Corsair Community

Ryzen 3700X High Voltage ICUE

mbggz03

Does anybody know of a fix for this without sacrificing any sort of performance? If I were to close iCue then all of a sudden my cores will sleep, my voltage drops, and my temps drop by about 5C. With it open, everything spins back up again to values that are not too pleasing.

Thanks,

Mark

Does anybody know of a fix for this without sacrificing any sort of performance? If I were to close iCue then all of a sudden my cores will sleep, my voltage drops, and my temps drop by about 5C. With it open, everything spins back up again to values that are not too pleasing.

Thanks,

Mark

To minimize the impact of this with Zen2 CPU's you can combine the following ...

- Use at least Windows 10 version 19.xx

- Use latest AMD chipset drivers

- Use latest BIOS with "AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4 Patch B"

- Use 1usmus Custom Power Plan for Ryzen 3000 Zen 2 Processors

- If you're worried about performance impact you can pin iCue to your slowest or least used cores using Task Manager or other software.

Since I have a Commander Pro I decided to use the hardware lighting options provided so I generally don't need to run iCue on a daily bases to run my lighting effects but you do loose the more advanced lighting options.

Your CPU is working normally...also see the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen

I remember correctly someone in the forums some time ago discovered iCue was using some insanely high timer resolution value and that was suspect in the program behavior with these CPU's. I suspect also if iCue was 64-bit including the services it wouldn't have to go though SysWow64 and might be more efficient that way. (looking at recent software updates it seems they have been moving toward 64bit in some services)

In the end it was always a minor annoyance (was running a 3800x at the time) but never any real issues because of it. For people using air cooling fan speed ramp up might have been an issue but setting custom fan curves will help in that situation.

The problem is they've programmed the software in a poor way. For most users, who are using static lighting (static being the keyword here), there's no need for any software control over that. It's static lighting. I don't see how hard that can be with addressable RGB LEDs, unless you're programming it poorly. Also, check your Task Manager, under Details (enable the column "I/O reads"/"writes"), you'll notice iCue has millions of I/O operations EVEN WHEN YOU'RE USING STATIC LIGHTING. Maybe that's for fan curves, but even then... That's too f****** much, Corsair!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I don't know, there should be a way to reduce so many operations. This kind of software should be more "idle" focused, instead of so many live operations stealing CPU and I/O cycles from the system. It's colored LEDs, we're not crunching Pi or going to the Moon here, folks! \o

The problem is they've programmed the software in a poor way. For most users, who are using static lighting (static being the keyword here), there's no need for any software control over that. It's static lighting. I don't see how hard that can be with addressable RGB LEDs, unless you're programming it poorly. Also, check your Task Manager, under Details (enable the column "I/O reads"/"writes"), you'll notice iCue has millions of I/O operations EVEN WHEN YOU'RE USING STATIC LIGHTING. Maybe that's for fan curves, but even then... That's too f****** much, Corsair!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I don't know, there should be a way to reduce so many operations. This kind of software should be more "idle" focused, instead of so many live operations stealing CPU and I/O cycles from the system. It's colored LEDs, we're not crunching Pi or going to the Moon here, folks! \o

The I/O thing is new to me...do you know if that is specific to storage I/O or just some aggregated number?

When I look at the I/O in task manager I see nearly corresponding counts between Corsair.Service.exe and Corsair.Service.CpuIdRemote64.exe. Likely the programs are using a form of IPC to communicate with each other, maybe memory-mapped-files, so as long as it's not burning up the disk the I/O's shouldn't be an issue. I would guess the The I/O's are probably sensor data or control data for the RGB's.

Edited by A Computer Guy

The main issue is that iCue accesses hardware sensors continuously... and there's non need to do that if one uses other monitoring softwares or just want iCue to control RGB.

When Ryzen CPUs came out, many monitoring softwares weren't acting correctly (for example HWiNFO), but within a few updates they worked correctly. On this side iCue seems to be stuck at Ryzen's debut.

Baio

The main issue is that iCue accesses hardware sensors continuously... and there's non need to do that if one uses other monitoring softwares or just want iCue to control RGB.

When Ryzen CPUs came out, many monitoring softwares weren't acting correctly (for example HWiNFO), but within a few updates they worked correctly. On this side iCue seems to be stuck at Ryzen's debut.

Baio

Even if you need iCue to control cooling with a commander pro, there's no need to poll data so often. once per second would be prenty fast already.. you can't ramp up fan speed instantly and no cooler will die if it has to soak a little more heat until fans ramp up 2 seconds later..

Personally i got tired of waiting so i'm slowly getting rid of anything corsair i have to ultimately be able to ditch iCUE. Only keeping the keyboard on a static lighting.

Okay gear with ****e software at premium price so far. Nobody even comes to listen to customer feedback and the only and easy answer we get is RMA your stuff.. I wish we could RMA iCue that would make a lot of Corsair users happy!

Even if you need iCue to control cooling with a commander pro, there's no need to poll data so often. once per second would be prenty fast already.. you can't ramp up fan speed instantly and no cooler will die if it has to soak a little more heat until fans ramp up 2 seconds later..

Personally i got tired of waiting so i'm slowly getting rid of anything corsair i have to ultimately be able to ditch iCUE. Only keeping the keyboard on a static lighting.

Okay gear with ****e software at premium price so far. Nobody even comes to listen to customer feedback and the only and easy answer we get is RMA your stuff.. I wish we could RMA iCue that would make a lot of Corsair users happy!

I got the reverse decision... I don't care anymore about CPU temperature and Vcore as I keep it @default... I prefer RGB customization over a few degrees less (that don't change anything, even in a long term vision).

Obviously I agree with you... Corsair should provide us with a more efficient version of iCue... let's keep hoping.

Baio

My main issue is microstutters in games whenever the corsair service decides to have a hiccup. Right now i need it to control the Commander Pro but that added lag kicks my nerves everytime.

I got over the RGB novelty personally so, back to ambient static, but yea, even if you do not care you shouldn't have to see a last gen CPU heat up to control a few hundred LEDs.

I Installed the Logitech G Hub on my work laptop, having fun with the audio spectrum display on the keyboard (without needing a headset of the same brand...), and the service uses no CPU power. When i start iCUE to light the other keyboard on static, the fans take off with 10 - 20% CPU usage.. At that stage it's thrashware..

Reworking iCUE is beyond trying to satisfy customers.. It's an urgency to try to safeguard what's left of Corsair's brand reputation because that wreck of a program plagues all the ecosystem.

I bet it would only take a few months, stopping updating the current one to focus on testing what takes so much CPU power, and rewriting what is wrong.

Of all the software i tried, iCue is the most feature rich but that thing kills it.

My main issue is microstutters in games whenever the corsair service decides to have a hiccup. Right now i need it to control the Commander Pro but that added lag kicks my nerves everytime.

I got over the RGB novelty personally so, back to ambient static, but yea, even if you do not care you shouldn't have to see a last gen CPU heat up to control a few hundred LEDs.

I Installed the Logitech G Hub on my work laptop, having fun with the audio spectrum display on the keyboard (without needing a headset of the same brand...), and the service uses no CPU power. When i start iCUE to light the other keyboard on static, the fans take off with 10 - 20% CPU usage.. At that stage it's thrashware..

Reworking iCUE is beyond trying to satisfy customers.. It's an urgency to try to safeguard what's left of Corsair's brand reputation because that wreck of a program plagues all the ecosystem.

I bet it would only take a few months, stopping updating the current one to focus on testing what takes so much CPU power, and rewriting what is wrong.

Of all the software i tried, iCue is the most feature rich but that thing kills it.

When playing games have you tried pinning iCue to your least used core?

When playing games have you tried pinning iCue to your least used core?

Assassin's Creed caps them all at 100% unless i don't move at all. Hard to say which one is the least used.

Edit : i'm totally off topic, i use a different CPU.. even if the problem is the same ^^'

Edited by LeDoyen

• 1 month later...
I changed my Icue lightning effect to static and now my cores go to sleep and my voltage is much lower. Can someone try this and see if it works for you. When I swith it back to light effect the cores stop sleeping and voltage goes up. I also limited software control for corsair rgb ram. It makes the voltage average even lower. Im on the newest version. Hope this helps Edited by Mikhail*

• 3 weeks later...

I also have a 3700x and noticed that iCue revs up the core voltage to around 1.38-1.4 consistently. I close it and voltage drops properly while idle.

Removing iCue after many years of using it, which really sucks. Not getting to use the nice SDK / The Division 2 integration is really going to blow.

I also have a 3700x and noticed that iCue revs up the core voltage to around 1.38-1.4 consistently. I close it and voltage drops properly while idle.

Removing iCue after many years of using it, which really sucks. Not getting to use the nice SDK / The Division 2 integration is really going to blow.

I don't understand why so many are so concerned about the voltage. The CPU is automatically managing it - in fact at a rate much faster than software can keep up with. Unless you are bypassing the built-in safeguards your CPU isn't going to burnout and the CPU is likely to survive long past it's usefulness. This isn't an issue exclusive to iCue as many software can trigger the CPU boosting behavior (like Steam). As the CPU increases load the voltage will drop.

If the other issues with iCue aren't an issue for you sit back and enjoy using iCue, try out the SDK, etc...

I don't understand why so many are so concerned about the voltage. The CPU is automatically managing it - in fact at a rate much faster than software can keep up with. Unless you are bypassing the built-in safeguards your CPU isn't going to burnout and the CPU is likely to survive long past it's usefulness. This isn't an issue exclusive to iCue as many software can trigger the CPU boosting behavior (like Steam). As the CPU increases load the voltage will drop.

If the other issues with iCue aren't an issue for you sit back and enjoy using iCue, try out the SDK, etc...

Thanks for the response. It just seems crazy to me to have my voltage constantly at 1.4v and not even be overclocking (yes I know it technically does overclock with small boosts via PBO). Also, with iCue enabled not only are my voltages higher, but temps are about 5-10c higher. I use a Corsair H115i AIO cooler too.

I guess this is a trade-off. I need to figure out what's more important to me, but it drives me nuts that nothing else I use causes this behavior - and I use MSI Afterburner, Rainmeter with monitoring GPU.

Also, C20 score went from 4715 to 4887. Not sure if this will result in better gaming performance, but interesting nonetheless.

Edited by Treadpool
Added Cinebench 20 change

Thanks for the response. It just seems crazy to me to have my voltage constantly at 1.4v and not even be overclocking (yes I know it technically does overclock with small boosts via PBO). Also, with iCue enabled not only are my voltages higher, but temps are about 5-10c higher. I use a Corsair H115i AIO cooler too.

I guess this is a trade-off. I need to figure out what's more important to me, but it drives me nuts that nothing else I use causes this behavior - and I use MSI Afterburner, Rainmeter with monitoring GPU.

Also, C20 score went from 4715 to 4887. Not sure if this will result in better gaming performance, but interesting nonetheless.

Not even PBO just Precision Boost. Yes the increased temps can be an issue not because of the actual temps so much but when it relates to managing fan control for noise, in particular for air coolers. I was using 3800x and H100i and set the fans on low even when gaming and it was just fine even if it did run a little warmer.

Well I was using Ryzen Balanced power profile and decided to try the 1usmus profile and disable PBO in bios (which I had enabled before) and it seems to let my voltage drop now. It now drops to about 1.05v with iCue enabled and about two cores sleep. When iCue is closed though, a couple more cores sleep and the idle voltage drops even more. I might take this balance and roll with it, assuming gaming performance doesn't take a hit either from this new setting or from iCue being activated again.

Edit: I'm actually not sure if the 1usmus profile vs Ryzen balanced actually makes a difference. It's probably just from disabling PBO.

Edit2: It 100% makes a difference to use 1usmus profile. Now I'm wondering if that's the key - and PBO on or off doesn't matter. Will test

Edit3: TLDR; use 1usmus profile and problem solved with the voltages not settling and cores not sleeping with iCue enabled But note that with iCue disabled the core voltage drops further, bringing temps down further so there's still something funky going on.

Edited by Treadpool

Noticed something else interesting. When I closed out Discord while iCue was running, my system properly set 4/8 cores to sleep and everything was perfect, voltages drop as they should. When I have Discord open with iCue, it keeps core voltage at 1.05-1.10 and only sleeps 2/8 cores. When I close iCue and Discord is running, behavior is perfect again and it sleeps 4/8 cores, voltages drop again. Guess they don't like each other?

None of my other programs seem to impact anything: Chrome (11 tabs open), Rainmeter, Spotify, LGS, 1Password, MSI Afterburner.

Noticed something else interesting. When I closed out Discord while iCue was running, my system properly set 4/8 cores to sleep and everything was perfect, voltages drop as they should. When I have Discord open with iCue, it keeps core voltage at 1.05-1.10 and only sleeps 2/8 cores. When I close iCue and Discord is running, behavior is perfect again and it sleeps 4/8 cores, voltages drop again. Guess they don't like each other?

None of my other programs seem to impact anything: Chrome (11 tabs open), Rainmeter, Spotify, LGS, 1Password, MSI Afterburner.

Discord is also known to take some resources but not as much as iCUE (or atleast if you are not in several servers with constant traffic)

I've managed to idle my 3700 with iCUE using sz Ryzen Balanced v4 power plan. Voltages go below 1.0 easily but still if I close iCUE they drop further to <0.8 and most cores go to sleep.

The issue is present for all CPUs anyway. New Ryzen CPUs are more trigger happy when it comes to CPU usage

iCUE taking huge amounts of CPU issue been there for ages - now we are just noticing it much more because of this.

Edited by BahamutxD

Discord is also known to take some resources but not as much as iCUE (or atleast if you are not in several servers with constant traffic)

I've managed to idle my 3700 with iCUE using sz Ryzen Balanced v4 power plan. Voltages go below 1.0 easily but still if I close iCUE they drop further to <0.8 and most cores go to sleep.

The issue is present for all CPUs anyway. New Ryzen CPUs are more trigger happy when it comes to CPU usage

iCUE taking huge amounts of CPU issue been there for ages - now we are just noticing it much more because of this.

Interesting - I just added that to my power plan arsenal and you are right. I'm consistently down at .95 while Discord and iCue are open. Sweet. It also doesn't seem to let any cores sleep though unless Discord is closed out - then one sleeps. Pretty cool - will see how it works out for a day or so. Thanks for sharing that!

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting - I just added that to my power plan arsenal and you are right. I'm consistently down at .95 while Discord and iCue are open. Sweet. It also doesn't seem to let any cores sleep though unless Discord is closed out - then one sleeps. Pretty cool - will see how it works out for a day or so. Thanks for sharing that!

PBO activated in bios?