Corsair Community

2x 240GB in RAID 0 VS 1x 480GB Neutron XT

candeh

Hey,

I am planning to get the new Neutron XT SSD when they will be available.

And I am not sure what to get. 2x 240GB in RAID 0 or 1x 480GB.

Will my system be much faster in RAID 0 mode or there wont be much difference? Also are there any cons for running in RAID 0 instead of single 480GB SSD?

Cheers

If you are always writing or reading files from/to the SSD, it would technically be faster in RAID0 than a single drive. The downside of RAID0 is the loss of all data if one drive fails.

A single SSD is already, quite fast. The performance difference from a single to a RAID0 may be small if you are only comparing it to loading times e.g. Windows start-up, application loading times etc.

• Administrators

Think of it this way:

One truck can move 300 pounds of material down the street. If you have two trucks, you can move 600 pounds of material down the street.

Now because there's some overhead speeds may not double exactly.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2365767/feed-your-greed-for-speed-by-installing-ssds-in-raid-0.html

• 2 weeks later...

If you want an SSD for shear speed then purchase a PCIe based SSD (read and write speeds will be over 800MBps and up to 100,000 IOPS) if it's within your budget.

SATA based SSDs can't compete with a PCIe based SSD at those speeds.

SSDs in raid arrays are a Marketing Tactic of Manufacturers to increase hardware sales. Tom's hardware (the oldest and most trusted authority) did extensive testing with SSDs in raid arrays and found that in some cases a Single SSD was faster than the array.

Archived