The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 03:53 PM
JohnPapp's PC Specs

POST ID # = 564741
JohnPapp Reputation: 10
Default CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 + Asus Sabertooth X79 No Post

I just got my Asus sabertooth x79 motherboard from New Egg and put together a system with the i7-3820 cpu and 32 gigs of Corsair vengeance (4x8 ram) (CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10). Corsair guarantees this ram in the sabertooth x79 motherboard.

When I power the motherboard the POST State "DRAM_LED" stays lighted and the system doesn't post. The manual says that when the DRAM_LED stays lighted continually it might indicate that the DIMMs are incompatible with the motherboard and may causing a system boot failure. The manual instructs to push the MemOK button to begin "automatic memory compatibility tuning for sucessful boot. When I do this the system stops and starts a few times and the DRAM_LED stays lighted and the system nevber posts.

I called Asus and they RMA'd the motherboard but the replacement board still does not post with the Corsair Ram. Tomorrow the New Egg replacement of the Corsair Ram arrives. Will it fix the problem? Was it a ram problem? Doesn't seem to be since I can't even get one ram bar to work. It would seem to be unlikely that all the bars are bad. Am I doing something wrong? I did not want to wait for Corsair to exchange my ram (two weeks) it was better to have New Egg overnight it to me. But it will be the same ram and I am paranoid that it might not work.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 564756
Wired Reputation: 32

You mention that you couldn't get one bar to work. Did you test each one by itself in the appropriate slot as designated by Asus?

Sidenote: Which OS are you running? Not all will be able to use that much memory.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 02-29-2012, 05:56 PM
JohnPapp's PC Specs

POST ID # = 564763

Post means Power On Self Test. I can't get the computer to post which means that it is stopping in its self tes. No video, no drives, no boot nothing but fans and a red light on the motherboard that according to Asus means there is a memory problem. When I contacted them they thought it was the memory "controller?" thingymajig in the mother board that was the problem but a new motherboard didn't fix it. So now I gather it must be the corsair ram I bought. But how could all of them be bad?

Old 02-29-2012, 05:58 PM
JohnPapp's PC Specs

POST ID # = 564765

Yes, I tested one bar in the appropriate one bar slat as directed by Asus.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 564768

Your memory controller is in your CPU.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group

Old 03-01-2012, 12:09 AM
JohnPapp's PC Specs

POST ID # = 564820

Sounds like there is a big problem with the Vengeance 4x8 rambars (C
32Gx3M4x1600C10) and the Asus Sabertooth x79 Motheboard. So much for being on the "bleeding edge". Where is the Ram Guy when we really need him?

Old 03-01-2012, 02:58 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 564842

Split the other posts to their own threads.

John, you can't assume that, as one guy is having an issue with non-Corsair memory, and the other guy was mixing memory that has not been tested together.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:51 PM
JohnPapp's PC Specs

POST ID # = 564898

New replacement set (32 gb 4x8gb) (CMZ32GX3M4x1600C10) just arrived overnighted from Newegg, you gotta love their service. Installed the replacement set and have the same problem. What to do now? I have replaced both the MBD and Ram and still the same problem...red mem light stays on and system won't post.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:52 PM
JohnPapp's PC Specs

POST ID # = 564899

Has anyone had luck with this ram in the Sabertooth x79 MBD?

Old 03-01-2012, 06:33 PM
JohnPapp's PC Specs

POST ID # = 564952

Talked to Asus again and am going to try a third Motherboard.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:30 PM

POST ID # = 564973
dyrby76 Reputation: 10
Default Asus Sabertooth x79 problem resolved!

Hi guys, I had the same problem that you all report and I have just solved it (at least for me). So I wanted to quickly write to you all and share what I found out.

With the Sabertooth x79 motherboard it doesn't recognize the Corsair ram or most of the other normal brands of ram out of the box.

What you need to do is to go to asus homepage and download the latest Bios. Get it here: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int..._X79/#download

Now you download the newest version and put it on a USB stick in the root directory with nothing else on that USB stick.
Note: RENAME the file to "SABERX79.ROM".

Now put insert the USB stick in the back of your motherboard where it has a BIOS button. It has a white box circling the USB to insert it in.
All you need to have is the motherboard and the powersupply, nothing else is required (but its ok if you have it all hooked up).
Don't try to start the computer, just have the power cord hooked up. The green light on the motherboard lights up to show you have power.

Now all you do is press the BIOS button and hold it for 3 seconds or so. It will start to flash. Now you leave it to its business for some minutes until the blue flashy light on the BIOS button turns off.

Now you can take out the USB stick and turn on your computer. It will now recognize your Corsair ram and any other brand you may use.

Good luck guys! I hope it works for you too!

Old 03-02-2012, 12:17 AM
JohnPapp's PC Specs

POST ID # = 565011

Thanks a million, dyrby76, it worked.

I called Asus tech support twice and returned 2 motherboards. I also returned a set of corsair ram after two calls to corsair tech support. Though I can't expect Corsair tech support to know about this USB stick trick.

So much for Asus phone tech support. I was even told by Asus tech support that I couldn't update the bios without the system posting. This trick is not in the user guide either. The Sabertooth x79 user guide says that to use "easy flash 2" you have to go into "the advanced mode of the setup program".

Old 03-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 565135
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

That is something that ASUS built in their BIOS a few years back called Easy BIOS recovery; so I would expect it to work with any MB using the same BIOS kernel, but I am shocked that ASUS Tech support did not tell you that. or that you could even try that.
At any rate thanks to you both for sharing we will pass it on to our tech support for our information.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:49 PM

POST ID # = 565148
resto2 Reputation: 10

hi guys - having the same problem as well - but, BIOS update as you describe - that doesn't work!! do you know why?

Old 03-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Mike_Lang's PC Specs

POST ID # = 565163
Mike_Lang Reputation: 10

JohnPapp, Microcenter says that once they applied a BIOS update the board started getting through POST. I hope that solves your problem too... nvm, just saw your reply.

Enjoy the RAM!

Last edited by Mike_Lang; 03-02-2012 at 06:27 PM.