The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 09-22-2006, 08:11 PM
washu9's PC Specs

POST ID # = 263071
washu9 Reputation: 10

I though I weren't 'overclocking' since the only thing I'm changing the setting on is the DRAM? (and I did change it to the specified specs after all)

I realize that the 975X chipset does not 'officially' support 1067Mhz DDR2, but I heard that there was an announcement that Gigabyte's motherboard that actually support the speed (while still using 975X)

So... does it mean that if I'm setting the DRAM freq at 1067Mhz, I'll be pushing the 975X MCH well beyond it's specs?

I should probably leave it at it's standard setting then... which is not much... compared to other brand DDR2.

Is there any justification paying the premium price of the 8500C5 if I need to run it like a standard 6400 (which doesn't cost even half of the 8500C5) IF I want a stable system?

Are you an 'official' rep of Corsair????
Cause you don't seem to be that knowledgable in the product.
At the very least, tell me the actual EPP profiles settings for 800Mhz speed so I can start from there. (I can't find it on the Corsair website)

Old 09-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 263077
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Quote:
Are you an 'official' rep of Corsair????
Cause you don't seem to be that knowledgeable in the product.
At the very least, tell me the actual EPP profiles settings for 800Mhz speed so I can start from there. (I can't find it on the Corsair website)
LOL
Yes I am an official Corsair Rep! And the MB you have will not support EPP technology. EPP is for AM2 platform only at this time. It will set the tested settings for the specific module you have IE: if its XM2S-6400C3 they would set the settings needed to run the tested settings for those modules! However, if you have a CPU that will not support the settings or in the case of non FX CPU's the EPP setting may not function properly!
Quote:
Is there any justification paying the premium price of the 8500C5 if I need to run it like a standard 6400 (which doesn't cost even half of the 8500C5) IF I want a stable system?
I have already answered this in my previous post's!
Quote:
So... does it mean that if I'm setting the DRAM freq at 1067Mhz, I'll be pushing the 975X MCH well beyond it's specs?
Yes! Please read what I have posted previously!
Quote:
I realize that the 975X chipset does not 'officially' support 1067Mhz DDR2, but I heard that there was an announcement that Gigabyte's motherboard that actually support the speed (while still using 975X)
I have not seen it with any MB based on I975 chipset as of yet, but as the MB bios matures it might very well happen.
Quote:
I though I weren't 'over clocking' since the only thing I'm changing the setting on is the DRAM? (and I did change it to the specified specs after all)
Over clocking does not necessarily mean just the clock frequency, it can be done with the memory timings as well. But its still technically over clocking!

Old 09-22-2006, 11:28 PM
washu9's PC Specs

POST ID # = 263088
washu9 Reputation: 10
Default Crashed

Well it crashed after 6 pass on the DDR2-1067.
So I'm trying the tighter timing on 800Mhz now.

What I meant by requesting the EPP profiles settings is that I was asking on the parameters set (the timings that the modules was tested on specified speed). I was NOT asking to actually use EPP. Anyway, I already found it on some review website just now (could u confirm this: EPP High performance setting: 800Mhz (200fsb) 4-4-4-12, I presume the DRAM write recovery is 2T)

The thing I'm not so clear about on EPP, is wheter it's different on every package of DDR2 or the same for a type of module (eg. the same for all 8500C5)

Since this is 'also overclocking' I'm currently testing it with memtest again.

Thank you for the prompt response. I really appreciate it.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:58 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 263272

Quote:
What I meant by requesting the EPP profiles settings is that I was asking on the parameters set (the timings that the modules was tested on specified speed). I was NOT asking to actually use EPP. Anyway, I already found it on some review website just now (could u confirm this: EPP High performance setting: 800Mhz (200fsb) 4-4-4-12, I presume the DRAM write recovery is 2T)
Please follow the link I gave you previously or the link in my signature called "What are the correct timings for My Module?" The Tested (AKA EPP settings are listed) along with the make and model of MB we use to test the specific make and model or models of MB's we use to test the modules on our production line!

Quote:
The thing I'm not so clear about on EPP, is wheter it's different on every package of DDR2 or the same for a type of module (eg. the same for all 8500C5)
I am not quite sure what you are trying to ask, but here goes:
EPP will set the pre-defined settings for a given part when its enabled. Example:
With EPP enable on a MB that supports it; the bios will set the settings for you, with one exception some MB's may have to set the memory Voltage manually:

Testing parameters for Twinx/XMS2-8500/C5:

Motherboard make and model: Asus M2N32-SLI Premium/Deluxe
Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings:
AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual
OC Operation: Disabled
NOS Operation: Disabled
CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 268 MHz
PCI CLK1: Auto
PCI CLK2: Auto
DDR2 Voltage control: 2.200V
CPU Core Voltage: Auto
CPU Multiplier: 10
DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 800MHz
DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual
SDRAM CAS Latency: 5T
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 5T
SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 5T
SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 15T
SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 5
1T/2T: 2T
A1 Clock Skew: Auto
CKE: Auto
CS/ODT:1.00X
ADD/CMD:1.00X
MEMCLK:1.00X
DATA: Auto
DQS: Auto
DRAM: Auto
All other settings are motherboard defaults.
Maximum DDR2 recommended VDIMM: 2.2 Volts

Old 10-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Jungle_Jon's PC Specs

POST ID # = 264363
Jungle_Jon Reputation: 10
Angry ASUS P5W DH Deluxe & Corsair PC8500

I'm more than a little peeved… I based my decision to drop the dollars and pick up a couple of matched gigs of XMS2 PC8500 based on the recommendations posted on Corsair's website, i.e. “Best for over-clocking”. Only to see that the PC8500 will never be able to reach it’s potential because as “RAM Guy” says it’s an Intel 975 chip issue and a limitation of the ASUS board. If this is the case why is it listed as “Recommended”? There is no reason to buy it if it won’t do any better than the less expensive sticks!!! Am I wrong? I’ve looked all over the web and I haven’t been able to find one person who has been able to get these sticks to work with the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe at their rated throughput… Am I wrong?

Old 10-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 264366

Jungle_Jon,
Yes I think maybe a bit miss informed. Sorry!
The modules we list as compatible are indeed compatible, but if you use a MB and CPU different from what we have listed in XMS Qualifications and testing or use different settings there is no way we can guarantee that you would be able to run these modules at their tested settings. In this case we use the ASUS M2N32-SLI Only to test these modules.
That’s not to say you cannot use a different MB just that’s what we use to validate the modules. And with the MB you have even the reviewer had to go beyond the max suggested voltage to get the system stable.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY
Just verified with our LAB guys and ASUS peak on this motherboard is 1000MHZ><. You may want to email the reviewers on how they got their results, but this is our straight up honest answer.

Code:
CPU Ratio | Memory Speed | Best Memory Timings / (Voltage)
Highest Mem Speed (1:2) | 1104 DDR2 | 5-5-5-15 2.35V
by voiding the warranty apparently :)

Last edited by RAM GUY; 10-05-2006 at 04:08 PM.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Jungle_Jon's PC Specs

POST ID # = 264377
Jungle_Jon Reputation: 10
Unhappy You are correct, I was miss-informed

RAM Guy,
I was miss informed, yes, but by the Corsair website. If you go to the Corsair Memory guide, enter search by motherboard, Asus, P5W DH Deluxe, it lists the PC8500 and the PC8888 as recommended for the P5W DH Deluxe. This seems to me to be incorrect and should be changed. Why would Corsair list a product as recommended that only gives the owners of that board grief? And the “Facts about the Intel 975X Express Chipset” section, does not mention the limitations nor does the board section… I appreciate your candor and valued input, but I still think honesty in advertising is important too...
Jon

Old 10-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 264402

Jon,
If you are an experianced over clocker you will understand. thats for over clocking and its listed as an over clocking part.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Invalidfilename's PC Specs

POST ID # = 264535
Invalidfilename Reputation: 10
Default Please Help !!!..

I have a pentium 4 dual core 3.46 extreme edition cpu
4 gigs of memory using Corsair ( TWIN2X2048-8500C5)
Asus P5W DH DEluxe motherboard
xFx Geforce4 7950 GX2 vid card

When I boot up my system it comes up with 4 gigs of memory. When I go in windows RIght click my computer an goot general it only comes up with 2 gigs of memory. ANyone ever see this or knows why it happens?.. If I do a dxdiag it also comes up at 2 gigs... Thanks for any help!!

Old 10-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 264544

That is normal, in Windows XP any application will not have access to more than 2.0 Gig of memory by default. How much memory is showing in Bios?

Old 10-07-2006, 05:10 AM

POST ID # = 264567
Robolf Reputation: 10

Windows XP 32bit edition that is, to use that amount of RAM you need the 64 bit edition.

Rob

Old 10-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 264786

Or Windows Vista, or Unix or Linux! However, any 32 Bit O.S. will have the same limitations!

Old 10-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Strikez's PC Specs

POST ID # = 266514
Strikez Reputation: 10
Idea Memory timings

Quick question is it hard on the ram to run timings with lower settings? and running them this low what are the benifits if any?

I have PC2 8500 dominator ram 2 gigs running at 4-3-4-4 2t @1010 mhz<---in the bios of the p5w dh deluxe @ 2.2 volts.

I know they are suppose to be 5-5-5-15 default. Thanks

Last edited by Strikez; 10-25-2006 at 03:38 AM.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 266638

No as long as the system is stable and you dont go over the tested or suggested Voltage which is 2.2 for XMS8500C5. and 2.4 Volts for the Dominator XMS8500D5 modules!

Old 10-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Strikez's PC Specs

POST ID # = 266714
Strikez Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
No as long as the system is stable and you dont go over the tested or suggested Voltage which is 2.2 for XMS8500C5. and 2.4 Volts for the Dominator XMS8500D5 modules!
The packaging on my ram says 1066mhz xms2 pc2-8500 cas5 (top right in a circular stamp) with DOMINATOR in blue and large lettering on the front, and a bar code on back with twin2x2048-8500C5D. Therefore can I safely crank the ram to 2.4 volts? or is this the 2.2 volts? Sorry for the newbie questions.