Corsair Community

Best way to set up drainage for Hydro X loop

Hi there,

I'm an absolute beginner looking for some advice on how best to set up drainage on a loop using the Hydro X XD5 res/pump combo. There will be a XR5 240 on top of the case, a XR5 360 on the front of the case, a XC7 cpu block and a gpu block (vertical mount). The pump will be mounted between the mother board and the front rad facing the glass side panel of the case. I will be using the top port on the XD5 next to the fill port for the inlet and 10/13 soft tubing.

Here are the options I have come up with for drainage (noting that I don't want to drill a hole in my case for a port and that removing the glass panel on the case to get full access to the front of the pump will be easy):

Option A: Put a G 1/4 M/M extender on the port right next to the dedicated outlet port and attach the Hydro X ball valve to that extender. I think this will look pretty clean and simple but will it work?

Option B: Put a Hydro X y splitter on the outlet port, use one of its ports for the fitting that starts the loop and then attach the extender/ball valve to the other port on the splitter. I am worried that all that hardware attached to the one port at the front of the pump in full view is going to look a little "busy".

In either case, I am planning on putting a stop plug on the end of the ball valve as well as having it closed when the loop is in action and then, when it comes time to drain the loop, I will take off the glass panel, remove the stop plug and attach a fitting with some tubing on it before opening the valve so the coolant exits the loop outside and below the case.

All suggestions and advice welcome. Thank you very much in advance.

Thanks very much Zotty. That is helpful. I think I am okay with this now. Thank you also for the work you have put into the sticky thread for this section of the forum. Lots of really useful information.

Thank You Sir :) . the Thanks makes it all worth while :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Just wanted to check in and say I have got my first ever loop up and running! In fact, it is the first computer I have ever built so it has been quite the learning experience. Got it to post and installed windows with the stock air cooler that came with the cpu, then managed to get the AMD stock cooler off without ripping the cpu out of the socket :) cleaned the thermal paste off cpu and then installed the two rads and the cpu block and pump res combo as described above.

I have left the GPU block as a separate project for later once I am happy that the rest of the system is performing as it should and as a way of teaching myself how to drain and re-fill the loop.

Thanks again for all the useful information on the forum and a special shout out to those members who have advised newbies like myself to remove the pump pwm connector from a brand new Co Pro when filling the loop. That absolute gem of advice took me from extreme frustration and case gymnastics to a nicely filled and flowing loop in literally a minute. Running my leak test now before connecting everything back up and rebooting the system.

I have no doubt I will be back soon with some more questions but bye for now - gotta check that the paper towel under the fittings is still dry

• 2 weeks later...

Great info, def something I was looking for regarding draining... My questions is what do I need to buy? I just ordered the hydro x yesterday, it hasnt even shipped yet, but when i look at the parts list regarding fittings, heres whats comming with it as far as fittings go based on min requirement for install...

XF Adapter 2-pack (90° Angled rotary; glossy white)

XF Softline 4-pack (10/13mm compression; glossy white)

Now, I know I need the ball valve, and i should have enough soft tubing left over to make the drain. Question is, aside from the ball valve, what other pieces would i need as well as any additional fitments? I dont want to overspend on parts I wont use/need and frankly I dont know what all i need (first custom loop). I wash shocked that after i spent almost $700.00 the dang thing didnt come with the stuff to drain it with? Any and all help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Another question, with all that I have, would just getting the ball valve and attaching it to the pump work? would i need additional fittings?

Edited by creed0330

All you need is a T connexion in circuit at the lowest point possible and a ball valve attached to it, and be inventive on how you put it so it's practical and elegant :p

A good thing to do is also to put another T, in circuit at the highest point with a simple plug on the free end.. to open when you drain your loop, to allow air in.

It's not really mandatory, you can losen a fitting to let air in.

If there's a radiator up top it won't drain buy just opening the reservoir. it can be tricky depending on the loop

Got 2 x 360 mm XR7's up top in mine. drains out easy enough by opening either both taps or a tap and the fill port in the top of my res. yes it'll chug a little as air moves around the loop.. but does drain.. air deffo needs a way in thats for sure

Hey thanks for all the feedback. I am on the website getting a few more fittings, how ever, I cant seem to find the T connection anywhere on corsairs site. Is there a different name for it? Even in their Hydro X adapters it doesnt show up.

Hey thanks, I have that and the ball valve in the cart. will I need any additional compression fittings to accompany those? As mentioned in my OP, the only fittings comming are the min reaquired to install. In other words, Im not trying to spend an extrea hundred bucks on stuff i dont need. So if i just get the y splitter and ball valve, will i need any more fittings to secure thos being that my kit only comes with XF Adapter 2-pack (90° Angled rotary; glossy white)

XF Softline 4-pack (10/13mm compression; glossy white) which is min required to install?

Edited by creed0330

I have soft tubing. I just bought another 4 pack of XF Compression fittings along with the ball valve and y connector. It seems the others fittings i find are indicated for hard lnie tubing. Thanks so much for the help @Zotty