The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Keyboards and Mice

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-09-2014, 02:40 AM
Corran's PC Specs

POST ID # = 726261
Corran Reputation: 10
Default Programming the K70 RGB

Hello. About two months ago I was looking for a mechanical keyboard and was intrigued when I learned about the K70 RGB. As a software engineer, I had a lot of ideas, but I'm worried that I've set expectations too high.

For example, I would like to create a "heatmap profile" where keys turn "hot" when you use them repeatedly and the rest turn "cold". When you switch between programs, the heatmap would change to what it last was for that program. This way, instead of manually creating a profile for each program the heatmap would automatically generate profiles for you.

Another idea would be accept to input from a music player, and, instead of reacting to key presses, the keys would react to the music. Imagine an audio spectrum analyzer but on the keyboard.

These kinds of ideas would require storing state for each key, persisting and loading that state between reboots, performing some small computations, having a unique id for each foreground process available, and accepting input from external programs. That is quite a laundry list of asks for a new v1 product, but I was still hopeful especially after seeing a screenshot on the product page which shows "SCRIPT" as an option for programming the board:
(I'm guessing this image will be replaced soon now that the actual software is out...)

Now that the red switch version is out and the manual and software are available to all to review, I'm a bit sad to find such depth of programability missing. The primary reason I don't have a keyboard yet is because I was holding out for the blue or brown switches, but I'm not sure anymore...

Will the kind of programability I am seeking come eventually and soon for the K70 rgb? Is the reason it is missing so the keyboard's delays could be minimized? Or am I just blind and this functionality actually already exists?

Thanks

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:02 AM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 726264
Corsair James Reputation: 75

There will be an option to do customized scripting (Lua) in the future for your latter idea, but the former would be extremely difficult to implement from the sound of it as it sounds like you want a very complex method of reactive typing.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:18 AM
Corran's PC Specs

POST ID # = 726267
Corran Reputation: 10

Thanks for the response James. :) I look forward to seeing what can be done with the lua scripting.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:24 PM
aavang's PC Specs

POST ID # = 726493
aavang Reputation: 10
Default +1 for Programming Support

I too was hoping to do some sort of reactive heat map.

I love the audio visualizer as well, but get access to the data and processing it would be an interesting challenge to be sure.

I don't have much experience using Lua. I work with Java and C# mostly. I assume you publish the programming interface in the (hopefully near) future?

Last edited by aavang; 09-09-2014 at 08:31 PM.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:34 AM

POST ID # = 726596
sherry Reputation: 10

Clojure with SuperCollider, changing key colors, would be interesting. Parameter values, numbers actually, e.g. min=red, max=blue, gradient inbetween. Every parameters value would be visible on a key.

Another example: Stock values, real-time values represented as key colors.

So my question is how open is the color control to external real-time numeric data, e.g. between 0.000 and 1.000?

Another general simple example: Touch typing learning setup, each finger keys gets its own color. We can call this 'finger based setup' for Qwerty, Dvorak, Colemak at least.

Another method I am mainly interested in is how can we send a 'programming code' to the hardware while pressing a key! I want to be able to send 'any programming code' with any key combination, single key presses or alt,shift,win,control holded combinations. This 'real time side programming' is very important for me, as only this give ultimate freedom for programming the key colors and blinking rate. Very important for musical applications, as a controller. Then many music controllers could immediately retire. But you want to catch only the gamers I guess, thus only suboptimal programming capabilities so far, it seems.

When I see this programmability, I will buy the product, otherwise this is not a useful product for my considerations.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Corsair Employee
Corsair Shaman's PC Specs

POST ID # = 726671
Corsair Shaman Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
Clojure with SuperCollider, changing key colors, would be interesting. Parameter values, numbers actually, e.g. min=red, max=blue, gradient inbetween. Every parameters value would be visible on a key.

Another example: Stock values, real-time values represented as key colors.

So my question is how open is the color control to external real-time numeric data, e.g. between 0.000 and 1.000?

Another general simple example: Touch typing learning setup, each finger keys gets its own color. We can call this 'finger based setup' for Qwerty, Dvorak, Colemak at least.

Another method I am mainly interested in is how can we send a 'programming code' to the hardware while pressing a key! I want to be able to send 'any programming code' with any key combination, single key presses or alt,shift,win,control holded combinations. This 'real time side programming' is very important for me, as only this give ultimate freedom for programming the key colors and blinking rate. Very important for musical applications, as a controller. Then many music controllers could immediately retire. But you want to catch only the gamers I guess, thus only suboptimal programming capabilities so far, it seems.

When I see this programmability, I will buy the product, otherwise this is not a useful product for my considerations.
None of this available at the moment. We are gaming peripheral company after all.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:51 AM

POST ID # = 726936
sherry Reputation: 10

Bad argument. :)

You built a device which can use 16 million colors per key, but do not want your users to program those color behaviours themselves, freely? Other companies might think more intelligently, waiting for 2015 then. Leopold and friends?

Old 09-11-2014, 05:21 AM
TheGainbow's PC Specs

POST ID # = 726946
TheGainbow Reputation: 10

Will it be possible for any of the scripts to run without the software being installed on the PC? I'd really like to be able to use the keyboard on other PCs and in linux without requiring the software be installed. Additionally if we could save the lighting effects to the keyboard (not just the static light colors) that would be fantastic.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:56 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
terabyte's PC Specs

POST ID # = 727002
terabyte Reputation: 73

Quote:

You built a device which can use 16 million colors per key, but do not want your users to program those color behaviours themselves, freely? Other companies might think more intelligently, waiting for 2015 then. Leopold and friends?
They already mentioned they plan on adding LUA scripting support at some point. That should give you what you're asking?

Old 09-11-2014, 10:09 AM
Dajinn's PC Specs

POST ID # = 727006
Dajinn Reputation: 10

Quote:

You don't have to sound so butt hurt. You're grasping at straws if you seriously think Corsair MEANT to imply in their "16.8 million colors with programmable keys" that you would be able to have key colors and actions correspond with STOCK PRICES. Cry some more.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:25 AM

POST ID # = 727010
Exofusion Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajinn View Post
You don't have to sound so butt hurt. You're grasping at straws if you seriously think Corsair MEANT to imply in their "16.8 million colors with programmable keys" that you would be able to have key colors and actions correspond with STOCK PRICES. Cry some more.
You don't have to sound so antagonizing. Pretty sure he got the idea that Corsair implied the ability for per-key Lua scripting from the promo videos in which they stated there would be per-key Lua scripting...

I'm definitely holding out on buying until the Lua scripting gets released, can a Corsair rep give us any sort of timeframe of when this will be ready?

Last edited by Exofusion; 09-11-2014 at 10:34 AM.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Corsair Employee
Corsair Shaman's PC Specs

POST ID # = 727041
Corsair Shaman Reputation: 10

Quote:

I wasn't trying to argue. I was merely confirming what you said about Corsair wants to catch mainly gaming crowds.

The color behavior can be programmed but only to certain extent, just like all other programmable keyboards out there in the market. This is a gaming keyboard. It's not going to replace music controllers and it won't send programming code to any specialized hardware. If those are the features you're looking for, It only make sense if you look somewhere else.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:23 PM

POST ID # = 727053

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Shaman View Post
I wasn't trying to argue. I was merely confirming what you said about Corsair wants to catch mainly gaming crowds.

The color behavior can be programmed but only to certain extent, just like all other programmable keyboards out there in the market. This is a gaming keyboard. It's not going to replace music controllers and it won't send programming code to any specialized hardware. If those are the features you're looking for, It only make sense if you look somewhere else.
I think what people in this thread want to know is what the Lua scripting encompasses mentioned here:

What it sounds like, is that by "totally open" it means we will be able to use Lua to write custom scripts to send a color to a key using some sort of API. This was brought up as a selling point and the feature is missing now, we just want to know more about it and when it will be released.

It sounds like it would merely be a software implementation and the hardware already supports it, so why wouldn't we expect it when the promo videos are telling us it's a feature?

Old 09-12-2014, 12:17 PM

POST ID # = 727357

I saw mention of the non-beta software release coming out later this month, any idea if the scripting will be included in that release?

Old 09-12-2014, 12:32 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 727363
Corsair Jason Reputation: 10

We are actively working on adding scripting. It will be available in a future release.