The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 04:10 PM
molotok's PC Specs

POST ID # = 580131
molotok Reputation: 10

Hi all,

I am currently running the same memory modules in my P8Z77-V pro. The system posts ok, detects the memory, and shows correct timing and frequency info (bios 0906). So far I had no issues running apps/games in Windows 7.

However, I do notice that before the system POSTs, the motherboard cycles through all of the on-board LED indicators, including the memory status showing up red for a split second and then everything is cleared and the system boots to my desktop screen within 10-12 seconds.

I found the following in the manual (manual, page 2-6, Memory configurations):
"This motherboard does not support DIMMs made up of 512MB (64MB) chips or less"

Could this be the case with the CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 modules? However, if this was a severe system architecture issue, none of us would be able to run these modules due to clocking incompatibility.

So I am starting to lean towards hardware design margins theory. I suspect that the reason why my system seems to work OK with it is because my particular controller or memory might be from a batch of silicon that was let's say 5% faster than other batches (i.e. some process corner that had faster transistors than others). This could give my controller/memory the extra headroom to adjust the frequencies and timings that just barely allow my system to synchronize and lock successfully with this particular set of memory sticks. This would explain why some controllers work with it and why others dont.

To prove this theory I should be able to adjust frequencies a little bit and see massive faiures.

Alternatively if you crank up the memory bus frequency you might overcome this problem. To do so you'd need to borrow somewhere a set of memory sticks that work, load bios, crank up frequency, save changes, turn off pc, put back your memory and then restart the machine.

However, this leads to only 1 conclusion - this memory was never meant for this motherboard.

Thoughts?

Last edited by molotok; 05-23-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 580150
peanutz94 Reputation: 84

No, as the Vengeance series was designed and tested specifically for the sandybridge platform. So the architecture is not the problem.
Quote:
To prove this theory I should be able to adjust frequencies a little bit and see massive faiures.
Again, not necessarily true. Especially with the Vengeance series that were designed to run at higher frequencies with the same 1.5v

Most issues with the new z77 platform and memory comes from immature BIOS's. Just because a BIOS update lists "improved memory compatibility, that does not mean it covers all modules.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:03 AM
molotok's PC Specs

POST ID # = 580235
molotok Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutz94 View Post
So the architecture is not the problem.
I agree with you on that (I tried to say the same thing in my previous post). But I was thinking that although fundamental architecture wasn't a problem, the hardware margins were. However, I ran today a bunch of simple overclocking tests on Cpu and memory and everything worked astonishingly well and stable (stressed with prime95).

So now I am puzzled as to why there would be such severe symptoms in other systems (esp. Sakkath, who seems to have almost identical specs as I do).

Old 05-25-2012, 04:37 AM
mr_yogi's PC Specs

POST ID # = 580505
mr_yogi Reputation: 10

Just a quick update; I tried one of the kits in my brothers Socket 1156 i7 system with a gigabyte board and it worked fine at the specified timings (1600, 10, 10, 10, 27) so I guess that leaves either the CPU or the Asus P8Z77-v as the probelm part.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 580538

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_yogi View Post
Just a quick update; I tried one of the kits in my brothers Socket 1156 i7 system with a gigabyte board and it worked fine at the specified timings (1600, 10, 10, 10, 27) so I guess that leaves either the CPU or the Asus P8Z77-v as the probelm part.
Thats what it sure looks like. Sorry to hear that. Now it's just a matter of narrowing down the problem part. I would suggest the MB first. Very seldom do i see a bad CPU even though it is a possibility.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:38 AM
mr_yogi's PC Specs

POST ID # = 580539

Well I've also got a Sandy Bridge Pentium system so when I get a spare moment I'll install that and see what happens. Hopefully there will be another BIOS update which muight fix it in the near future, but with people reporting that the modules work on the Pro version with the same BIOS revision as the non Pro I doubt that will be the solution :(

Old 06-19-2012, 04:52 AM
mr_yogi's PC Specs

POST ID # = 585326
Big Grin

Just to update this thread in the hope it might be useful to someone in the future. I haven't got round to trying my other CPU in the P8Z77-v but I did notice that there is a new BIOS version (1205) available as of 1st Jun 12. It DOES NOT list improved memory compatibility as one of it's features (where as the Pro versions 1206 BIOS does), but I thought I'd give it a try anyway.

So I flashed the BIOS, I had to remove all-but-one DIMM to get the motherboard to boot from the new BIOS even with the MemOK button, as with previous BIOS upgrades. As a note, the manual suggests for best compatibility to use slot B1 for a single DIMM. My board wouldn't boot with this config, but using A1 worked. I then enabled XMP through the BIOS and rebooted. This time it worked so I powered down and reinstalled the rest of the DIMMs.

I now have the XMP profile set in the BIOS and 2 kits of CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 (32GB in total) running at the correct timings of 10-10-10-27 at 800MHz base clock, as confirmed by the BIOS and CPU-Z. I'm so happy I haven't got to go through the hassle of RMAing the board, and the system is running sweet.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Sakkath's PC Specs

POST ID # = 586397
Sakkath Reputation: 10

Hi, I RMA'd the board about 7 weeks ago and am STILL waiting for it back.
Unfortunately the customer service is a disgrace in Switzerland.
I believe the board is currently with ASUS to get repaired. I pushed and pushed for a replacement to the faulty motherboard, but was getting nowhere. I don't speak the language and didn't fancy employing a very expensive lawyer so I'm waiting for the repaired unit.

I've had a thoroughly awful time with this. It was my fault for not checking the compatibility charts, but frankly I'm amazed that significant manufacturers (ie ASUS and Corsair) are releasing their leading products without testing them together.

My nightmare scenario is that I'll get the motherboard back in a week or so, and it still won't work with the Corsair RAM (which is now 2 months old and probably far too old to RMA).

Old 06-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 586402

Quote:
I'm amazed that significant manufacturers (ie ASUS and Corsair) are releasing their leading products without testing them together.
QVL and compatibility charts are just a list of what they HAVE tested with. It's nearly impossible from a time/money aspect for them to be able test every combination of modules to all the different combinations of motherboards. With that said that does not mean that modules that do not appear on a QVL will not work. If they meet the basic specs for CPU/MB then they should be fine.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Sakkath's PC Specs

POST ID # = 586506

Totally understand that Peanutz, but I find it seriously odd that one of the most popular (or certainly in the top few) IvyBridge motherboards doesn't work with newly released RAM from one of the most popular brands. And 2x4GB from the same product line works, but not 2x8GB, so it's not obvious (to me anyway) that there should be a problem.

Maybe I've been very lucky, but I've built myself several PCs over the past ~15 years and never had this kind of problem before.

BTW I updated to the 1015 bios before I RMA'd but it didn't help. Hopefully the more recent 1206 might help when I eventually get the thing back.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 586540
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

It is hard to say what is actually wrong at this point but these modules are indeed compatible with that MB. The only thing I can assume is that one of the modules was failing or miss programmed. Especially if they both ran fine one up.
If you have not done so I would get them replaced and let us know if you have any more issues.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:21 AM
Sakkath's PC Specs

POST ID # = 586607

Thanks RamGuy, good to know they are in fact compatible.
I hope that's the case when I get the M/B back.
I'll post back to confirm for people's interest. It's been 7 weeks since I sent it for RMA, so the RAM chips are almost 2 months old now. Might be a bit too much to RMA them if they are in fact faulty?
I'll hope for the best and test when I get my M/B back.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 586727
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Well the memory is no problem; we have a lifetime warranty no matter what happens.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Sakkath's PC Specs

POST ID # = 589010

Finally persuaded them to give me a replacement motherboard after I was told the repair was going to take at least a few more weeks (2 months after I'd sent it back!)

V-Pro was out of stock, so I got a Z77 Sabertooth. It worked first time with the RAM in dual configuration (0906 BIOS). Yay!
Now I just need to return the H80 cooler which it turns out is faulty!

Thanks for the help and advice.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 589020

Quote:
V-Pro was out of stock, so I got a Z77 Sabertooth. It worked first time with the RAM in dual configuration (0906 BIOS). Yay!
Awsome! Glad to hear you got it straightened out and are up and running!

ASUS can be a pain to deal with sometimes. But i have learned with them you keep pressuring them and you can eventually get what you wnt. I've had to RMA my current MB three times due to RAM detection issues. And every single one of them i was able to set up an advanced RMA. Same with a laptop that was a lemon. I eventually got the whole thing replaced and even finagled a pretty good upgrade to boot!

It took a lot of complaining and arguing, but i got what i wanted in the end! It's a shame you have to go that far in the first place.

I mean,You get a refurbished board back to begin with. So i don't see why they do not want to send them out in advance? *shrugs*

Last edited by peanutz94; 07-07-2012 at 06:36 PM.