Corsair Community

Corsair Vengeance 1500 volume drops on its own

Shatterglass

Hi all -

I'm a Mac guy posting on behalf of my son, so forgive me for not having all the system specs on hand. Windows 10, all the most recent updates, drivers, and control panel.

The Corsair Vengeance 1500 USB headset seems to work fine for a while, and then it's like a poltergeist is holding down the volume key on the keyboard. The volume drops to nothing, and as soon as we click the keyboard shortcut to turn the volume back up, the ghost takes over and holds the volume down key until there's no sound.

After some research we thought it might be Skype taking over, but it happens even without Skype running. It happens using any software, although most often it's running Steam or Overwatch.

We've also fooled with the exclusivity options in the audio properties, but that hasn't helped. I have a machine running Windows 7 Pro on which we've tested the Vengeance and it seems to work OK, but again, sometimes it takes a while for the problem to occur.

I can't seem to find anyone else who has this same problem. Any ideas?

Thanks for the reply — that's probably a good place to start; I'd been looking for a software conflict instead.

I plugged the headphones into my Windows 7 machine this afternoon and was able to reproduce the problem after about 10 minutes of watching Windows Media Center.

I popped off the volume buttons on the inline controller and sprayed some electrical contact cleaner in there; the little rubber contact in the down volume button was missing so it wouldn't click (my son didn't bother to tell me that — I suspect I vacuumed it up by accident one day), so I trimmed a piece of rubber band to size and jammed it in there as a temporary fix. Fingers crossed…

Archived