Corsair Community

Corsair. Are you ever gonna fix the high CPU usage?

I have a lot of experience with both Origins and Odyssey, both need at least 6 cores cpu to run smoothly without hiccups (that's the reason I upgraded from 4790k to 8700k couple of years ago) and even than, the cpu reach 90%-100% usage many times, but at least it's not stuttering. But if you start to use additional background softwares (like iCue) I wouldn't be surprise if it can't handle it.. For that you need an 8 cores cpu, preferably with hyperthreading. Those are maybe not the most optimized games ever but this is not what causing the high cpu usage, people got to realize that the days where you can play AAA games with only 4 cores CPU are long gone and games in this scale need more. 8 cores CPU is the optimal configuration right now, where 6 is still passable. Don't forget that the computer is handling more that just the game..there is a lot of things that need to run in the background, even simple windows tasks. That's why you need more that just the "Game requirements".

I think iCue is a good software with a lot of potential for future improvements, and I much prefer it over other companies' tools (I'm looking at you gigabyte..) and corsair got the best RGB implementation hands down. As it happened, recently I am having some funky issues in games so I decided to to a clean windows installation and this time didn't install iCue. So I don't have RGB control and case fan control only through the bios.

Right now my CPU (9900K) is working as it should, boosting all the way to 5GHz and much more "relaxed" when in idle state, the clocks goes down to 800MHz pretty often and the temperature is low, usage is at 0%-1% in the desktop while with iCue it was at least 6%-7% all the time and the clocks was bouncing all over the place, not to mention that the cpu didn't even reach 4.9GHz, the maximum was 4.8GHz while iCue was running.

So I'm trying to keep windows super clean this time.. too bad for the RGB though. I replaced the K65 LUX with K70 non-rgb for the time being and unplugged the mouse pad from the usb port, with only the Glaive's hardware rainbow effect and H100i platinum spiral rainbow.

Edited by Patishi

Same here, on an I7-8750H, CPU idle usage is:

- Without iCUE: 0.9% load

- With iCUE and NO device connected: 3.5% load

That is for iCUE in standalone, about 3% of CPU, just doing nothing, simply sitting there, heating the laptop and grabbing energy... :(:

I uninstalled iCUE and finally use my Harpoon mouse in Bluetooth, at least to save some trees on this planet

I am curious about your total CPU usage when playing Odyssey on the 9700K. I had not played that in a while, but did yesterday in the Atlantis DLC map. I was pretty stunned to see my 8700K slamming off the top 100% CPU usage mark in various sections. When that happens, it stutters. It also appeared to crash iCUE, presumably at one of these 100% moments. I am wondering how 6C/12T usage compares the 8C/8T on yours.

I have the same experience.. works flawlessly without iCUE, and micro stutters when it runs in background, also on a 9700K. I even sometimes get proper pauses like 4 or 5 seconds with the game frozen whenever iCue is running. These big pauses are rare but only happen with iCUE. Fortunately, icue isn't needed to manage the commander pro, and the Corsair service doesn't cause issues but still.

iCUE only visibly registers 3 - 5% CPU usage, but if you set the refresh rate on task manager to highest you see that it sometimes peaks pretty high and settles back low. That's why i close it when playing, not just on Odissey.

As for CPU usage with the game, it's not really a matter of optimization. Open world games are always very heavy because whatever comes in range has to be ran, and it keeps loading as you move.

Sure enough whenever i travel, all 8 cores are pegged at 100%.

When i stop moving after a few seconds, it goes down to 55 - 65% and the CPU slightly drops clock.. start to move and back to 100%

• 1 month later...
Same problem, all core of 10700k are at 100% frequency whit low cpu usage, always. When I close iCUE, everything returns to normality. We need fix :(

This happens to me with my 9700, I should close icue completely to restore to normal clocks... Send a ticket that took 15 days to answer and they want to RMA my pieces but I think is the software not the hardware...

This happens to me with my 9700, I should close icue completely to restore to normal clocks... Send a ticket that took 15 days to answer and they want to RMA my pieces but I think is the software not the hardware...

Sure, iCUE is the problem.

I'm having the same issue as well, hence how I found this thread.

My Icue is sitting around 210mb of memory currently, and from what I've seen, usually stays right around there.

I have 4 fans, an H100i, 4 Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 DIMMs, and my motherboard hooked up to Icue.

Is there no way for it to save a small profile and allow you to exit out? Or have some small footprint way to keep the settings on without everything else?

Also, what's up with the other services? Besides ICUE proper, there are 4 other corsair items running on task manager. Isn't 210mb enough for everything? lol

ICUE is cool and handy, but it seems a little much just to color some lights....>.>

Edit: I didn't set up some elaborate light show or anything. All the fans are on the preset "Arc" setting, both same color. H100i, same. DIMMs are on "Rain" setting.

Edited by Blacksad
Clarity

Exactly the same issue with my setup. I have k70 mk2 rgb keyboard, 6 x LL120, 2 x LL140, 4 x corsair lighting strips, H100i platinum, 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO, Corsair MM800 Mouse mat, Corsair St100 Headset Stand, Corsair Dark Core Rgb Pro Se Mouse, Corsair Virtuoso Se, Lighting node pro and Commander pro. Icue kept my 9700k and all its cores up @4.7ghz and yes that was with Ram software control off.

The ONLY way to get my cpu to clock down was to set all corsair hardware lighting profiles to static except the mouse mat and headest stand because they dont support hardware profiles and are running the factory rainbow setting, then i uninstalled Icue with revo and completely removed anything to do with corsair, restarted my pc and now my 9700k clocks down as it should.

Ive tinkered with this for months and tried all sorts of settings, profiles, power profiles etc etc all to no avail. Its a shame because with Icue running and all the lighting hardware running the same custom lighting profile it looks awesome!

• 1 month later...

Just noticed a relatively high CPU usage here as well. Well, when I say high, I mean 1-2%, but all the time, on an i9 10900K (10C / 20T). I have plenty other background programs running and nothing consumes any noticeable CPU (MSI afterburner, various Logitech applications, Greenshot, Steam, UPS monitoring software, Sound Blaster ZX software, GeForce Experience, etc).

It even does this when all lights are set to static. Connected devices are:

Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

Corsair Commander Pro

Corsair RGB Hub

7x Corsair LL RGB fans (but can only use 6 for lights)

Corsair 1000D Super Tower Case (has built in RGB lights on USB ports and on Corsair logo)

I'm not gonna stop using the software, but this means I have to remember to turn it off when running benchmarks, and it will mean slightly higher temps and power usage.

Can't remember it being like this before, when I only had the keyboard. Annoying, for sure!

Edit: also seems to raise CPU frequency permanently. Keeps jumping past 4GHz (all core turbo is 4.9GHz) with the PC at idle.

Edited by Sehnsucht

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe they'll do something now, cos Dave2D just dissed them in his review of the Lenovo Legion 7i which comes with icue controlling the rgb lighting, and has absolutely awful battery life unless you turn it off. Doubt it. I reckon there just literally isn't anyone at Corsair with the technical skills to troubleshoot why their app chews CPU at 3% and likely triggers thousands of CPU wakeups per second for no reason.

I am noticing "Corsair.Service.exe" using approximately 2 full cores of my multi-core CPU, constantly! :( This is unbelievable!

iCUE 3.32.80

H115i PLATINUM CPU Cooler

VENGEANCE RGB PRO RAM (4x 32 GB)

COMMANDER PRO (Channel 1: 4x LL RGB Fans, Channel 2: 4x RGB LED Strips)

CORSAIR, can you please fix this atrocious CPU Usage?

• Corsair Employees

Hey guys, First off, I would like to apologize to everyone that are experiencing this particular issue. Please download and install the latest version of iCUE 3.32.80 just to be sure on the latest version.

This iCUE high CPU usage has already been reported to our software team and they are currently working on a solution to resolve this issue. At this point, we have a good amount of information from you guys (which we really appreciate) for us to evaluate the problem and figure out a way to put a fix in place.

I'll make sure to keep you guys posted as we get more updates in the coming days regarding this issue. Again, I am sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused you.

Just installed 3.32.80 and nothing has changed, it still gobbles up CPU cycles like a fat person at an open buffet.

We give Corsair some **** on this but it's not actually their thing to fix as the software is outsourced to Developex, so they're the ones that need a kick to fix this.

I would've hoped that the high CPU issues would've been fixed after the problems they had with the 3rd gen ryzen not sleeping properly due to this, but obviously not. At this point the only real hope we have is to either ditch Corsair, which I'd rather not do as the hardware is still very nice, or try to make our own version of iCUE which doesn't hammer CPUs.

Just installed 3.32.80 and nothing has changed, it still gobbles up CPU cycles like a fat person at an open buffet.

We give Corsair some **** on this but it's not actually their thing to fix as the software is outsourced to Developex, so they're the ones that need a kick to fix this.

I would've hoped that the high CPU issues would've been fixed after the problems they had with the 3rd gen ryzen not sleeping properly due to this, but obviously not. At this point the only real hope we have is to either ditch Corsair, which I'd rather not do as the hardware is still very nice, or try to make our own version of iCUE which doesn't hammer CPUs.

I can do even better than that after installing 3.32.80 which is an update as the website 'https://www.corsair.com/en-gb/support/downloads' is STILL down it not only went from 1-3% CPU to 1.6-4% CPU it also dleted ALL my saved profiles. So way to go yet again corsair. Maybe this is a sign to say hello Logitech

Edited by stevvie

• Administrators
I can do even better than that after installing 3.32.80 which is an update as the website 'https://www.corsair.com/en-gb/support/downloads' is STILL down it not only went from 1-3% CPU to 1.6-4% CPU it also dleted ALL my saved profiles. So way to go yet again corsair. Maybe this is a sign to say hello Logitech
Where'd you get that link? The UK download site is at: https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/downloads

• Corsair Employees

I'm with you on this, and I am sorry for the hassle. Our SW team is working closely with them to get this thing resolved. Like I said, we are well aware of what's happening in the field, we're making sure that all your guys' feedback are being heard.

If Corsair is not going to prioritize the software backing of their products then I won't remain a consumer. I always thought Corsair was a brand that signified quality. I paid the prices I paid for the keyboard, fans, PSU, and CPU cooler because of that. I am what your advertising team would call a power user, I buy a new multi thousand dollar build every year because I work in finance and love gaming, and frankly because I'm blessed to have enough money that I can always buy what's premium in the industry, but there is no way I can operate a computer with CPU usage at 15% constantly due to a long-term problem that you are deciding is not a big enough priority to acknowledge and rectify as soon as possible. I had a similar problem with logitech. When it came to hardware, Logitech mice were the best on the market in my opinion, but they never solved their software issues. They were consistently told their software was garbage and they never solved the problem. I use a different brand mouse now. I signed up just to write here that I agree with the sentiment in this thread, and as a consumer, I am not mad, but I will not be giving you any future business. I am disappointed

I managed to get it to run in the background at .11% cpu usage through some priority and io hax. 2% or so while on screen, unless it's the dashboard w/ stats, then it's around 3%. On 8700k.

GPU usage remains at 10-15% (when on screen) even set to optimal power on a 2070 super which is unacceptable. I can probably reduce that via nvidia inspector tricks but I'll bother with that later, the background usage was the real nonsense here.

Worth noting I run at fixed clocks and don't have this clock up issue others report since I don't want mine to clock down anyway.

idk, anyone hiring? this took like 10 minutes lol

For me, the problem is related to the version of Windows. I have multiple Windows partitions installed on my PC, and here are my results currently:

Windows 10 Dev Channel Build 20206 - Corsair.Service.exe has High CPU Usage! :(

Windows 10 Beta Channel Build 19042.487 - Corsair.Service.exe behaves normally.

Hope this helps isolate the problem!