Corsair Community

Will CMG6GX3M3A1866C7 X.M.P. Profile Harm My CPU / Motherboard?

THXEngineer8

Hi,

I've just intalled 6 Gb of CMG6GX3M3A1866C7 into a new build computer using an ASUS P6T7 WS motherboard and an Intel i7-975 CPU. All settings are "stock", as I have not yet started to overclock.

In the motherboard's BIOS, when I go to set the DIMM speed to "X.M.P." profile, the "DRAM Bus Voltage" is automatically set to 1.66 Volts by the X.M.P. profile. Everyone knows that setting this voltage higher than 1.65 volts will cause the end of the universe as we know it! :laughing:

Seriously, though, will having this voltage higher than 1.65 volts harm my CPU? According to Intel, it will. Also, the CMG6GX3M3A1866C7 is advertised and states in it's specs that it can achieve these speeds at 1.65 volts. Why would the X.M.P. profile be setting this voltage to 1.66 volts?

Should I enter all of the other X.M.P. specs manually in the BIOS and set the DRAM voltage manually to 1.65 volts?

Also, is it correct that when I do start to overclock, the X.M.P. profile will not function and that I'll have to enter these values manually?

Thanks for your assistance.

Hi Yellowbeard,

Thanks for the response. The BIOS I'm using is the original that came with the board, version 0210. There is a newer version 0303, that I haven't yet flashed. The current BIOS requires you type in the actual voltage you want, instead of having a list with increments to choose from. So I could manually input 1.65 if I need to, but not when using an XMP profile.

Is it normal / correct for this particular DIMM to have an XMP profile with the voltage set to 1.66 V or is something strange going on with my motherboard's BIOS, etc.?

If I do need to set things manually, are the approx 7 items that the XMP profile sets the only items that I need to change and leave everything else set to "auto"?

Thanks.

Archived