Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 + TW3X4G1333C9A

Christer

Hello all,

new guy on the forum!

I have problems with cold starts.

The first motherboard was Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 rev.2.0.

Running Memtest86+ v4.10 returned errors. If I restarted the computer and Memtest86+, the errors kept coming. If I powered off, waited a minute, started the computer and Memtest86+, no more errors.

I tested the modules in different slots. Failures in slots 1 and 2. No failures in slots 3 and 4.

I RMA'd the motherboard and specified that I wanted a Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 rev.2.1 which I also received.

The problem is the same ... :(: ... !

The memory modules TW3X4G1333C9A are on the corsair Phenom II memory list but not on the Gigabyte Memory Support List. Are these modules compatible with my system?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The RAM should be compatible based on Corsair's testing. Mobo QVL lists are never inclusive of all compatible RAM. Have you tried a BIOS update?

It's also worth noting that on this mobo Gigabyte requires the DIMMS to be in slots #3 and #4 for OC'ing of the RAM. While you may not be OC'ing the RAM, slot #3 & #4 may function better for some design reason????

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128443

trackrat,

Have you tried a BIOS update?

Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 rev.2.0 came with BIOS F1, not updated

Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 rev.2.1 came with BIOS F2, not updated since F3 is a beta

It's also worth noting that on this mobo Gigabyte requires the DIMMS to be in slots #3 and #4 for OC'ing of the RAM.

That was a note for Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 rev.2.0 but Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 rev.2.1 does not have this limitation.

While you may not be OC'ing the RAM, slot #3 & #4 may function better for some design reason????

That would be the simplest solution but what would happen if I, at a later date, decide to add two modules to make it 8 GB?

Additional information, the design differences between rev.2.0 and rev.2.1 are substantial:

rev.2.0:

Channel 0 = slot 1 and slot 3

Channel 1 = slot 2 and slot 4

For dual channel, using two modules, they should go in slots 1+2 or slots 3+4

If we call the modules A and B:

I tested 1A+2B and 1B+2A for dual channel, both with cold start problems

I tested 3A+4B and 3B+4A for dual channel, no cold start problems

I tested 1A+3B, 1B+3A, 2A+4B and 2B+4A for single channel, all with cold start problems

The problem seemed to be connected with slots 1 and 2 but not with slots 3 and 4 and this was the reason for RMAing the motherboard and not the memory modules. ("It's also worth noting that on this mobo Gigabyte requires the DIMMS to be in slots #3 and #4 for OC'ing of the RAM." was the reason for requesting rev.2.1.)

rev.2.1:

Channel 0 = slot 1 and slot 2

Channel 1 = slot 3 and slot 4

For dual channel, using two modules, they should go in slots 1+3 or slots 2+4

I have only tested the combination 1A+3B which resulted in cold start problems.

Plan:

I will test a single module in slot 1. Module A tomorrow and module B the day after. Maybe that singles out one defective module?

If you get it all sorted out, be aware that a future update to four DIMMs would require that you buy ONE tested, matched, RAM kit to insure proper operation as mixing of two RAM kits is not guaranteed to work and often will not - per the Upgrade link in my signature.

trackrat,

If you get it all sorted out, be aware that a future update to four DIMMs would require that you buy ONE tested, matched, RAM kit to insure proper operation as mixing of two RAM kits is not guaranteed to work and often will not - per the Upgrade link in my signature.

Yes, I know but the issue right now is if I'll get the same cold start problems as I'm experiencing now.

If I fit the two current memory modules in slots 2+4 and it works fine with no cold start problems, that would be a temporary solution since I'm almost convinced that fitting four modules will result in cold start problems.

Obviously if the RAM works fine in two slots and not in the other two slots, the RAM isn't likely to be the issue. I find it unusual for Gigabyte to be selling a mobo where only two memory slots function properly however. Have you contacted Gigabyte to see what they say since this is your second mobo with similar issues? Have you tried manually setting the BIOS parameters for the RAM?

trackrat,

Obviously if the RAM works fine in two slots and not in the other two slots, the RAM isn't likely to be the issue. I find it unusual for Gigabyte to be selling a mobo where only two memory slots function properly however.

I agree. I have built a number of computers based on Gigabyte motherboards and have never had any problems. I have struggled with this one for a couple of weeks but a week ago, I assembeld a computer for a friend, based on the same motherboard, processor and memory modules, just to see how it would work ... :eek: ... not a trace of problems!

Have you contacted Gigabyte to see what they say since this is your second mobo with similar issues?

Not yet but I'm considering it. I actually ruled out the motherboard since the memory modules are the common denominator in this case.

Have you tried manually setting the BIOS parameters for the RAM?

No, I bought these "standard" modules in order to relieve myself of learning to much about settings ... ;): ... but a friend actually recommended upping the voltage from 1.5 V to 1.55 V (depending on the increments of the settings).

trackrat,

Have you contacted Gigabyte to see what they say since this is your second mobo with similar issues?

Now, I have sent an Email to Gigabyte Global Technical Service. I can only hope for a quick response (like yours, thanks by the way!)

Here's the prompt response from Gigabyte Global Technical Service:

The memory controller is inside the CPU, and it is not managed by the motherboard. So change motherboard will not work. I guess there is a incompatibility between the CPU and memory.

You may first try to upgrade to latest F3 BIOS to get latest memory support from this link:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3517&dl=1#bios

For your information: I know other had same problem with the Phenom II X4 945/955/965 series CPU, and need to run memory in separate channels as a temporarly solution. Our BIOS team is avare of, and working with this problem, and if it is possible to make a workarround from BIOS, it will be fixed in next BIOS release.

A beta BIOS just means it hasn't officially been determined to be error free. Usually after enough people try a beta BIOS and report any issues, it's finalized and officially released. Now if we're talking a Windows O/S, it's always in beta mode and never corrected... :(:

trackrat,

The F3 version is no longer "beta" and I think I'll update but not until I have repeated the tests (that I did on rev.2.0) on rev.2.1.

Gigabyte GTS also said

Our BIOS team is avare of, and working with this problem, and if it is possible to make a workarround from BIOS, it will be fixed in next BIOS release.

but I don't think that refers to F3.

I'll be back!

I have moved the same single module from slot to slot. When running Memtest86+ v4.10, it reports:

In slot 1 and slot 2:

Settings: RAM : 666 MHz (DDR1333) / CAS : 9-9-9-24 / DDR3 (64 bits)

In slot 3 and slot 4:

Settings: RAM : 200 MHz (DDR400) / CAS : 9-9-9-24 / DDR3 (64 bits)

CPU-Z reports the correct DRAM Frequency (~667 MHz) with the module installed in any slot.

In BIOS settings, I have tested "Load Fail Safe Defaults" as well as "Load Optimized Defaults".

This gets increasingly confusing!

With a single module, in slot 2, Memtest86+ v4.10 returned errors this morning (cold start). In BIOS > DDR Timing Items > I changed from "Auto" to "Manual".

The setting for 1T/2T Command Timing appear as [2T] (the manual setting) but the SPD setting and Auto setting are both "--".

Is it supposed to be like that?

With a single module, in slot 2, Memtest86+ v4.10 returned errors this morning (cold start). In BIOS > DDR Timing Items > I changed from "Auto" to "Manual".

The setting for 1T/2T Command Timing appear as [2T] (the manual setting) but the SPD setting and Auto setting are both "--".

I have updated the BIOS to F3. No change regarding the quoted setting!

I will test the RAM in dual channel, first slots 1+3, next slots 2+4. Fingers crossed.

CPU-Z reports the Command Rate as "1T". Is this the SPD setting for these modules?

(Is there a spec sheet to be downloaded from somewhere?)

Most BIOS use a 2T default setting with multiple modules as this is typically more stable. If your system will run stable at 1T fine, otherwise set it to 2T.

Don't know of any spec sheets to download. The DIMM has the RAM timings and voltage on the label.

I will test the RAM in dual channel, first slots 1+3, next slots 2+4. Fingers crossed.

If it works without cold start problems, case closed.

If your system will run stable at 1T fine, otherwise set it to 2T.

If the cold start problems are still happening, I'll try 2T.

Archived