Corsair Community

Corsair. Are you ever gonna fix the high CPU usage?

You might think monitoring is the cause, well, no. With monitoring off iCUE and CorsairService use the same amount of CPU.

You might ask, "Is is controlling lights the cause?" and I would also say nah!

I have been dealing with RGB lights for the last 10 years and controlling them uses very little CPU. Comparable to a MIDI device being controlled by software.

Here is a video of me using 4 Launchpad pros with a laptop, that is an insane amount of LEDs. The CPU usage while controlling the lights is very low.

So please Corsair, make an effort and slash the CPU usage in iCUE, people has been complaining about it for a reason and this problem is showing even more in Zen 2 chips. iCUE and the service are spiking hard and I don't even have a Corsair keyboard or RGB RAM, just some LL fans and strips, I'm sure you can optimize your code.

iCUE is great, please don't let it behave like most un optimized bloatware.

And please fix the H115i Pro freezing and malfunction after you use your CPU at 100%...when that happens you need to actually reboot cause restating the service doesn't bring back the H115i Pro in iCUEs UI.

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by Sacco Belmonte

same here I have only installed the icue software for about a week with my new cooler Hydro Series™ H80i v2 and notice the cpu usage is rather high its the only corsair product I am using apart from my ram but that's not compatible with icue so only the cooler is being monitored :[pouts: it ranges from 30% to 8% usage

ICUBE.thumb.png.41d61a72d2786c5cc1921ae86f9cbd58.png

the high CPU usage is also whats messing with idle states on ryzen CPU's (most notably the 3000 series, but it affects early gens too) as well as breaking turbo states (cores not idling = others can't boost)

i've got static hardware lighting only, and its eating cpu wattage and screwing with single core boost on my 2700x... and support told me its AMDs problem and they wont fix it

The k65 which i have just got should have an internal cpu & memory to control the microcontroller without the need for any software... anyway if you are just using a keyboard disable any corsair services in windows services. Reboot or kill the exes. You can leave the iCUE exe to run as the keyboard only needs this.

As to what the service does, i guess it's uselessly polling every so often to check what is connected. Its bloatware or just badly done. 2% of a modern cpu just to do fancy rgb synchronized effects is erm a bad use of resources.

If anyone from corsair ever reads this (i have also sent an email prior to finding this out) I suggest / HEAVILY recommend you give users a checkbox to avoid the bloatware services ever being installed.

As a side note Linux open source rgb software - ckb-next runs great with the k65, dare i say better than the official windows bloatware! Someone may have to port this back to windows just to avoid the bloat !!!!!

Only i CUE running 1% peaks doing nothing 3% with effects, this almost pushes the same amount of power (watts /cpuz) thru the cpu as watching youtube!!

preview

preview

Edited by JesusNoTLS
pics

As to what the service does, i guess it's uselessly polling every so often to check what is connected.

You guess incorrectly.

However, if you only have a keyboard, it is of little use unless you want to have colors based on temperatures. Then you'd be in something of a pickle.

the high CPU usage is also whats messing with idle states on ryzen CPU's (most notably the 3000 series, but it affects early gens too) as well as breaking turbo states (cores not idling = others can't boost)

i've got static hardware lighting only, and its eating cpu wattage and screwing with single core boost on my 2700x... and support told me its AMDs problem and they wont fix it

I have a Ryzen 3800X and the only way around the issue is to remove iCue. There's literally ZERO chance this is AMD's "fault." This is Corsair's fault.

It's this sort of utterly disgusting attitude that totally soured me to Corsair's otherwise great hardware. I've spent a LOT of money on Corsair hardware and recommended them to my clients and friends, etc. but with iCue and Ryzen 3000, that's all come to an end. I'm about to remove my Commander Pro, all RGB Corsair products (strips, K95 Platinum, Glaive, etc.) and just go with any other product that works as it should.

So sad.

I have a Ryzen 3800X and the only way around the issue is to remove iCue. There's literally ZERO chance this is AMD's "fault." This is Corsair's fault.

It's this sort of utterly disgusting attitude that totally soured me to Corsair's otherwise great hardware. I've spent a LOT of money on Corsair hardware and recommended them to my clients and friends, etc. but with iCue and Ryzen 3000, that's all come to an end. I'm about to remove my Commander Pro, all RGB Corsair products (strips, K95 Platinum, Glaive, etc.) and just go with any other product that works as it should.

So sad.

Just don't want to mess up with your problems with Corsair... but the problems regarding AMD CPU's 3xxx series at the moment are with all monitoring softwares, as they commonly record values from the sensors every second... but those CPU can change status, voltage and speed every 25ms.

So at the moment we just need to wait that AMD releases its papers to developers and that they adjust their softwares.

But the high CPU usage form Corsair iCue is something that starts before Ryzen 3xxx.

Baio

with all monitoring softwares

There is NO such issues with ALL other monitoring software!!! All programs was fixed more than month ago.

I have AIDA64, HWINFO64, MSI Afterburner and ALL of them works perfectly and give a CPU sleep.

Edited by NecroMan

There is NO such issues with ALL other monitoring software!!! All programs was fixed more than month ago.

I have AIDA64, HWINFO64, MSI Afterburner and ALL of them works perfectly and give a CPU sleep.

How can you say the issues have been fixed if Ryzen Master tells half cores are sleeping and all monitoring softwares tell they're all above 4GHz?

Thant exactly what happens in my pc…

Baio

Edited by Baio

• 1 month later...

Right im going to point it out again to Crosair specifically the email reply that told me to check my expectations, the software is bloated, all the rgb keyboards should have ram and cpu to feed the keyboards microcontroller.

If you really want to lower the icue cpu % to near nothing when say a keyboard is inactive, set the sensor logging period to 9999 sec. change the page and close the GUI.

Now the idle cpu% is around 1% instead of 6% --- WHILE DOING NOTHING

I REPEAT FIX YOUR SOFTWARE PLEASE

Hey, hey!

How does this fix an issue when you have nothing selected to export to a log though?

I have nothing checked to export to a log, yet my iCUE CPU usage is around 19.0%. What is your solution? Looking forward to your technical response.

Please do not suggest to deselect Enable full software control. I want 1% or < 1% with your awesome suggestion while Enable full software control is checked!

Mad props bro.

THANKS!

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I just stumbled upon it and want to make my contribution.

I must say that I like corsair products very much (best RGB implementation hands down) and Icue is getting better all the time thanks to frequent updates.

I have I9 9900k cpu and Icue is preventing it from boosting to 5 ghz on stock (probable because it is making windows use more than 3 cores), It only boosts to 4.8 with Icue running in the background. When I turn Icue off than it boosts to 5 ghz within one second.

I have a very clean windows installation without any bloatware (except from Icue).

So please corsair try to improve on that :)

Edited by Patishi

• 2 months later...

It also has ridiculously high GPU usage when the GUI is opening, too.

However, despie high GPU usage it still often drops framerates too low for my gsync monitor to be happy, causing nightmarish flickering if I have gsync enabled for windowed applications.

Why can't I turn off hardware acceleration in the GUI? I don't want or need it, there is nothing special about the GUI other than being awful. The dashboard is inflexible, and the window can't be made small enough to a size that the dashboard could be useful, and the rest is only OK at best.

However, all this is much lower priority than actually making it work reliably, and it's still just freezing the monitoring every so often, 2 years later.

I also have the same issu of high usage. iCUE sits around 19% most of the time but fluctuates to about 13-15%. Also, the task manager field value for power consumption trend is also very high for iCUE use.

This has been an ongoing issue for over a year.

I also have the same issu of high usage. iCUE sits around 19% most of the time but fluctuates to about 13-15%. Also, the task manager field value for power consumption trend is also very high for iCUE use.

This has been an ongoing issue for over a year.

No, it hasn't which is why I suggested you make a new thread about your specific issue with some detail. The person above is talking about something entirely different that has no relation to the thread topic and the person before provides no details at all. CPU % usage varies by CPU core/thread count, but you should be in the 1-3% range for your 9700K.

Generic list of troubleshooting steps:

1) Go to Windows Settings -> App list and left click on Corsair iCUE. Select Modify to do a repair installation. You are grossly over the normal usage and it could be corruption on the prior installation or drivers. This is a general clean up tool as well for strange UI issues.

2) Go to iCUE Settings and select your RAM. The RGB RAM driver was massively improved a while back and essentially eliminated the high overhead for most users. Nevertheless, uncheck "enable full software control" and see if the CPU usage drops. I am using the same RAM on the same version, so it shouldn't be chewing up a lot of resources.

3) iCUE Settings -> General. One at a time, uncheck "enable SDK" and then "enable plugins". Another 3rd party app may be having an unintended action. This blocks the link between the two programs. It's possible you may to restart iCUE after unchecking both boxes to completely sever some connections.

4) Other programs clashing with iCUE over hardware access. This can be a bit hard to pin down, but other monitoring programs or software trying to get the same information or control RGB on the same hardware (even if it can't) may cause undue resource consumption. RAM RGB seems to be the most difficult and there are multiple motherboard programs that might attempt to leverage control.

*Generally, CPU usage will be low on most tabs. However, recognize what it is. If you open to the keyboard layout and the app now needs to render 100+ keys of dynamic lighting while you are looking at it, both CPU and GPU usage will go up for the task. The dashboard is also likely to be higher, depending on how many graphs you add. Most other tabs are low.

Edited by c-attack

No, it hasn't which is why I suggested you make a new thread about your specific issue with some detail. The person above is talking about something entirely different that has no relation to the thread topic and the person before provides no details at all. CPU % usage varies by CPU core/thread count, but you should be in the 1-3% range for your 9700K.

Generic list of troubleshooting steps:

1) Go to Windows Settings -> App list and left click on Corsair iCUE. Select Modify to do a repair installation. You are grossly over the normal usage and it could be corruption on the prior installation or drivers. This is a general clean up tool as well for strange UI issues.

2) Go to iCUE Settings and select your RAM. The RGB RAM driver was massively improved a while back and essentially eliminated the high overhead for most users. Nevertheless, uncheck "enable full software control" and see if the CPU usage drops. I am using the same RAM on the same version, so it shouldn't be chewing up a lot of resources.

3) iCUE Settings -> General. One at a time, uncheck "enable SDK" and then "enable plugins". Another 3rd party app may be having an unintended action. This blocks the link between the two programs. It's possible you may to restart iCUE after unchecking both boxes to completely sever some connections.

4) Other programs clashing with iCUE over hardware access. This can be a bit hard to pin down, but other monitoring programs or software trying to get the same information or control RGB on the same hardware (even if it can't) may cause undue resource consumption. RAM RGB seems to be the most difficult and there are multiple motherboard programs that might attempt to leverage control.

*Generally, CPU usage will be low on most tabs. However, recognize what it is. If you open to the keyboard layout and the app now needs to render 100+ keys of dynamic lighting while you are looking at it, both CPU and GPU usage will go up for the task. The dashboard is also likely to be higher, depending on how many graphs you add. Most other tabs are low.

Thank you, I'll give that a try.

Now just the additional Corsair fan lighting issue to resolve and then I'm set.

Hi all,

Literally just created an account to post and +1 this topic.

My 3770k (@4.2GHz stable) is being permanently used at ~2% by iCUE software and even though it seems commonly accepted, I find this far too high. No other software is using that much permanent CPU while in background managing 'background' small tasks. For sure I don't really need those 2% of CPU but would expect something more classic for this, like <0.02% when in background only.

Using x86 iCUE v3.28.70 (latest at this date), managing:

- H100i v2 watercooling

- K55 keyboard (firmware v30.08 - latest at this date)

iCUE settings:

Only 'Start on system startup' and 'Show only connected devices' are checked

OSD disabled

Dashboard not used nor configured

Sensor logging not configured nor started

iCUE dashboard settings:

Everything unchecked but still seems to gather info in the background anyway

H100i v2 config:

Lighting effects: set to static color and "Temperature Warning" function unchecked

Customized performance profile set for H100i v2 fans

"Extreme" profile set for water pump

Graphing: enabled but I can't disable it

Notifications: not configured

K55 config:

Actions: 1 macro configured (rarely used)

Lighting effects: set to static color

Performance: everything unchecked

Computer:

W10 Pro x64 running on a dedicated Samsung 860 EVO SSD

MB Asus P8P67 Deluxe

CPU i7 3770k (@4.2GHz stable)

RAM 32GB 1600MHz

GPU GTX 970

PS 650W

5 fans FWIW (2x140mm front, 2x120mm for H100i v2, 1x120mm rear)

No other monitoring tool running, and even when I run Core Temp and/or SpeedFan and/or Intel XTU, I can see no change in the CPU used by iCUE

Anyone else feeling the same?

Cheers

Edited by pl4w

Giving my contribution:

PC Specs:

i7-9700K

MSI z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

Vengeance RGB Pro 16gb 3200mhz

MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio

Corsair H150i Pro

9x Corsair HD 120 fans

Mk2 Straffe KB

Glaive Pro Mouse

Commander Pro

As you can see I have a lot of corsair products because I like to use as few softwares for RGB as possible, as my country doesn't quite have every producer possible. However I still like iCue, corsair is almost having a full ecosystem, fully controllable from one software, and a good software too, but there are still flaws that are crutial. In my case, iCue never goes above 4% CPU Usage, however the thing that bothers me is that it creates stutters in games. AC Odyssey for example has no problem running smothly when I close iCue, but with it open, it creates micro-stuttering, and sometimes it freezes the entire PC. The intervals are random, sometimes it stutters 5 times in an hour, sometimes stutters 1 time the entire day....

You should really look into this and fix it.

...however the thing that bothers me is that it creates stutters in games. AC Odyssey for example has no problem running smothly when I close iCue, but with it open, it creates micro-stuttering, and sometimes it freezes the entire PC. The intervals are random, sometimes it stutters 5 times in an hour, sometimes stutters 1 time the entire day...

I am curious about your total CPU usage when playing Odyssey on the 9700K. I had not played that in a while, but did yesterday in the Atlantis DLC map. I was pretty stunned to see my 8700K slamming off the top 100% CPU usage mark in various sections. When that happens, it stutters. It also appeared to crash iCUE, presumably at one of these 100% moments. I am wondering how 6C/12T usage compares the 8C/8T on yours.