Corsair Community

New OC build using Corsair Dominator CMP16GX3M4X1600C7?

RickSinGA

I am in the process upgrading my OC PC. I have been running an ASUS P8H67 Deluxe, i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz, with 16gb Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A299C9.

After getting a new EVGA GTX780ti sc last week I decided to upgrade and see if I couldn't get up to 5.0GHz.

I have already purchased and received a new MB ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe and 16gb of Corsair Dominator CMP16GX3M4X1600C7 before doing any research. Somewhere on Tom's forums I saw a thread that claimed this memory was really designed for a 1156 board and would not OC well on an 1155 board.

My main reason to upgrade is FSX. It loves GHz's to the max.

I am hoping someone here at Corsair can give me the skinny.

Can I use it and will it allow me to run at 5.0GHz? Yes, I will have a water cooler for the processor only.

Rick S.

Can I use it and will it allow me to run at 5.0GHz? Yes, I will have a water cooler for the processor only.

Yes, you can use it ,it is still completely compatible. You may need to set them manually instead of using the XMP profile.

But your CPU will determine your overclock and no one can predict how high you can OC that too

Yeah, you are likely right. I went with a new board that is PCIe 3.0 compliant for the 780 and as long as I am upgrading decided to get water cooling and up my clock speed from 4.6GHz on air. Just wanting to match memory to the rest of it while I had it tore apart.

I don't understand "your better off just buying a high speed kit in first place."?

What is a high speed kit?

Rick S.

Didn't realize the kit you had just saw the 1600mhz. Cas7 1600mhz is pretty fast. I don't think you'll see much difference with anything faster. I wouldn't bother overclocking them. Just stick to clocking the cpu. Just enable the xmp. I don't know why people would say they are only for 1156. Lists x79 and Z68 right on product page lol. If amp doesn't work you just set 1600mhz and then the 4 primary timings of 7-8-8-24 and voltage. Leave everything else auto. I don't see why the xmp would not work tho. Should be fine.

Didn't realize the kit you had just saw the 1600mhz. Cas7 1600mhz is pretty fast. I don't think you'll see much difference with anything faster. I wouldn't bother overclocking them. Just stick to clocking the cpu. Just enable the xmp. I don't know why people would say they are only for 1156. Lists x79 and Z68 right on product page lol. If amp doesn't work you just set 1600mhz and then the 4 primary timings of 7-8-8-24 and voltage. Leave everything else auto. I don't see why the xmp would not work tho. Should be fine.

Thanks Guys..! Thanks for putting the effort and time into this thread. It was really helpful! Thanks!...http://watchfree.me/26/w.png

Yes, it has been helpful, although painful at the same time.

1 last question, If I decide to go to a 4770k at some point, will this memory be compatible? Or, will I need to purchase different type of memory?

Thanks

Rick S.

Yes that true as there is thermal paste between the cpu and ihs on the 3770k, while the 2600k has solder so it runs cooler. A 3770k at about 4.5 or 4.6ghz would be on par performance wise with a 5 ghz 2600k. 5ghz is rare tho unless you are running custom water as most chips needs close to 1.5v.

Archived