fans light up at all, nor do any of the other LED's on fan #1 light up.

4.) I've tried switching LED ports and the strips work fine in both, but the fans behave as described above in either LED port.

5.) In LINK I have made sure that LED port 1 is set to HD Fans, and LED port 2 is set to strips, or vice-versa if I switch them.

Any ideas what I might be missing or what I can try?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=892389 for how I recovered CL4 messing up.

The same happened to me, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=892383 when I contacted Corsair support they said I sould RMA.

Do the HD fans work if you interchange the ports?, mine did.

The actual issue was the firmware configuration was messed up and I managed to reset this but pushing the little button below the hole and putting the LNP into firmware recovery mode. When I next powered it up it started working again.

I told Corsair support what I had done and suggested the write a guide on how to do this.

What is really needed is a "reset firmware" facility.

Thanks for the suggestion, but at this point I can't even get the LNP to reset its firmware.

I found the hole, inserted a pin, and felt a button depress. I've held it for 5 secs, 10, 15 etc all the way up to 30, yet when I get back into the software it still says its firmware version 0.2.54 with bootloader 02

In addition, the fans have the same behavior as before.

If you wouldn't mind, would you share with me how long you depressed the firmware button and if you did so with the unit with power, completely unplugged, or otherwise?

Thanks -

I have this exact same issue. The LNP worked perfect with the HD 120 fans until I pressed that "Update Firmware" button in Corsair Link. Since then, only the 1st LED of the 1st fan flickers. Yet all LEDs work perfect when switching the LNP with the included 3-button controller on the fan led hub. I've even been tempted to try and code something to control the LEDs from software - but haven't dug into the technical's yet.

The LNP worked perfect with the HD 120 fans until I pressed that "Update Firmware" button in Corsair Link. Since then, only the 1st LED of the 1st fan flickers.

I suspect you will have to RMA it. Why on earth can't Corsair get CL4 to do reliable firmware updates?

This used to happen all the time when firmware issues actually got addressed and it's not that hard to make firmware update work reliably if well designed.

Thanks again for your reply and detailed direction. Unfortunately for me, no combination of any of the above allow the firmware to roll back etc.

As you suspect, I also feel this will be a recurring issue and Corsair will have to address it at some point.

I think rather than wait for new firmware I'll just RMA this one and hope for the best on the next one.

Thanks all.

i also have a ticket open for this exact same issue.

if they cannot provide a previous firmware and flash utility, or a reset that works, I will be demanding a RMA.

this build was 3 days old when the issue occurred ... and i'm a bit salty about waiting this long for an answer about the AM4 bracket for my h100iv2 ...

I suspect you will have to RMA it. Why on earth can't Corsair get CL4 to do reliable firmware updates?

This used to happen all the time when firmware issues actually got addressed and it's not that hard to make firmware update work reliably if well designed.

Yeah i just submitted a ticket. It literally arrived toda, it'll probably take days/weeks to even get a reply. I don't get why

1) the button isnt mentioned at all in the "manual" (can we even call it that?)

2) the Corsair Link software doesn't have a force-update of firmware (even CUE has this)

This will be my first and last post on this thread. I have $300 in just HD120 fans and this corsair lighting pro. Originally I bought 8 HD120's and had to controllers. The Two controllers would not keep the same timing so the color transitions and other effects would be off. I contacted corsair support and was told that a product that is overly expensive for what it is had UP TO 20% variables in controller timing.

So, while frustrated I bought a corsair LNP. Overpriced for what ou get again but I bit the bullet. It was delivers from Amazon yesterday got in in a day. Everything worked when I plugged it in did the firmware update and it broke everything. it worked all of 5 minutes. I uninstalled reinstall, plugged into another usb 2.0 port on my mobo. tried the reset. Then I called tech support. The person on the phone did his best but said we'd have to RMA. He assured me that we can't having you waiting for a brand new device. I created the ticket updated all the info put pictures, a small video, all my receipts etc. Have not heard a thing. Yeah I get you have a 48 hour window but I can return this junk to amazon and get a new one in that time.

This is my last Corsair product ever. What a bunch of overpriced garbage.

Yeah i just submitted a ticket. It literally arrived toda, it'll probably take days/weeks to even get a reply. I don't get why

1) the button isnt mentioned at all in the "manual" (can we even call it that?)

2) the Corsair Link software doesn't have a force-update of firmware (even CUE has this)

The Corsair RMA service was way better than the CL4 developers last time I did an RMA, I guess it needs to be given how good CL is a bricking things :bigeyes:

1) There isn't a CL4 manual at all

2) The CL4 developers are incompetent and the manager does not release now incompetent they are.

I suspect the CL4 developers and managers need to be RMAed

See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=892389 for how I recovered CL4 messing up.

The Corsair RMA service was way better than the CL4 developers last time I did an RMA, I guess it needs to be given how good CL is a bricking things :bigeyes

Unrelated to CL, but when i upgraded from CUE 1 to CUE 2, not only was it 100x harder to do the effects/macros you wanted, but also it'd crash / not detect the hardware etc. Occasionally i have to unplug and re-plug in my keyboard so that it has the correct lighting profile. AND v1 actually has MORE features than v2. There is an SDK but i'm way too lazy to write my own thing for that, I shouldn't have to if v1 could do what i wanted ;_;

This is all very troubling to hear - I did not realize Corsair had this many issues with their products.

FWIW, my intention was to get the new In-Win Aurora fans, but they delayed the release until May, so I opted for this setup instead.

I like the fans, but man this is a PITA

Unrelated to CL, but when i upgraded from CUE 1 to CUE 2

Not that unrelated. The 3rd party that developed CUE2 also developed CL4. I have never used wither CUE1 or CUE2, but from what you said they don't seem to have done a good job with that either.

I was told their name, but can't remember it, do you know please?

Chiming in to say I'm experiencing a similar issue. I got a notification through Corsair Link to update the firmware of my LNP today, so I did. I wish I didn't. My six HD120 fans' lighting effects were working fine since I bought the LNP about 2 weeks ago. Right after the firmware update to 0.2.54, my 6th HD120 fan's lighting effect no longer works. Only one LED is on with the rest off. The other five fans' lighting effects still work. I tried red-ray's directions to attempt to reset the firmware but had no luck. I called technical support for help. He told me the button I pressed does not reset the firmware at all. It just resets the settings of the LNP to the factory default. I'm still within the 30 day period with Amazon, so just going to go with an exchange.

1. You need to remove all power.
  2. Unplug the USB cable.
  3. Press the button.
  4. Insert the USB cable.
  5. Then the recovery loader comes up.

Very important correction due to missing portion:

Press and HOLD DOWN the button (Pinhole in the top of the LNP)

WHILE HOLDING DOWN THE BUTTON, connect the USB cable.

The recovery loader is a USB Drive to the view of the computer.

I extracted the firmware from the LNP as shipped and attached it below. Might be useful for some folks. No guarantees or directions are provided.

LNP-Shipped-Feb-2017-firmware.zip

I extracted the firmware from the LNP as shipped and attached it below. Might be useful for some folks. No guarantees or directions are provided.

THANK YOU!

I can confirm that this absolutely works, or at least it did for me.

I disconnected the SATA power from the unit, then disconnected the USB.

Once USB was disconnected I pushed the button down with a pin and held it while I then plugged the usb back in.

Windows notified me that it had a new "removable disk"

I opened it to view files, and replaced the firmware with the zip provided above.

Plug everything back in, open up Link, configure your LED's and hit APPLY

Once I hit APPLY everything worked fine!

Thanks again everyone who contributed! :cool:

Great, I guess you are now back to the 1.46 firmware or did you the update to update to 2.54?

I'm at 1.46, and def NOT upgrading the firmware yet - at least until another version comes out that I might have better luck with.

I registered solely to thank you for this.

I replaced my NZXT Hue+ with the Corsair Lighting Node Pro because I also have 4 HD120 fans, but was very annoyed when it didn't work. I was afraid I broke something. But this worked! Looks amazing :D

Now I'll just have to wait and see if the Lighting Node Pro will have as many lighting options as the NZXT Hue+ in coming updates.

I registered solely to thank you for this.

I replaced my NZXT Hue+ with the Corsair Lighting Node Pro because I also have 4 HD120 fans, but was very annoyed when it didn't work. I was afraid I broke something. But this worked! Looks amazing :D

Now I'll just have to wait and see if the Lighting Node Pro will have as many lighting options as the NZXT Hue+ in coming updates.

Thanks. ^.^ I try to be helpful. I have an LNP, but I'm going to continue development on the Arduino HD120 RGB fan controller. It already has more options than the LNP does.

Now if I could figure out how to put custom firmware on the LNP, that would be Even More Interesting. <.< However I'm not certain that "Two channels" and "More program space" and "Oh, and four RGB Strips" as benefits outweighs the extra $54 cost of the LNP.

I'm glad I checked this thread one more time. Your additional instructions and the provided zip file worked to go back to 0.1.46. My 6th HD120 fan is now back to working properly.

Archived