The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 10:29 AM
trackrat's PC Specs

POST ID # = 476043
trackrat Reputation: 10

Looks like mobo/BIOS issue to me - as Gigabyte tech suggested.

PLEASE READ THE MEMORY UPGRADE GUIDE at the link below. It WILL answer many questions.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87341

PC Overclocking is like the lottery:

There are many possible combinations but only a few that produce winning results. Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to overclocking. If you are able to tune your hardware to run beyond it's specified performance, then you got something for free.

Don't expect this to always happen.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:21 AM
Christer's PC Specs

POST ID # = 476130
Christer Reputation: 10

With a single module, in slot 2, Memtest86+ v4.10 returned errors this morning (cold start). In BIOS > DDR Timing Items > I changed from "Auto" to "Manual".

The setting for 1T/2T Command Timing appear as [2T] (the manual setting) but the SPD setting and Auto setting are both "--".

Is it supposed to be like that?

Old 11-12-2010, 05:35 AM
Christer's PC Specs

POST ID # = 476133

Quote:
With a single module, in slot 2, Memtest86+ v4.10 returned errors this morning (cold start). In BIOS > DDR Timing Items > I changed from "Auto" to "Manual".

The setting for 1T/2T Command Timing appear as [2T] (the manual setting) but the SPD setting and Auto setting are both "--".
I have updated the BIOS to F3. No change regarding the quoted setting!

I will test the RAM in dual channel, first slots 1+3, next slots 2+4. Fingers crossed.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Christer's PC Specs

POST ID # = 476171

Quote:
CPU-Z reports the Command Rate as "1T". Is this the SPD setting for these modules?

(Is there a spec sheet to be downloaded from somewhere?)

Last edited by Christer; 11-12-2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 11-12-2010, 02:57 PM
trackrat's PC Specs

POST ID # = 476200
trackrat Reputation: 10

Most BIOS use a 2T default setting with multiple modules as this is typically more stable. If your system will run stable at 1T fine, otherwise set it to 2T.

Don't know of any spec sheets to download. The DIMM has the RAM timings and voltage on the label.

PLEASE READ THE MEMORY UPGRADE GUIDE at the link below. It WILL answer many questions.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87341

PC Overclocking is like the lottery:

There are many possible combinations but only a few that produce winning results. Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to overclocking. If you are able to tune your hardware to run beyond it's specified performance, then you got something for free.

Don't expect this to always happen.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Christer's PC Specs

POST ID # = 476202

Quote:
I will test the RAM in dual channel, first slots 1+3, next slots 2+4. Fingers crossed.
If it works without cold start problems, case closed.

Quote:
If your system will run stable at 1T fine, otherwise set it to 2T.
If the cold start problems are still happening, I'll try 2T.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Christer's PC Specs

POST ID # = 476288

BIOS F3 was not the solution.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Christer's PC Specs

POST ID # = 476303

Changing the Command Timing from 1T to 2T was not the solution.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:14 AM
Christer's PC Specs

POST ID # = 476355

Quote:
Both combinations resulted in cold start errors running Memtest86+ v4.10.

I will test the RAM in single channel, first slots 1+2, next slots 3+4.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 476377
Wired Reputation: 32

Did you get around to testing one stick at a time in the same slot?
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 11-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Christer's PC Specs

POST ID # = 476385

Wired,

Quote:
Did you get around to testing one stick at a time in the same slot?
Not yet but I'll get around to it a.s.a.p. It takes time because the system must cool down between the tests and only one test a day can be carried out. That means ten more days, not counting the days I'll be away from home, if I have to test both modules in all four slots to get a "conclusive" result.

(Gigabyte GTS recommended running single channel (slots 1+2 or slots 3+4) as a temporary solution. That's why I want to test this first.)

In a previous post, I asked about the Command Rate. Right now, the modules are in slots 1+2, single channel and I noted that CPU-Z reports the Command Rate as 2T. It seems like, with the BIOS setting in "auto", one module per channel > 1T, two modules per channel > 2T but in BIOS, it still shows up as "--". The "--" is consistent, at least and that mystery is solved.

Last edited by Christer; 11-14-2010 at 05:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 11-16-2010, 05:23 AM
Christer's PC Specs

POST ID # = 476589

To summarize, with F3 BIOS:

Dual channel in slots 1+3 and slots 2+4 > cold start errors, running Memtest86+ v4.10, showing up during the first pass after a few minutes.

Single channel in slots 1+2 and slots 3+4 > no cold start errors, running Memtest86+ v4.10 for several passes/hours.

I was about to run single module tests but I don't think there will be cold start errors. Four days ago, when there was cold start errors with a single module in slot 2, I had not yet updated the BIOS to F3. However, if you disagree, I'll run single module tests.

I had concluded that the modules simply aren't matched to work in dual channel when I had a new message from Gigabyte GTS. I must say that I'm impressed by their support:

Quote:
We did run a complete test to check your reported error with exact same hardware as you, and with us everythings works fine in any slot combination.

We did use the latest F5a BIOS with the test. You may try use the latest F5a BIOS as well:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...?pid=3517#bios

Use this procedure when flash BIOS:
Download, extract and copy actual BIOS file on to the root directory of a USB memory stick. Enter BIOS by press DEL at boot, then Enter Q-flash utility by press F8 from BIOS screen. In Q-flash change “Keep DMI data” to “disable” before upgrade the BIOS file. The USB memory will appear as a hard drive in Q-flash. After successful flash, reboot, enter BIOS and load optimized defaults. Save (F10), exit and reboot.
That supports my conclusion but I'll update the BIOS to F5a and run the dual channel tests. Kind of "back to square one" with fingers crossed.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Christer's PC Specs

POST ID # = 476601

While browsing the web for reviews of the TW3X4G1333C9A, at Newegg I found reference to TW3X4G1333C9A G.

I checked the box in which my modules were delivered. It had "TW3X4G1333C9A G" printed on the label. I've seen no reference to the G at Corsair. What's the significance?

I also zoomed in on the pictures at Newegg and saw a much higher version number (ver9.1) than om my modules (ver2.2). What's the significance? Have I been sold old modules and newer ones work better?

Old 11-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 476603
Wired Reputation: 32

G is not part of the part number. G = RoHS compliant.

Version numbers have nothing to do with when they were made and only indicate which IC manufacturer was used.

Because single and dual channel configurations use different slots, it's still recommended to test one stick at a time.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 11-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Christer's PC Specs

POST ID # = 476606

Quote:
Version numbers have nothing to do with when they were made and only indicate which IC manufacturer was used.
My conclusion is that they are different and if the version tested by Gigabyte GTS is different than the one I have been blessed with, the version may be the cause of my problems.

Quote:
Because single and dual channel configurations use different slots, it's still recommended to test one stick at a time.
If it doesn't work with BIOS F5a, I will!

Quote:
No, I don't work for Corsair!
Please, don't misunderstand, I appreciate the input from everyone but maybe someone who works for Corsair has something to add?