Corsair Community

Really slow Windows boot up since buying K70 & M65

markob53

I'm trying it. So far, the boot times haven't been overly long anymore (like 30 secs+) the few times I've booted, though they are still a bit longer than they would be without the keyboard plugged in.

Edit: Ok, my PC just proved me wrong. Took 74 seconds again to boot this time... So the USB compatibility patch didn't fix it :/

Edited by cor9

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok i was wrong about the issue being fixed.

My pc still sits at the motherboard manufacturer splash screen for ages and it's all since i bought this keyboard and mouse, it doesnt do it all the time though.

I even did a fresh install of Windows, and whenever i boot into windows i get a 'device connected' sound followed by 'device disconnected' sound.

Very annoying.

This is exactly what I am seeing as well. I did start another thread with my configuration and things I have tried (http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134679) but perhaps I should have posted here...?

It does seem to be something that is able to be replicated across different hardware configs, albeit it is somewhat intermittent.

Please help!

Edited by Dmeister406

• 2 weeks later...
I know they were closed for a week to relocate but see that some Corsair officials have been posting over the last couple of days so I assume they are back in action. Here's hoping to hear something as well.

Well, time's passing and nothing is happening, and by now I get the impression our problem is being ignored, possibly because they can't find a solution... Really disappointed here.

I should update my situation: I had purchased BOTH the K70 RGB and the M65 RGB black. Unfortunately, the M65 started registering 1 click as 2 clicks on the left mouse button. I returned it and got the Sabre RGB Laser instead. This did not change the issue with the intermittent hanging at POST. So it is not the specific combination of RGB M65/K70 (as per the title of this thread) that is actually causing the issue but rather JUST the K70 RGB itself.

Just thought I'd post to update and clarify.

Ok, I just wrote to the Technical Support. Let's see what they say about our problem. However, in any event I would want to know if there's some kind of update on this whole thing. Is there any news on when/if you can finally fix the longer boot times issue? Edited by cor9

Please please please fix this. Just plugged my K70 RGB back in because I missed the key feel compared to my Ducky Shine 3, and every time I try to power on my PC, it gets stuck on the mobo manufacture splash screen. I have USB at full initialization, USB legacy support on on, up-to-date BIOS, up-to-date drivers, everything is up to date. It's plugged into a INTEL USB 3.0 hub right now, maybe I should try the ASMedia ones later, but please please please fix this problem. It gets stuck on the splash screen for a long time and it just stays stuck, and I have to power it off manually and power it on again for it to work. It's a hassle.

It gets stuck on the splash screen for a long time and it just stays stuck, and I have to power it off manually and power it on again for it to work. It's a hassle.

It certainly is VERY annoying! When it gets stuck, instead of powering off your PC and then powering it back on again; try sliding the polling switch on the back of the KB across and then back again. This will cause the KB to disconnect temporarily from the USB interface and the system will be able to proceed with the OS boot.

It certainly is VERY annoying! When it gets stuck, instead of powering off your PC and then powering it back on again; try sliding the polling switch on the back of the KB across and then back again. This will cause the KB to disconnect temporarily from the USB interface and the system will be able to proceed with the OS boot.

Oh really? I'll give it a shot, but either way, Corsair needs to come out with a firmware update to fix this problem.

I plugged in both cables to USB 3.0s and it seems to work fine now. The boot still has like a second or two delay on the splash screen, but it doesn't get stuck like it did with just the single "keyboard" labeled USB 3.0 plugged in.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm this problem, unplugged my the USBs, booted fast, connected them to another USB 3.0, booted up fast, shut down, switched them back, booted up fast... Shut down for the day, next day (today) I booted up, and again slow boot.

have the usb device error.

My first K70 didn't have this problem, but I had to RMA it. During the process, I had to use a PS/2 keyboard, and go into regedit to allow the port to be recognized. Since getting my new K70, I've reverted the regedit value, and plugged and played with my new K70. Maybe reinstalling the drivers, but even with my experience, I'm not sure how to go about that.

Edited by ScarletStreak

• Corsair Employee

Hi all, just as an update, we're currently in the testing phase a new FW version. However, I wanted to emphasize that these post delays you're seeing isn't caused by the keyboard but rather the enumeration process on the motherboard. We're implementing some workarounds for certain systems but because of the varying chipsets and custom BIOS from each motherboard manufacturer, it's difficult to isolate a single solution that fits all.

Here are some tips I recommend that may help solve the issue that I have received confirmation from others :

1.) Ensure latest BIOS is use for your motherboard, especially with patches that improve USB Compatibility.

2.) If your BIOS supports it, make sure that it is using FULL (not partial) initialization on POST. This is typically a setting in the BIOS itself.

3.) Try switching USB ports (from USB 2.0 to USB 3.0 and vice versa). Some boards may have the USB ports driven by a non-native controller that may cause longer enumeration processes.

4.) Enable USB Legacy Devices in the BIOS.

If none of these help, post here with your motherboard and BIOS version so we can review it.

Thanks everyone for your patience.

Hi all, just as an update, we're currently in the testing phase a new FW version. However, I wanted to emphasize that these post delays you're seeing isn't caused by the keyboard but rather the enumeration process on the motherboard. We're implementing some workarounds for certain systems but because of the varying chipsets and custom BIOS from each motherboard manufacturer, it's difficult to isolate a single solution that fits all.

Here are some tips I recommend that may help solve the issue that I have received confirmation from others :

1.) Ensure latest BIOS is use for your motherboard, especially with patches that improve USB Compatibility.

2.) If your BIOS supports it, make sure that it is using FULL (not partial) initialization on POST. This is typically a setting in the BIOS itself.

3.) Try switching USB ports (from USB 2.0 to USB 3.0 and vice versa). Some boards may have the USB ports driven by a non-native controller that may cause longer enumeration processes.

If none of these help, post here with your motherboard and BIOS version so we can review it.

Hi James,

Thanks for the update.

My specs are listed in my profile. I'm running the latest BIOS version 2101.

I have tried:

1. Enabling and disabling ErP S4+S5.

2. Tried both USB connectors in different USB 2.0 ports.

3. Tried both USB connectors in different USB 3.0 ports.

4. Tried using JUST the KB USB connector in different USB 3.0 ports.

5. Have enabled legacy USB support in BIOS.

6. Have enabled FULL USB initialization in BIOS.

None of the above actually solve the intermittent issue of hanging for extended periods at POST (which, by the way, is never the same period of time. Sometimes it may be 30-40 seconds, other times it may be a few minutes). I have found the issue can be most frequently reproduced when restarting the system as opposed to booting from a completely powered off state.

I understand the process of USB enumeration but I am confused as to why this issue (of ALL the USB devices I have used on my system) is only present with this particular keyboard and with this level of intermittence.

Edited by Dmeister406

• Corsair Employee
Hi James,

Thanks for the update.

My specs are listed in my profile. I'm running the latest BIOS version 2101.

I have tried:

1. Enabling and disabling ErP S4+S5.

2. Tried both USB connectors in different USB 2.0 ports.

3. Tried both USB connectors in different USB 3.0 ports.

4. Tried using JUST the KB USB connector in different USB 3.0 ports.

5. Have enabled legacy USB support in BIOS.

6. Have enabled FULL USB initialization in BIOS.

None of the above actually solve the intermittent issue of hanging for extended periods at POST (which, by the way, is never the same period of time. Sometimes it may be 30-40 seconds, other times it may be a few minutes). I have found the issue can be most frequently reproduced when restarting the system as opposed to booting from a completely powered off state.

I understand the process of USB enumeration but I am confused as to why this issue (of ALL the USB devices I have used on my system) is only present with this particular keyboard and with this level of intermittence.

Thanks for your hardware information Deiter. Let me see if I can have our team acquire this motherboard and see if the issue can be replicated. Can you confirm for me the FW on your keyboard too?

Edited by Corsair James

Thanks for your hardware information Deiter. Let me see if I can have our team acquire this motherboard and see if the issue can be replicated. Can you confirm for me the FW on your keyboard too?

Thanks again James.

I actually have a spare ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mk 1 mobo (I always purchase 2 of every component when I build a PC to ensure redundancy in case of a component failure and thus eliminate down time), however as I am in Australia, the freight back and forth to the US would probably cost almost as much as the board! Anyway, it's a current SKU so you shouldn't have any issues procuring one state-side :)

Please let me know if you need anything else tested at my end.

Does 2) mean we should disable Fast Boot in BIOS? Since the description of it talks about minimum initialization during boot.

Same issue here, just bought K65. I can either wait 5 minutes for comp to boot up, or I can unplug the keyboard and its fine. May need to return if patch isn't released soon.

MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Hero

Windows Professional 8.1

Edited by E_dizzy

Tried all of these, even though regarding 2.), I couldn't find any option like that in my BIOS. Either way, the problem still persists. My motherboard is the ASRock Z97 Fatal1ty Killer. I felt like the latest BIOS update from Dec 31 helped a little bit, though, and I'm seeing the delays less often at the moment. Still, they're not gone, so please fix this asap.

Edit: Okay, I'm not seeing the delays less often, just was lucky for a few days apparently, since it's happening all the time again now. Hoping the new FW update is ready soon :sigh!:

Edited by cor9

So basically here are my issues with this keyboard:

1) When I reboot my PC, or turn it on cold, the keyboard never works/starts in the correct profile that I have it set in. It ALWAYS starts in the Red/White stock array. I have to log into Windows and then open the CUE client for it to work.

2) My computer sometimes lags at start-up and won't move past the "ASUS" monitor screen. When I reach behind my computer and quickly unplug/re-plug in the keyboard from the USB port, it bypasses this screen and initiated start-up. Although this seems to be a temporary fix, its incredibly annoying and should be an issue with an almost $200 keyboard.

3) Lately the keyboard/CUE software isn't working well. The keyboard will not change to the proper array when CUE is started, and instead gives me a "No Device Detected" error. This is something new and I resume to be happening because I updated CUE semi-recently.

Questions that I have and need to be answered ASAP:

1) Is Corsair even giving 2 sh**s about their customers and trying to fix this? Because it's literally been ~3 months with no fix.

2) How should I be plugging in this defective piece of crap? 1 USB? Both USB? Into USB 2.0 or 3.0? What is the most effective way to handle this?

3) How much compensation will Corsair give to their loyal customers who they are taking advantage of week after week, after week? (Obvious troll question, as Corsair will never do something like that...)]

Thanks! :mad:

Edited by mkp0203

Just received this K70 and having the same issue. I can get past the splash screen, but Windows takes about 2 minutes to boot from the welcome screen.

I should mention that even after unplugging the keyboard I still have about a 2 minute + boot time. I went from about 30 seconds to over 3 minutes. I don't know what happened, but this occurred after plugging in the keyboard and doing a reboot. I've went into msconfig and booted with minimal services started, same issue. If I go into safe mode it works fine. I tried to do a roll back and I'm having issues with that as well. All of this from this keyboard? Looks like it will go up for sale. I am not OK with having increased boot times with SSD drives. I am also running the latest BIOS. All of this started yesterday after plugging in and updating the firmware on the keyboard. This is just crazy.

Edited by DarkAcid