Corsair Community

(650D) confused about usb 3 front panel connection

xanaty

Agreed, this is a pretty rubbish solution, to route cables out through the back. I have an internal header on my mobo for USB 3.0, yet have these cables with an external USB connector on them. Seems a bit half baked if you ask me, why not just make the cables to fit the internal USB header as the new mobo's have this. If this is the best designers in 2011 could come up with, i would rather drop the whole front panel altogether or lose the half baked front USB 3.o sockets, and just use the ones at the back. As currently i have cables in my case not connected to anything and ports that don't work on my front panel... great...

When they released the case.. I think USB3.0 internal headers were not available at the time, MOBO vendors had it externally. I think that's the reason of that design. Hopefully it will get updated down the road.

Your totally right. The internal header design was not complete when the 650 was released. The new Carbide series do have this new header cable.

Hopefully Corsair will throw some input on this.

Its like designing a car with the fuel nozzle built into the dashboard, and having to route the pump through the window to refuel. It may be more convenient to sit inside your car and re-fuel, but its just ridiculous.

That's a really bad example... :roll: lol

Not really, why do i need front USB 3.0 if it involves a half baked solution of running cables all the way through my case and out the back... Just design it properly or lose the front USB 3.0 until mobo's come with internal headers, which guess what, now they do!!...

Read the OP's post "There were no instructions on how I connect the front USB 3.0 plugs to my motherboard. The ends look like they go into an external device and I don't know what to do with this."

No wonder people are confused, i was confused at first as well, because at first you are wondering what the hell external cables are doing on the inside of a case and which fool thought this was the best solution...

They probably don't provide instructions either because they know it would look ridiculous on a diagram...

Not really,

I knew what you meant, I just thought your example was funny. :laughing:

The reason Corsair have added these USB 3.0 ports and cables is because Coolermaster did it first on the HAF X , and in the high end market of cases you can't allow yourself to look behind the times compared to your competitors. Even more so for Corsair as they are still new to the case market.

So I would imagine Corsair thought the idea wasn't ready, but because Coolermaster was doing it, they had to follow suit - to show they were keeping with modern tech.

12 months later and now we have motherboards with proper USB 3 headers. Corsair have shown their new Cases will connect to these headers. I think they are also the first big name to do this too - don't quote me on that though.

So your right, the way to achieve usb 3 sockets on cases was rubbish at first, but I think Coolermaster are to blame for rushing in with a pants way to achieve this.

Corsair went with pear pressure to copy - as did other makes.

Ok good explanation and i realize i went off a on bit of a rant about this, but your explanation makes sense. They have to list similar features on cases to remain competitive etc... As RAM GUY said, hopefully an adapter or new front panel will come out to solve this.

Its like designing a car with the fuel nozzle built into the dashboard, and having to route the pump through the window to refuel. It may be more convenient to sit inside your car and re-fuel, but its just ridiculous.

HAHA, funneh guy! =P

Keep in mind also that the early connectors that were available for us to integrate into the case DID NOT meet specifications. They reduced USB 3 thruput. We decided to not use a cable that would lead users to blame our case/cables for crippling performance on their USB 3 devices.

Keep in mind also that the early connectors that were available for us to integrate into the case DID NOT meet specifications. They reduced USB 3 thruput. We decided to not use a cable that would lead users to blame our case/cables for crippling performance on their USB 3 devices.

Good choice, as I would flip if a cable was the problem with the throughput of the device. Do you have an ETA on when this product will be updated to include a USB 3.0 internal header? I'm sure the thoughts are echoed by many of my compatriots, in that it would be very nice not to have the two extra cables sticking out the back, as it looks ... clumsy.

While not the neatest solution I have a "work-around" I am currently using on my 600t. I have an adapter that came with my mobo hooked up behind my mobo tray with the front usb connecter hooked into it. Not the most elegant, but it is hidden behind the tray and I don't have extra cables going out the back of my case.....

• 1 month later...

Archived