Corsair Community

5 year old H50, still runnin strong

Groundswell17

Just realized today that my H50 i bought at least 5 years ago, maybe 6 or more, has lived through 3-4 processors now. 3-4 Motherboards, 2 or 3 different ram sets (corsair of course), new hard drives, new power supply, and 4-5 graphics cards. Hell it even watched me switch from being a pentium guy to an amd guy! It's first cpu was an old timey pentium p4... yeah, single core, but i overclocked the crap outa it with this thing!

Today it's on a fx8350 and still going strong and still giving me overclocking headroom while doing a great job at cooling

When it hit me that it's the oldest thing i'm still using in my current build, older than any single thing at my desk including the desk (aside from my change jar), I wanted to make an account real quick and hop over here to thank the guys at corsair for making such an adaptable product that's performed consistently for so many years now. The water block and pump may be big and bulky compared to the new style ones, but it's still pretty in it's own special way :laughing:

thanks guys, even though everyone copied you by now, keep innovating.

I do have to say that I had an H50 from about Sept 2009 that I used and worked great until I replaced it with an H100i. As far as I know it's still in fine working condition, it was just a bit underpowered for my needs. For me anyway, the H50 seemed very well constructed, durable, and dependable.

I never really thought about modifying the H50 to fit onto a P4. I may just have to try that out some time, as I have one lying around here... now I just need to scrounge up a motherboard for it!

• 3 weeks later...
Just realized today that my H50 i bought at least 5 years ago, maybe 6 or more, has lived through 3-4 processors now. 3-4 Motherboards, 2 or 3 different ram sets (corsair of course), new hard drives, new power supply, and 4-5 graphics cards. Hell it even watched me switch from being a pentium guy to an amd guy! It's first cpu was an old timey pentium p4... yeah, single core, but i overclocked the crap outa it with this thing!

Today it's on a fx8350 and still going strong and still giving me overclocking headroom while doing a great job at cooling

When it hit me that it's the oldest thing i'm still using in my current build, older than any single thing at my desk including the desk (aside from my change jar), I wanted to make an account real quick and hop over here to thank the guys at corsair for making such an adaptable product that's performed consistently for so many years now. The water block and pump may be big and bulky compared to the new style ones, but it's still pretty in it's own special way :laughing:

thanks guys, even though everyone copied you by now, keep innovating.

Yep, mine too..Been in three different computers now and runs 24/7 in my kids computer..Got it 5 years ago now!

Wish I could say the same thing about the H100i!

• 1 month later...
That's good to hear. I installed my H50 in 2/2010 on an I7-860. I hate to jinx myself but everything in the system was bought new and installed at the same time. It is all still original and has been running 24/7 since (besides the occasional power outage). I actually came to the forum to see how long others H50's have lasted to gauge about how long I might have. :headbang:

I've had an H50 since I installed it on an i7-920.. still trucking. I admit that I have thought about replacing it, but it works! I think it's been in the machine since late 2008 or late 2009, can't remember the timeline off the top of my head.

Amazing. I came here looking for any information on just when should I replace my H50. It is going on oh 4 years old now. I see that there is no need.

I keep doing q3 week maint on the unit.. and keep a eye on temps and not one sign of anything leaking.

Guess Ill keep going with my Intel i7 920 and the H50 till shoot.. who knows..

• 2 weeks later...

I agree kwisatzhaderach.. that would be pretty bad. But Ive seen no sign of cracking, or leakage and I cant smell anything either..

guess we got real lucky.

Only problem now, trying to decide what to use on the next system. glad that appears to be some time off.

I just put my retired H50 from 2010 on a AMD 1090T CPU with Asus Crosshair Formula IV MB. OC'd to 3.8. Using push pull with Antec tri speed fans on low. Cools really well. Idles in the low 30's. Max in the mid to upper 40's.

There was a ton of dust in the rad. even though I blew it out regularly. It wasn't appearent until I removed the rad. and the fan. So now I put AC foam filter on the H50 and H100i intakes.

• 4 years later...

I purchased and installed my H50 in January of 2010. I first installed it on an i3-540, and sometime later I purchased an i7-870 to fit in the same motherboard using the same cooler. Here we are in June of 2018 with near 24/7 usage, and this little cooler is still going strong! I am beginning to wonder about the condition of the pumps or the level of fluid remaining in the system as the temps aren't quite as low as they used to be, but it still keeps the system at a respectable temperature, with a 10 minute CPU stress test topping out at 68 degrees. Considering the age of the CPU and the age of the H50, I don't think I could ask for much better, especially considering the poor ventilation of an older case with a modern GPU crammed inside of it.

I am looking to replace it eventually either with another AIO if I ever get around to overclocking the 870, or a full custom loop should I have money to blow when I finally feel the need to upgrade the CPU. But so long as the H50 is still working even then, it will continue to see use, possibly on a donor PC. It has done this well for this long, so I have no reason to believe it won't continue to function well enough for some time to come.

H50 sure is a beast! So is the H100i!

Still have the H50 on the OC'd AMD 1090T. Works like new. Not sure how many hours are on it. It is a lot. I don't use that PC that much anymore.

My H100i has 15,052 hours on it! So does my Samsung HU8550 65" 4KTV that I use as a monitor. Ho Lee F! I know the hours because I put a new Samsung HD204UI 2TB hard drive when I rebuilt this PC in '14. It has the power on hours in the SMART data.

Archived