Corsair Community

Help ! 32GB Domi or Veng under NH-L12 on a P9X79 ?

TVD

Hi please help !

All You experts out there, I'm trying to build a great video-editing machine with Corsair Force 3 SSD

and the hardware in the title (Corsair RAM, Noctua Cooler & ASUS Motherboard) ...

But has anybody - even temporarily - tried this mix with the Dominator (CMP32GX3M4X1600C10)

or the Vengeance (CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10) ???

And do I need to uninstall the Cooler when I put RAM on the Motherboard;

or will it be necessary to remove the top heatsink of the Dominator

(and drop buying a Vengeance-kit@32GB for this combination ?)

because the Dominators (& Vengeances) are to high and bump into the coolingframe ?

Please, please help !!! :[pouts: :confused: :question:

• Corsair Employee

For Video editing unless you are doing 3D Animation, you can use as little as 6 or 8 Gig of memory with out a problem. And Mixing two sets of modules can be tricky at best . And when you install them you cannot mix the sets. IE: One matching set in slots A1, B1, C1 and D1 and the other matching set in slots A2, B2, C2, and D2.

In some cases you may have to slow the memory down to the next lower speed grade when mixing two sets.

OK ... My problem is not mixing the RAM-types . I understand that risk .

I'll "stick" to either Domi's or Vengi's in ALL 8 Rows (maybe at 1333 MHz) !

(e.g. 2 32GB RAM-kit of CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 = 8x8 GB)

And the experts from Adobe (like Harm Millard) advice You to go above

24 GB RAM for cool use of Premiere Pro and 64 GB gives extra RAM-disk .

No, the problem is whether these specific Domi's or Vengi's fit well in the

2 x 4 rows beside the Noctua NH-L12 CPU-Cooler or if there are problems

with the RAM's height versus the CPU-coolers dimensions ???

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Again, has anybody - even temporarily - tried this mix with the Dominator

(CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 or the Vengeance CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10) and

ASUS P9X79, Intel i7 3820 plus the NOCTUA CPU-cooler NH-L12 ???

• Corsair Employee
Again, has anybody - even temporarily - tried this mix with the Dominator

(CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 or the Vengeance CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10) and

ASUS P9X79, Intel i7 3820 plus the NOCTUA CPU-cooler NH-L12 ???

I think you missed my point! Even two sets that are the same lot and part number is still mixing memory and in some cases it will just not work. And yes many have tried it and about 60% will not be able to make it run at the rated speed of the modules when doing this; And have had to slow the memory down to the next lower speed grade. And it does not matter if they are Vengeance or Dominator modules the results will be the same either way.

I think you missed my point! Even two sets that are the same lot and part number is still mixing memory and in some cases it will just not work. And yes many have tried it and about 60% will not be able to make it run at the rated speed of the modules when doing this; And have had to slow the memory down to the next lower speed grade. And it does not matter if they are Vengeance or Dominator modules the results will be the same either way.

Well, YOU miss MY point, I'm not asking about mixing RAM at all ... :confused:

And I actually confirm Your point by my statement :

"I understand that risk . I'll "stick" to either Domi's

or Vengi's in ALL 8 Rows (maybe at 1333 MHz) !"

So in my sentence I try to convey that I'm aware about the reality, that the 8 (same-type-RAM) rows may run at 1333MHz instead of 1600 MHz, right ?

At this moment I'm going to insert either:

32 GB RAM of

CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 = 4 x 8 GB Dominator Quad-Kit

OR

32 GB RAM of

CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 = 4 x 8 GB Vengeance Quad-Kit

on the ASUS P9X79 motherboard and my actual question is whether any of these RAM-types conflict with the Noctual NH-L12 attached to the Intel i7 3820 ?

And if anybody has tried this (dare I say again mix ? no ... :thinking:) combination of motherboard, RAM & cooler and noticed height-problems

or RAM-installation-problems when the cooler is attached first to the CPU ?

And if I then install 32 GB further RAM (of the same-type-RAM-as-the-previous-RAM) will I have to remove the cooler ?

An update is I got some answers from Tech-support claims that :

"The CM Z/P 32GX3M4X1600C10 4x8 will not give enough clearance for

the Noctua D14 cooler."

"Yes the (Noctua NH-L12) cooler will have enough clearance for the memory height."

And if I then install 32 GB further RAM (of the same-type-RAM-as-the-previous-RAM)
If you do this you're mixing memory. There is no way to guarantee that any two kits (even if they're the same part / version / lot #) will work together without testing it.

How I love this forum already; people are SO precise and SO punctual with Your language and Your future-planning for a system build ... :p:

So far I understand Corsair doesn't have a 64 GB memory kit out there, though all motherboard-makers made X79 motherboards with capacity for 64 GB RAM ?

This is in reference to RAM GUY and Wired, who just enlightened me about the improbability of two identical (in order-number at least ;):) RAM-kits at 32 GB working together ... or I shouldn't expect so ??? :confused:

Now there's something interesting, perhaps I should wait untill Corsair actually has a 64 GB RAM-kit ready; for Corsair is of course at the frontline in this area or ...?

Another company has 64GB Kits at 2400MHz !?!?

Oh Dear, I hope I am being company-neutral (and politically correct ?) regarding the size of RAM-kits ... :eek:

Wait, Corsair strikes back !!! ::pirate::

Corsair Blog - Intel X79 Quad Channel Memory Guide

Intel® has made several changes when it comes to memory for the new 2nd generation Intel Core™ i7 processors (Sandy Bridge-E). Corsair has launched new Quad Channel DDR3 memory kits specifically designed for Intel’s new X79 motherboards. Intel has added the ability to run quad channel with up to eight DIMMs for a total of 64GB of memory.

Can't argue with that . It's nice of Intel to ADD the abilty for the time WHEN Corsair comes up with a 64 GB RAM-kit solution or a 32 GB RAM-kit solution that could work with another pair ? I read in Toms hardware-forum that one guy confirmed two sets would work - maybe at lower rate - but still ...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/310162-30-p9x79-deluxe-64gb-corsair-memory#t2081502

So yes they (CMP32GX3M4X1600C10), two sets, work but either in XMP, XMP with manual voltage adjustments, or fully manual. The Dominator's are very robust and have hand picked IC's, so I'd say your chances are good to very good they'll work as Rated.
Excuse me for saying, but he sounds a bit more optimistic and somehow DENIES that the Dominators would crash with another RAM-kit, yes he even believes they might work as rated ?!?!?

Well, maybe Corsair is just about to reveal some 64 GB RAM-kits and wants our attention drawn towards the insecurity of the 32 GB RAM-kits ? :roll:

However all these news are half a year old ??? :rant: This is getting humouristic, I'm sorry ! :rant:

And that elegantly brings me back to my actual question about CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 (or eventually the CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10) :

Will one pair of these RAM-kits (only 1 RAM-kit, OK ?) conflict with the Noctual NH-L12 attached to the Intel i7 3820 ?

And has anybody tried this combination of motherboard, RAM & cooler and noticed height-problems or RAM-installation-problems when the cooler is attached first to the CPU ?

Sincerely Yours hoping that the RAM-kit can be plugged in the Rows without removing the Cooler (or the top of the DominatorVents) ! :sunglasse

• Corsair Employee

For the cooler I am sorry we would not know but the height of the modules for Vengeance are about 2.5" Tall and about 2.35" Tall for the Dominator but you can remove the fins on the Dominator modules making them about 1.7" Tall.

So a lot will depend on the MB layout and how much clearance the cooler will need over the memory slots.

Some have used Low profile fans to provide more room for taller modules or used Low Profile Vengeance modules which are about 1.35" Tall. However these are only available in 16 Gig sets at this time.

Please cut down on the excessive text markup, and please provide links to your quotes next time. Makes it easier for people to read the post.

Excuse me for saying, but he sounds a bit more optimistic and somehow DENIES that the Dominators would crash with another RAM-kit, yes he even believes they might work as rated ?
He can be as optimistic as he likes, but ultimately NO ONE can GUARANTEE ANYTHING without testing it. Needless to say, the more sticks you add, the more complex it gets. Also, motherboard manufacturers put out memory slot spec info based upon the CPU's memory controller. The memory manufacturers always come out with memory to max it out later down the road. Partially because they only get NDA info later on in the design / build cycle, but also because it's not a big piece of the consumer market.

Well, maybe Corsair is just about to reveal some 64 GB RAM-kits and wants our attention drawn towards the insecurity of the 32 GB RAM-kits ? :roll:
What are you talking about?

Will one pair of these RAM-kits (only 1 RAM-kit, OK ?) conflict with the Noctual NH-L12 attached to the Intel i7 3820 ?
What's the height restriction of the heatsink?

Archived